This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

185 loader question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan L (MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 185 loader question
    Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 3:02pm
I bought a Westendorf TA26 loader for my 185.  The guy I bought it from gave me all the brackets that came off his White tractor.  I have spoken to Westendorf and they won't give me a parts list necessary to attach the loader to the 185.  The dealer quoted me $2300 for the parts.  I'm trying to see what parts are useful from what I have and what else I might need.  Does anyone have a TA26 on a 185 and maybe you could send me some pictures?  Or if you know the parts necessary, maybe you could share the parts numbers etc.

I'm just trying to figure out if I can save a little money, $2300 is a bit steep.......
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 6:28pm
Westendorf doesn't even have it on hand. They would have to build it and ship to your dealer.  
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 9:26pm
Better off to redo the brackets you have.                    MACK
Tom59 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 6:15am
If you could find a owners/installation manual for AC 185 tractor that would probably show you what you need or missing. I think the Westendorf TA-26 loader I brought new came with a manual and separate set of instructions for my MF275 tractor I mounted it on. I think my loader and mounts would fit a MF 255 through 285 tractors. I think if you had that information you could figure out what you needed and what you needed to modify.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 6:51am
Usually you take off any front weights and front weight brackets and bolt on a U-shaped saddle for the loader frame to fit into. This fits under the grille. Then, there are pieces that bolt to each tractor side frame. Optional extra brackets to go to each rear axle to protect the tractors chassis.
ac-mike View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac-mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 7:38am
Would the TA-26 be like the WL-42 loader?
D-12III, 200D, 170G, HD-3, D19D 3pt, D17D High Crop, WD45G p/s, D15IID, D15IIG, D15G IND, 655, (3)WD45D p/s, 700, 816
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 1:54pm
I explored loaders a bunch for my 190xt.  Before I found a 500 Series loader that came off of a 185, I determined that the loader brackets were going to be very expensive, even to buy the raw material, let alone the welding.  After spending 4000+ on a good loader like a TA-26, you would have to spend 1500-2000 on loader brackets to be made.  I opted for a 500 series loader that already had the brackets to fit the 190xt for about $2000 and I still had to make one new set of brackets for the rear axles since the 185 and 190xt are slightly different on the axles.  You could always get lucky and find some brackets for sale but that might take a long time.

I do think the TA-26 is like the WL-42 but the 42 is the older model and not sure brackets are the same.  You could look around on tractorhouse to see if you find any pictures on loaders for sale that match TA-26.  Of course, seeing one mounted on a 185 would be an extremely lucky day.

I also want to point out the guy that had a super heavy duty loader mounted on a 190xt that he ended up using to try and get out of the mud and it broke the tractor in half!  Not sure the TA-26 is as good as the Koyker but it is meant for a heavy duty tractor I think.  I still can't get that picture of that super sweet tractor broke in half out of my mind.

Good luck on your front loader.
80 7010, 80 7020. 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 1:57pm
Have a 500 on my 180, reinforced rear support brackets have undoubtedly saved my butt more than once.  These are "Loaders" not Highlifts or Bulldozers, they are designed for Loose or really soft materials.

Edited by DMiller - 29 Jul 2022 at 1:58pm
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 2:36pm
Here is the pic that haunts me.  I am guessing the dastardly loader was the most valuable piece left after this.

80 7010, 80 7020. 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 2:45pm
I had a lot of dirt work to do when I remodeled my house 5 years ago. I had a lead on a loader for my 185 and seriously thought about it, but bought a skid steer. I sure am glad I did. 
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 9:07pm
Don't see any rear axel supports on that tractor that broke into. A necessity  with a loader.                           MACK
Dkienzle View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dkienzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 11:13pm
A WL 42 is wider then a ta26. Mounts are a little different. There was a ta 26 on my 185 years ago, if I can find any pictures I'll post them if I have any.
AlizaAli View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlizaAli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 12:32am
It's awesome that you've got your hands on a Westendorf TA26 loader for your 185 tractor. However, I totally get your frustration with the steep cost of the necessary parts – $2300 can be a bit hard to swallow.I'd recommend taking a look into skid steer loader setups. These often share similarities in attachment mechanisms, and you might come across some valuable information, such as part numbers or even installation guides, that could potentially save you some bucks.Additionally, consider diving into tractor enthusiast forums or online communities. These platforms can be a treasure trove of advice, photos, and experiences from folks who've tackled similar projects.

Edited by AlizaAli - 25 Oct 2023 at 10:04am
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 12:09am
IF I was going to be at farm in the next 7 - 10 days I'd take a pic of the WL40 factory Allis mounts on my AC200, they'd be very similar, except for width. The WL20 series are narrower than WL40 series loader frames. 

The loader front attach plate bolts to flat across tractor, any weights/brackets must come off. 
Has side plates that attach to front plate and both tractor side rails, goes back to just behind rear of tractor side rails, 
The Rear mounts bolt to these plates, the square lower cross tube bolts to them for rear of loader to set on. 

A word of caution, it's a tractor w/loader not a large skid-loader, bulldozer, frontend loader or track loader. I've used mine since the mid 1980's no issues. it'll load manure & silage, haul & stack 6x5 round bales, move pallets, move snow & loose dirt, level rock on driveway. 

AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic