This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

propane 20lb tank overfilled ready to blow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: propane 20lb tank overfilled ready to blow
    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 4:26pm
Our favorite tractor supply store guy overfilled a 20 pound tank.
He gave me a tag saying 6 gallons. I said that isn't right. 4.5 is more normal.
So he gave me another bill for 4.5. I paid that.
When I picked up the tank and put it in the trunk of my car. it felt heavy.
I got home and weighed the tank, 42 pounds.
So I set the bomb in the shade away from anything valuable.
It got warmer today 50F, and I could hear propane releasing.

Should I bleed it down some? I did open the bleed screw and liquid shot out.
And should I tell the store?
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 4:35pm
I'd say it wouldn't hurt to crack the bleeder and let some pressure off. Then call the store and talk to whoever you can
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 4:35pm
I would definitely tell the store. That guy needs to be retrained. The next guy might not be so smart and have it in what is left of his garage once it blows. If your scale can be moved outside I would bleed it down to about 38 lbs. That should put you pretty close to the right weight. Look on the collar for the stamped TW and some numbers. That will tell you the actual empty weight of the cyl and add your 20 lbs to that to be more accurate. 20's range between 16 and 19 lbs empty. 18 lbs seems to be the most common.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 4:46pm

DANG,,,Brian,,,you are one lucky guy,,,that and it being winter months cold gave you a second chance,,,!!! MOST definately ,,you should notify the store manager so they can do the proper training of that fellow,,,because he has escaped hurting or killing himself or others around him as well,,,,DANG,,,!!!! I worked around LPG for 33 years and went thru 2 major fires at work so I am very much aware of how dangerous LPG can be if mishandled.
 When you opened the overfil valve,,and you got liquid you SHOULD have gotten liquid as that is what that valve is for. The person filling the bottles is suppossed to know that when you get the FIRST "spit" of liquid at the open overfill valve,,,he has got to shut his pump off right then. Dang, dang, dang,,,,
 Ya got any good lottery numbers you want to share,,??
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 4:46pm
Yep that's a good buy ya don't want. Good catch.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 4:58pm
I would TAKE IT BACK... They need to SEE what is going not, not get a phone call.. FIX IT on their dime.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 7:03pm
It weighs 37 pounds now. Fish type scale...
I will let the store manager know, or the cutie in the pet food section.
BTW, 2.29 per gallon.

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 8:01pm
Brian, it is not 2.29 pounds to a gllon, you can't get 9 gallons into a 20# cylinder.
IT IS 4.24 pounds to a gallon or app. 4.7 gallons in a 20 # cylinder.

YES, NOTIFY the store to retrain their employees on NOT OVER FILLING those tanks.

You were very lucky today... could have discharged in the trunk of your car...and filled it with the explosive liquid/vapors, and one small ittybitty spark like static could have set that off.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 9:05pm
LPG is $4.25 a gallon here on refills of small tanks.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 9:09pm

JC

Could there be a $ sign missing - $2.29 / gal.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 9:59pm
should be a safety valve on the tank, no? I suspect that is the hissing you are hearing. Maybe keep it in a barrel of water, or a swimming pool until you decide what to do with it? keep it cooler and possibly minimize the kaboom should the worse happen, but, I think it is doing what it is supposed to do
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
old farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 10:25pm
Sounds like the tank is not equipped with a over fill protection valve. Those valves have been required for probably 20 plus years. It is illegal to fill the tank if it doesn’t have a current certificate.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 11:15pm
A little off the subject but does anyone know what maap gas is?  I assume it's some kind of propane.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 11:30pm
Brian in the 37 years I filled lp tanks, all you need to do is open the fill valve and let some go. Don't do it near anyone's basement. It's heavier than air and will settle in your basement. I still have have my certificate to recertify the tanks. If it has the little 80% screw, open that and when it stopped spitting liquid, close the spit valve and you will be ok.
m16ty View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m16ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 11:43pm
It is very dangerous to transport a propane tank in the truck of a car, overfilled, the right amount, or empty.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 12:34am
Old farmer, when operating a torch off of a twenty pound cylinder, the new valves tend to shut off when you trigger the torch to start cutting... So that leaves the old tanks more reliable for the scrapper or the mechanic that uses lpg for his choice of fuels and doesn't want to cart around a big tank.

John, here's a google explanation for mapp-pro gas..
the old Mapp is gone... MAPP gas production was discontinued in 2008. MAPP is an acronym for methylacetylene-propadiene propane, which were its main ingredients, although it also contained iso-butane and butane. MAPP gas turned out to be less than ideal for welding steel because of its high hydrogen content, and it burned slightly too hot to be safe for soldering. MAP-Pro gas, on the other hand, is almost entirely composed of propylene, with a half percent or less of propane.
MAP-Pro gas burns at a temperature of 3,730 degrees Fahrenheit, while propane burns at 3,600 F. Because it heats copper faster and to a higher temperature, MAP-Pro gas is a superior alternative to propane for soldering. If you opt to use it, the manufacturer recommends using a specially designed torch. Adding oxygen to the flame raises the temperature to 5,200 F, which is suitable for cutting and welding steel when precision is not required.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 7:37am
Originally posted by old farmer old farmer wrote:

Sounds like the tank is not equipped with a over fill protection valve. Those valves have been required for probably 20 plus years. It is illegal to fill the tank if it doesn’t have a current certificate.
That's what I was thinking about. +1
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 7:49am
At least when you bring it back, it's well, maybe not "better" but you know what I mean, that it's overfilled instead of underfilled. If underfilled, you'd get stuff like "How much did you use before you brought it back?" This way, you're holding all the cards.
(Just don't light one!)
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 10:23am

Chit,,,maybe ole Old Farmer has the best observation on this one,,,? Maybe the tank is one with the "old" style fill valves without the OFV,,,and the person filling it did not know the difference??  Dangerous sitiation ,,,,whew, whew,,,,,
200 10and20 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 11:34am
JC is correct should weigh between 37 and 40 lbs full.

Edited by 200 10and20 - 09 Mar 2020 at 11:49am
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 11:41am
The price was $2.29 per gallon.
TW of the cylinder is stamped 16.6 pounds. Purchased new by me less than 5 years ago.
Yes in the town I purchased it, it is illegal to transport cylinders in the trunk. I was told the safety logic was partially so the fire department doesn't get any surprises.
New for me was working the bleed screw. It spit out liquid for a while, then sputtered intermittent, then just gas. If I tilted/kicked it, it would spit out some more liquid.
I get the impression there must be a tube running down to that level.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 11:57am
Using a 30 or 40 pound tank on table torch - had old style valve so they would not fill - took the valve off a new 20# tank - removed the overfill float and the check valve from the valve and put it on the 40# so it will allow enough draw to use table torch - otherwise the excess flow part would shut down torch .
 Also have another 20# set up without the float as when you invert the tank you could not get liquid from tank to refill the small torch tanks for camp lights or small camp stover with the adapter they use to sell .

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 09 Mar 2020 at 12:00pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 12:01pm
Guys it is Not illegal to fill the tanks with old style valves as long as you will sign a certificate that it will be used on a cutting torch. If someone is telling you got is, you need to find another supplier.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 1:15pm
NOBODY around here will fill the old style tanks! ---Nothing to sign either! They just refuse them, period!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
old farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 2:02pm
They won’t fill in southern Michigan either.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 2:46pm
Local LP services here when see the Old Style valve will offer to replace the tank to the new style for a price and dispose of old cylinder, most if not all have eliminated the old style fill port equipment. Can go to Farm Supply Stores and buy new tanks relatively cheap for what get, to have filled most do a partial load and bleed to remove air then fill to 80%, you do get charged ALL the LP used.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 4:43pm
I talked to employee at Lowe's and they said just bring in old tank, and for a refilled one.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 6:07pm
Yeah, over the years all of mine have been exchanged for the new safety style.
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Originally posted by old farmer old farmer wrote:

That's what I was thinking about. +1

well, I'm scratching me head.....if it doesn't have a overfill/overpressure valve
then, what is hissing?
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
FredinInd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredinInd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 3:29am
He over filled you about 3/4 of a gallon! The volume for a 20# tank full to the top is 5.88 gallons. So he stuffed 5.4 gallon into your tank, instead of the usual 4.7 gal. You were at 92% filled instead of the recommended 80%! On an older tank, that could have been trouble.
Oh well, I won't do that again!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic