This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

All Crop Grain Drill?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Crop Grain Drill?
    Posted: 06 May 2019 at 7:25pm
About a week ago I posted a want ad on Craigslist for a grain drill. Today I got a response from a guy has one on Fakebook, said he doesn't know the model but $725, needs one tire and most of the drop tubes are dry rotted. You can see it here - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/847267838959051/

Guy seems like a good guy, from the pics I figure it's been for sale awhile maybe. Might even be a member on here lol!I plan on going down to take a look at it tomorrow. It's about an hour away. I know I'll have to trailer it home. My questions:
1. Is it worth it? I think so, but you all know more than me and I have to factor in that it's a GREAT price for around here.
2. How much does it look like it'll take to "restore it? yeah I know you can't tell, I'm just looking for a ballpark for tubes and if you can see anything right off that I should beware of.
3. No manual, is there one available online or someone here has one for sale?
I just got back home so this is the first place I went, haven't had time yet to look around.
I'm supposing they're a good drill. Comments welcome. I need a drill, the one I used to use belonged to an old friend and neighbor, he died last year and the kids scrapped EVERYTHING. I offered to buy a bunch of stuff but one grandson makes his living scrapping and he got everything... 3 tractors (Massey Harris, Ford and Oliver), the drill (Oliver), plows, discs, drags, New Holland haybine, New Holland baler, 2 hay wagons, post hole digger, bush hog, old Massey Harris pull behind combine, loads of other stuff... I was sick. But that's life lol.
Thanks in advance,
- Tim
Sponsored Links

Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 10:10pm
Tim, I've a s/c drill that I've been looking for the smaller tube (grass seed) and I haven't been able to find any the bigger one (seed ) I got same from Mike Z. I think it was 2yrs ago and he still had some more.  In my search for the grass seed tubes I was told to ask a great planes drill dealer about there grass tubes to see if they would work but I haven't done that yet.I would offer 500.00 if it was me but I know I would not sell my for less then 1200.00. but I think mine is in better shape. HTH. Kenny L.
   PS, someone else will come a long with some more information hopefully.

Edited by Kenny L. - 06 May 2019 at 10:11pm
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 11:04pm
I'm not able to see ad where is it located.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 11:14pm
Earlville, NY
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 11:23pm
Oh I'm like 2 hours away
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 7:14am
Looks like a 13 x 7. Not many that I know of in this size. I have a snap couple full mount in this size and really works great. If that was for sale around here I would have it in the yard by now at that price.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 7:24am
Yes, I'm heading down there soon. I may have questions regarding set-up, etc. Thanks, guys!
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 7:58am
Good luck
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 7:59am
It's a 13 x 7 model and it has the selective fertilizer controls (which I've never seen on one before). It also has the heavy duty drawbar clevis which makes it a 1961 or newer. Recommended tire size is 6:70 x 15.
Very nice find, the drill looks good for it's age. Not rusted out and complete. Just get the seed tubes, 2 tires, lube it and to the field you go.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Allis-Chalmers Damon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis-Chalmers Damon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:41am
I own an All Crop drill that I have never used. It has been sitting in my barn for years and it looks brand new.  What is everyone's opinion on these? Are they worth the time to get it going again?  I would like to be able to do all the seeding myself rather then renting a drill from a local farming supply outfit every year.  
1955 WD45 Diesel, 1959 D14, All-Crop Drill, 2015 John Deere 5075e, New Holland 279 Haybine, New Holland 575 square baler, New Holland 1032 Stackliner, 10ft Industrias Disc, 6ft Titan grapple
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Allis-Chalmers Damon Allis-Chalmers Damon wrote:

I own an All Crop drill that I have never used. It has been sitting in my barn for years and it looks brand new.  What is everyone's opinion on these? Are they worth the time to get it going again?  I would like to be able to do all the seeding myself rather then renting a drill from a local farming supply outfit every year.  

They work very well. You can dial them in pretty good to get the population right. I get a population calibration tube from the seed company to dial it in. Not a whole lot has changed in grain drills, mainly electronics and size. My All-Crop drill did as good or better than the farms Tye drill.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
dertz19 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dertz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 10:52am
I have an 11x7 set up like this one, except older, that I use and is restored. I also have a 24x7 in restoration phase. 11x7 is by far the most common from what I've seen. It looks like you have everything there- I think the price is right and I would recommend jumping on it ASAP. The grass seed attachments and fertilizer agitators like this one has can be hard to find. As far as replacing grass seed tubes- you'll probably have to get creative and use garden hose, pvc pipe or similar.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis-Chalmers Damon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 11:00am
Originally posted by DennisA (IL) DennisA (IL) wrote:

Originally posted by Allis-Chalmers Damon Allis-Chalmers Damon wrote:

They work very well. You can dial them in pretty good to get the population right. I get a population calibration tube from the seed company to dial it in. Not a whole lot has changed in grain drills, mainly electronics and size. My All-Crop drill did as good or better than the farms Tye drill.

Pardon my ignorance but can you seed any type of crop you want to? For example am I able to do oats, grass, alfalfa, etc? I believe I have the manual so it would be best for me to actually read and understand the machine. I would like to get it working again as it appears almost brand new minus the tubes that are rotted.
1955 WD45 Diesel, 1959 D14, All-Crop Drill, 2015 John Deere 5075e, New Holland 279 Haybine, New Holland 575 square baler, New Holland 1032 Stackliner, 10ft Industrias Disc, 6ft Titan grapple
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 11:39am
My manual list about 60 different crops. The smallest being alfalfa in the largest seed being sunflower. As long as the seed can flow through the meter and down the tube it will plant it.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 2:12pm
Well, someone bought it...
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 2:21pm
ME!!!
HAH... it actually looks a lot better in-person, very clean. Everything moves freely, the grain tubes aren't bad and can probably be used as-is for this year, I won't be using the seeder or fertilizer compartments anyhow so it gives me time to scrounge for parts. I just have to trailer it to the farm asap and get it under cover.
Scott, the seller, said he's on here from time to time. Super guy. I made up my mind to buy it within 5 minutes after I got there, but we spent the next 2 hours talking! Good man to know.

Oh yeah, the price... I paid $700 and felt guilty about stealing from such a nice guy. Even more good news, he may have a line on an All-Crop harvester. And there's a local (to him) guy that's a serious Allis man. Probably on here too and I wouldn't know lol!
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 2:31pm
But that still leaves me looking for a manual...
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis-Chalmers Damon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by TimCNY TimCNY wrote:

But that still leaves me looking for a manual...

I noticed a few parts manuals available on eBay...

Not sure if this one is specific to your model or not...
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 3:15pm
Congratulations !
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 3:55pm
Thanks, Dennis! A-C Damon, thank you, I've looked at a few of the parts catalogs (including that one lol) but - well, I'm looking for operator's/set-up manual so I get it right the first time. I know it's not rocket surgery or brain science, but that's just me. Being so far behind schedule, it's tempting to just rush it but like I learned long ago, nobody's got time to do it right the first time but everyone has time to redo it over and over again.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis-Chalmers Damon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by TimCNY TimCNY wrote:

Thanks, Dennis! A-C Damon, thank you, I've looked at a few of the parts catalogs (including that one lol) but - well, I'm looking for operator's/set-up manual so I get it right the first time. I know it's not rocket surgery or brain science, but that's just me. Being so far behind schedule, it's tempting to just rush it but like I learned long ago, nobody's got time to do it right the first time but everyone has time to redo it over and over again.

I believe I have the owners/operators manual.  If you don't have any luck, message me and I can send you some scans?
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:39am
Well, it's home. Rather, at the farm. Yesterday, evening, pouring rain. What a mess. The trailer I was supposed to use was an 8X16 tilt, but that was being used so my friend let me use his "other one" - a 6X10 beat to a rip BriMar dump trailer. So, I had to leave the gate extended a little for it to fit. 30 miles down, 30 miles back... that trailer did NOT want to track well. The seller, Scott, thankfully is an artist with a skidsteer lol! He did great loading it on sideways. And getting me unstuck, and - loads of other help. It really was a nightmare overall other than his help... so much rain for so many weeks, and a dually is NOT known for traction, everything everywhere was hills and mud. When I got it to the farm I backed up to a 12" diameter tree, lifted the bed all the way up, chained the wheel to the tree, used the tractor to raise the hydraulic cylinder (now I'll have to changed hydraulic oil and filter lol, that was nasty crap in those old lines, shoulda thought better but rain can mess with a desperate man lol), dropped some blocks and a rim so there wasn't so much of a drop between that tire and the ground and slowly drove ahead. That ended up being the easiest part of the whole ordeal lol.
But at least it's home, it's over, the sun is shining for the first time in I honestly don't recall how many days (weeks?), all's well that ended well!
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 11:30am
I have a soft spot for these drills and have six now. They all work and are different sizes. 
Donkey32601 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donkey32601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 10:38am
Hello I have a 15x7 wheel type having trouble finding the correct 15" tire size that goes on it just purchased it and it as 2 different size tires was just wondering if anyone knows my manual doesn't say. Thanks in advance.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 10:46am
What size is each tire?
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donkey32601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 11:02am
One is a 7.00-15 truck tire and other one is a 8.00-8.20-15 recap snow
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 11:31am
Any chance that they have the same circumstances?
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donkey32601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 11:37am
No but after more research I just found out they are shipped tire less and recommended size is 6.7-15 thank you very much again
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2023 at 12:13pm
tire size should be 6:70x15 or in equivalent size, meaning, similar circumference.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2023 at 8:58am
Good to see you on here Dennis! Been awhile.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic