This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many of ya

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many of ya
    Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 8:43pm
remember riding around with your father...sitting on the tool box of a WD45D as a kid?  I think I was probably 3 or 4 years old and often  waited for my dad to come to the end of the field (with the disk, cultivator or plow) and stop so I could climb on and sit on the tool box, hang onto the fenders and enjoy the ride.  I also remember my dad ignoring me, not stopping, and I...crying my eyes out....as he faded into the distance.....
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Sponsored Links

Dale H. ECIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale H. ECIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 9:03pm
I always hang out with my Dad from the time I could walk. I read on here the other day where some of the guys started driving tractors at the age of 7 or 8. I guess my Dad was over protective because he did not let me drive the WD45 until I was 12 but I rode on the tool box a lot of miles.
Allis Chalmers Museum, Paris, Il.http:// www.allischalmersmuseum.com 217-275-3428
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 9:11pm
I rode many hours on the tool box on a series 4 D17 and on the tool box on a WD45. I grew up in town. I had an aunt and uncle that farmed. It was about a 4 hour ride in the car to get there. I spent several weeks in the summer for a number of years there. When I got big enough, the first tractor I got to drive was a  B with hand brakes. Later on since I was always kind of a skinny kid, I got to drive the D17 to pick up hay. Uncle "Winnie" passed in 86. Aunt Zella sold the farm a few years after. A couple months ago we just had to put her in a nursing home due to alzheimers.

Edited by Brian Jasper co. Ia - 11 Sep 2010 at 9:13pm
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Russ-neia View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ-neia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 9:36pm
Slept on the cab floor (Cozy Cab) of 190XT when dad was disking or plowing and polished the fender on Series IV D-17 hanging onto radio while dad cut hay.  Even spent some time beside the seat in the 7040.  No way to fit in any of those places again!
The innovators offer what others will imitate.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 9:39pm
I remember Dad plowing the garden patch with the CA when I was about 5 or 6. I was on the left fender and my younger brother Jim was on the right fender.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
bigfish_Oh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfish_Oh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 9:41pm
I remember living in town on the corner opposite the elevator being 4-5 years old. Me and my brother knew Granpa had to come back in with another wagon of grain. We ran in house, packed a suitcase and waited to go back out to the farm !!  I spent many hours on that tool box holding onto the old muffler he bolted to fender(I still have the fender with the reinforced patch) to hold the umbrella. When I had my kids I suddenly appreciated what Granpa done for us, it is kinda crowded on the '45 !
     I took my wife to the old farm house today while we garage saleing during the covered bridge festival(3 local), The house,built in 1877 at a cost of 10K, had the brick redone in the late 70's for about 10K. It was put in the Ohio Historical Registry sometime after that and willed to an Ohio state Frat, then sold 2 years later. The current owners have farmed it since Granpa left in 67. We were both beyond breathless of how it was inside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fort_%28North_Lewisburg,_Ohio%29
1941 WC sat for 29 years,started & dynoed 27 h.p.
1957 WD45 Grandpa bought new,factory p.s.,added wfe
1951 WD, factory p.s.
1960 D14 HnMk IV BkHoe 4 sale
2014 HD Tri Glide
2009 GMC CC SLT Dually
bigfish_Oh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfish_Oh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 9:46pm
The owner of the farm had sent home 2 Lambretta TV 175's from Italy in '58. Grandpa got one of them. Dad rode us around the fields and roads, the dog at my feet peering around the front , my chin on the speedometer, and Don sitting behind him. I did have it in town when I turned 16(1975). It's gone because I did not go get it and dad tossed it or buried it.
1941 WC sat for 29 years,started & dynoed 27 h.p.
1957 WD45 Grandpa bought new,factory p.s.,added wfe
1951 WD, factory p.s.
1960 D14 HnMk IV BkHoe 4 sale
2014 HD Tri Glide
2009 GMC CC SLT Dually
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 9:51pm
many hours on the toolbox with Grandpa.  First on the WD cultivating, later on the D17 mostly doing the same.  Other tasks were probably considered too dangerous to have me along.  It was the daycare of the late 50s I guess.
My uncle that lived near Columbus Ohio had 'other brands' that usually did not have such a good place to ride along.  I remember riding on the tank of an old Ferguson.  On his Farmalls and Deeres I remember on the seat, in front of the seat (standing) , on the axle housing (standing), on the hitch (standing).  The first cab tractor I got to ride was his Case 1030 in 1968.

Edited by Rick of HopeIN - 11 Sep 2010 at 9:55pm
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 9:51pm
I remember riding on the tractor with Dad but it was green.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 9:56pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 9:57pm
GREAT POST!!!!! I spent many fun hours sitting on that toolbox of both wds!!! I sit in the drivers seat now and wonder how the hell I ever sat there and had so much fun!!! Ryan
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 10:04pm
I have thought the same.  I see those toolboxes and realize have small I must have been to fit there.  
Another odd memory for me...  I remember a specific field with my Grandfather on the WD and across the road was a big steam tractor in the barnyard.  The man who lived there was a 'tractor collector' and took it to 'antique tractor shows'. 

Edited by Rick of HopeIN - 11 Sep 2010 at 10:04pm
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
Roddo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 10:17pm
I dont know how my dad did it, but he had me on the right fender and my brother on the left on both the WD45 and his bigger JD 3130.   A LOT more crowded on the 45 thats for sure.
Brad MI View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 10:18pm
I spent a lot of hours straddling a CA gas tank holding onto the cultivator adjustment handles. Not so many on the WD45 toolbox, but I did ride there a lot. By 10 years old I was in the seat of the 45 most of the summer and then dad bought a 190 because I fit it so well and had so much better control with the platform station. After that I lived on the 190 for field work and CA cultivating row crops. 
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 11:34pm
we rode with dad on the "h" or "m" one foot on the drawbar, one on the axle housing hanging on to the light bar and back of the seat. when we got tired, he let us off. no fenders, no tool boxes, nuthin to sit on! then dad bought a new JD (pffft) a 3020, had fenders, the school girls would ride with me cuz my tractor had fenders! guess that was the only thing good about the JD. it sure wasn't a very good farm tractor!
clovis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clovis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 7:08am
I rode along too, but the color was red. 
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 7:57am
I have the same memories on a tool box just weighting to get in the seat of a WD. And yes just how heck did we fit on there? Thanks Eldon this is a good post!
Don

Edited by Don(MO) - 12 Sep 2010 at 7:58am
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

John (C-IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (C-IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 8:27am
My time on the toolbox was short because I moved to the seat when I was 5. Been there ever since. I do remember me and my brothers riding with dad, Dave on the toolbox, Bill on dad's lap and me on the back step, talk about crowded!

When we got our 4020 I was the main driver for 5 years until I went to college. Dad used to call me at school to ask me about how different things worked on the tractor, LOL.
WC7610 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WC7610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 8:33am
D17 tool box.  The umbrella attachment was just perfect for a hand hold on the Series I and the headllight on the Series III was my handhold on that tractor. 

Also remember sitting on the arm pad of our E Gleaner.
Thanks

Most Bad Government has grown out of Too Much Government- Thomas Jefferson
MBolton View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 8:45am
It was a progression from Dad's lap to the toolbox to the right hand fender to the seat! 
Jeff-in-Kunkletown View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff-in-Kunkletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 8:58am
We only had a B, which was great because of the wide seat.
BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 9:13am
I remember sitting on the fender of the D15 brush hogging, sitting on the tank of the HD4 when working it, and sitting between the seat and side of the cab in the 4550 Ford Backhoe many, many times as a young man
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 9:27am
Hung off the side of a D15, dad let me push/pull the PD or put foot my against to hold it in high range when it wouldn't stick.
Rode the Model 66 Platform a lot also making sure the grain was coming in good and to level the hopper off to get in as much as we could.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 9:32am
yeah dad used to stand me in front of him on the HD4 and let me steer
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 10:04am
I did not ride with Pop since he was a dealer.  However, he used to pull me around in a combine bagger platform - we sold baggers in Maryland.  One time I remember there was snow on the ground and the tractor slipped and the combine fell on the loading platform.  Scared a three year old.  I was told when I got off I ran to Mom. 
When I was older - and not a lot older but I had to reach the pedals- the B and later C came out and I was driving.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
powertech84 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powertech84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 12:45pm
Rode alot on that toolbox myself. Also spent plenty of time on that big fender of the 4010 deere, and even sleeping in the back window of the 986 while moldboard plowing.
Darrell Roberts View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 12:53pm
Spent many hours perched on the toolbox of Dad's D14 whlle he cullivated or mowed hay. My daughter spent time of her own either with me or her grandpa and now both of my grandkids are getting to spend time with me.... some of it on that same D14. Money can't buy momories like that.
Brian NC View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 12:54pm
I grew up riding the tool box of a d-14 on my grandfather's cattle and poultry farm. I would lean over against him and go to sleep while he was baling hay, the quick governor responce when the plunger on the baler packed the hay in the chamber was better than any rocking chair. He would take a break from baling to check things in the chicken houses and take me in the house to granny, by the time he had finished looking in on the chickens, I would be sitting on the tractor waiting. Pa is gone now but I'm blessed to get to farm his land with my parents still using alot of his equipment and letting my 5-year old son get some time on the tool box.
ToddSin NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 12:58pm
I rode on the WD fender while dad had a New Idea(?) 2 wheel turner on the front for hay. That was before he bought the Aliis rake. I feel asleep and feel off the back. It knocked the wind out of me and scared me to death! Dad stopped and said you ok? After I caught my breath and stopped crying I said ya. Come on he said lets go we got more work to do!

I also spent many sleeping hours on the tool box of the Oliver 1650. I fit in between the seat and fender perfect (at that time) and didn't fall off!
Chris (swIA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris (swIA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 2:02pm
I spent a few hours riding the fender of the D 17 series 4 while planting. I spent alot more hours sleeping on the back window of a 1066 when day was custom haying. That came to a halt when I got big enough that I popped the back window out when we hit a washout. I spent alot of hours riding that 17 hauling hay holding my foot on the power director lever so it wouldn't come out of gear going down hill.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic