This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electric Motor Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Motor Question
    Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 10:16am
Recently inherited an old Wards circular saw in mint condition. In the original metal carrying box, no scratches, complete with manual. Saw and cord both look great. I plugged it in, pulled the trigger, and it started turning, but maybe only a couple hundred RPM, then slowed down a little, smoked some, and tripped the breaker in the shop. Any electrical gurus have any advice? Think it could be saved or is it ruined since the smoke got out? 
Thanks
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 10:33am
Probably brushes stuck or birty communtator - if it smoked it might be done for especially as it tripped a breaker - which would mean a 15 Amp dead short somewhere inside . 
 Depending on what age and who made it - never know might be parts out there to fix it - but at what cost is next - setting for long time varnish on armature or field winding probably broke down from moisture 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 2:00pm
I would take it apart and check the brushes and the bearing, a bearing might be the cause of the problem
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 4:52pm
yea, you got nothing to loose now.. pull the brushes out and rub some very very very fine cloth or steel wool over the commutator... make sure the brushes SLIDE easy in the holder and the springs hold tension .......... and as tadams said, rotate it to see how the bearings feel.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 5:22pm
As others have said, brushes stuck or gone is most likely.  Coulda been dropped real hard, too, to break insulation, or make something rub...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 6:58pm
My air compressor motor went up in smoke last fall, actually had flames shooting out of it. I took it to a rebuild shop
IT works great now. Motor was made many years ago.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 9:46am
Originally posted by HD6GTOM HD6GTOM wrote:

My air compressor motor went up in smoke last fall, actually had flames shooting out of it. I took it to a rebuild shop
IT works great now. Motor was made many years ago.
LOLLOLLOLMust not be as many as ours was, when our air compressor did the same.......Of course my Grandpa bought it used in the 40's......Rebuild shop said, uh, no, we haven't been able to get parts for those for a good while now!Wink
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 10:25am
"Think it could be saved or is it ruined since the smoke got out? "
Creston... It sounds like it was old enough to have a smoke...  
 an maybe you triggered the smoke switch? or did you turn a smoke screw on it?
 I would take it apart and look and see if the brushes are loose and the armature is clean and to check for burnt wires in the windings on bothe the armeture and the outer field windings.. If they are burnt it is toast.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 8:41pm
I thought maybe you were going to re-power one of your ferd tractors! prolly get more HP! (poke,poke)
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 4:29pm
I disagree with JC.  It CAN be fixed no matter what......
Yes, tear into it and see what is what.  It's already broke, so you can't hurt it anymore.  Just be mindful of how you take it apart.  Ever had one apart??  If no, take pics with your phone as you go along.
I'm guessing brushes also.  Unless you got a ton of spiders in there building nests, I don't know what else could stop the armature from turning.  But, could be a bearing.
Good luck!!  I have a Monkey Wards one that I bought back in the 60s.  It's a 3/4 horse 7-1/2" and it still runs GREAT.  Beats all the new 3/4 ones hands down.
If worse comes to worse, bring it along to Hutch.  I've got an old guy (yep, older than ME) and he's STILL got his shop.  His daughter (she's about my age) does all the work now, but he's always there, sittin by the potbelly and drinking HIS coffee.  You can CUT it.....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 12:51pm
Thanks guys, I'll dig in and see what I can find!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 11:15am
UH...before we get ahead of ourselves, first question is how does it turn by hand? if it tight, turning by hand, I would suspect dryed out sticking bearings/bushings. I doubt it is a dead short, a dead short would trip the breaker pretty darn fast. It is drawing too much current from too high a load, it was running near stall by your description. I suspect old sawdust wadded up in it and or bushing/bearings
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 6:51pm
Haven't worked on it yet, but it does turn quite freely by hand. Bearings/bushings don't feel bad, but I'll learn more on disassembly.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 8:23pm
Got it disassembled today. The blade turned a little harder by hand than I remembered. I did find a lot of old saw dust and hard dried grease around the reduction gears (if that's what you call them). The bearing on the commutator end turns smooth, but there is a brass bushing on the other end that looks kinda dry. Brushes weren't stuck, but the commutator does have a glaze on it that will need cleaned off. I'm thinking a good cleaning may get it back in service. 
Here's a couple photos. 

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 3:06pm
Yes, looks like it needs a good cleaning and that saw dust drawed moister 
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 12:53pm
What grease do y’all recommend putting in the gear reduction assembly? All the old grease was pretty hard, so I cleaned it all out.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 12:55pm
any grease is fine, as long as it is not too thick.......... If you have some lithium wheel bearing grease around, that would be GREAT.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 5:25pm
Hey, I actually do! I’ll use that
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 5:56pm
Got everything put back together, and same exact symptoms. Turns slow and trips breaker after a few seconds of running, and light smoke. It’s not in the gear reducer, as it does it whether it’s installed or not. The reduction gear turns smooth, and the motor turns smooth. I’m not an electrician, so any ideas welcome. Thanks
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 11:04pm
you didn't feel a buzz on yer fingers did you?
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 11:09pm
Then I would suspect one or more windings have opened up on the field, or stator.
That is assuming you have checked out the brushes and commutator
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 9:12am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

you didn't feel a buzz on yer fingers did you?

Haha, no I didn’t. I was a little leery of that.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 9:20am
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

Then I would suspect one or more windings have opened up on the field, or stator.
That is assuming you have checked out the brushes and commutator

I had it all apart for cleaning, and the brushes looked ok to me. The commutator had a lot of glaze on it, but it shined up nice with steel wool. I’ll be honest when I say I don’t know what the field or stator is.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 9:25am
When too much of the SMOKE leaks out, the motor is no longer usable........ I would guess that is the case. Internal damage of the windings.

all them bare wires in the WINDINGS are coated with a clear (shellac) so they don't touch each other.. IF some of the clear melts or gets rubbed off and two wires touch, then you loose the capacity of some of the windings.... that is what Lou is saying. 

Edited by steve(ill) - 01 Jan 2020 at 9:28am
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 9:30am
Would that be the windings around the armature area? Would a new (if could be found) shaft with another armature, commutator, etc. fix the problem maybe?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 9:30am
field rotates, then the rotor will follow and rotate with the magnetic field of the stator.

Basic AC Motor components

As shown in Figure 9, the stator has six magnetic poles and the rotor has two poles. At time 1, stator poles A-1 and C-2 are north poles and the opposite poles, A-2 and C-1, are south poles. The S-pole of the rotor is attracted by the two N-poles of the stator and the two south poles of the stator attract the N-pole of the rotor. At time 2, the polarity of the stator poles is changed so that now C-2 and B-1 and N-poles and C-1 and B-2 are S-poles. The rotor then is forced to rotate 60 degrees to line up with the stator poles as shown. At time 3, B-1 and A-2 are N. At time 4, A-2 and C-1 are N. As each change is made, the opposite poles on the stator attract the poles of the rotor. Thus, as the magnetic field of the stator rotates, the rotor is forced to rotate with it.                  
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 9:35am
you would have to have the stator and rotor meggared to see which is the problem..  A motor shop can test and tell you the problem... and rewind, but I doubt it would be economical unless you REALLY want that motor !

this is basically the same thing that happens to tractor STARTERS when they go bad.

I would shine it up real good and hang it on the shop wall as a decoration !!

Edited by steve(ill) - 01 Jan 2020 at 9:39am
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 4:17pm
Well, as much as I hate to junk something as well built as this (and built in America), I may end up doing that, or save it for wall decor like you say. 
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:00pm
Sometimes a man has to do what a man must do......at least it's not Orange, or I'd be all over you....mine still works and I've had it for almost 50 years!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic