This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD-45 engine options??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD-45 engine options??
    Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 1:36pm
I was wondering if it was possible to find a Perkins or fiat(5050 Allis??) diesel that would fit, with little modification, into a 45. I'm sort of curious if that would be an "easy" route to having a diesel 45. Also, is it possible to install a power steering setup in a WD-45 if it did not originally have one?
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 7:00pm
Good luck. Anything you try to fit into a WD45 will be work. Think about overall  engine width and making a flywheel & clutch ?? to fit the bell housing.......radiator connections.  ...etc, etc, etc, etc.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 7:36pm
Anything is possible once knew a guy that put a Detroit 3 cylinder in a WD45,a whole LOT
of modifications.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 8:24pm
I put a charlynn power steering on a WD 45 it's wasn't to hard the pump was the worst part. I didn't have the bracket for the pump. The torque generator was fairly easy just cut the shaft an install it. And bend the throttle shaft so it clears.
Michael Crowe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Crowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 8:56pm
It’s fine if you want to put a “diesel” in your tractor, after all it’s your Tractor, but if it’s not the original buda 230 then it won’t be a WD45 Diesel, nor will it look, sound, or command the price of of one. They have a sound that is unique to that tractor, a D17 and D19 are close but not the same. It all boils down to wanting to make a usable tractor or having the original collectible tractor. No wrong answer.
The 14th Annual Exclusive AC Swap Meet will be held in Boonville, MO, March 7-8, 2025. See the club website for details: http://www.moacclub.com/
Buckyman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 10:11pm
Would a 5050 engine or a Perkins out of a 170 or something similar be simply an engine that you can just bolt right into the transmission as it sits??
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 10:32pm
What about the 433I? I think that would be cool. 
pirlbeck View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pirlbeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 7:38am
Go to this post and scroll part way down to see pictures of a  WD45 with a 433I installed.

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 7:50am
NOTHING will just "bolt in" except the A-C diesel engine that was made for it.
Buckyman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 8:08am
There was some mention in the research I've been doing about this of engines that pretty much bolted right in. I'm new to this but I'm assuming the "pretty much" meant the swap entailed some holes being drilled for studs in some locations?
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 8:58am
This is gong to sound trite but after reading these engine questions for years it has become clear that everyone has a different vision of "will it fit" and "little work" and "little modification"  and the answer to your question is it depends on your abilities and how easily you are defeated.  As some have said, nothing will just drop in there except a gas engine like what came out of it.  Even the diesel that was originally in a WD-45 is far from a drop in installation in a gas tractor.  However if you own a lathe, mill, welder and know how to use them then just about anything can be made to fit.
If easy is the defining factor the far easiest route to a WD-45 diesel is to go buy a WD-45D that runs good.

Lots of WDs and 45s have aftermarket power steering by Charr Lynn.  The torque generators are still available from places like Surplus Center and you use a belt driven pump to operate it. Should be able to find details on that via search of the site. The cheapest route would be to advertise for a take off unit.
HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 9:20am
I'm all for people building whatever their vision is.  Engine swaps, however, are never cheap or easy.  Never.  They can result in a really nice and unique tractor, but they have to be done for love of the creation more than anything else.

Frankly, the best way to have a diesel WD45 with power steering is, wait for it, buy a diesel WD45 with power steering.  Sure, you'll spend some money, but if you think modifying a present tractor will be more cost effective....let's just say I have my doubts.

...and is you figure how much time it may take to do the conversion, then taking your time and looking for one probably won't delay the end result at all.

Either way, good luck on your quest.

Edited by HoughMade - 27 Aug 2018 at 9:21am
1951 B
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 9:34am
Some where in the past 20 or so years I saw a WD tractor with a 6 cylinder diesel engine. Best I recall the decal called it a WD 46 or WD 56. I didn't see it running. It had been lengthened neatly and had fresh paint to make it look nearly new.

Gerald J.
pirlbeck View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pirlbeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Gerald J. Gerald J. wrote:

Some where in the past 20 or so years I saw a WD tractor with a 6 cylinder diesel engine. Best I recall the decal called it a WD 46 or WD 56. I didn't see it running. It had been lengthened neatly and had fresh paint to make it look nearly new.

Gerald J.

The is one from Scranton Iowa that is decaled as a WD46 (I think, I haven't seen it for quite a while) that has a 301 in it.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 4:07pm
Gerald and Pirlbeck, how about one of these???

Anything is possible.

He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
pirlbeck View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pirlbeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 7:21pm
Yup, them are the ones I was referring to......but I was wrong on the model numbers. WD55 is the one I saw around this area several times, I think that was the first one Chop put together.
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 8:43pm
Hmmm... I know I saw one that somebody had managed to put a 6 cylinder or maybe a V8 chevy engine in at a tractor show maybe four or five years ago. I even saw a guy put an 11 or 13 HP briggs engine in one once...

Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 1:19pm
I have seen many projects started and never finished ,go for it if u have the time n skill . 
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 1:57pm
One word.

Radial.

Just a little one. 110hp at 2,450 rpm:

I haven't seen one on a tractor yet so that means someone has to build one.

[TUBE]kaRBXu2-BRA[/TUBE]

Edited by HoughMade - 28 Aug 2018 at 2:00pm
1951 B
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 2:49pm
fan blade included
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
groundhog55 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote groundhog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 4:16pm
I have a 433It in a WD45 with a loader and live hydraulics and charlyn power steering.

HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by FloydKS FloydKS wrote:

fan blade included

That's where it gets tricky.  The prop shaft would have to either have a belt or chain to transfer the power under the engine and back, or you'd have to turn the engine around.

...'Course it's air cooled....as long as you go say, 60 mph or faster.
1951 B
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 11:15am
I saw a WC at an auction once that had a GM V6 in it.  They didn't start it so I don't know if it was operational.  It appeared to be well done.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic