This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

670t question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbtek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 670t question
    Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 10:23am
I have a Gleaner M3 combine  that has a A/C 670t engine. I had to have the injectors rebuilt and when I  go to the AGCO parts book or the dealer parts counter they show copper seals that go under injector and I got some of them. The injectors of the actual engine dont have these seals, there's nothing there but it does look like copper. I looked in the hole with a borescope and I cant see any seals. It didnt look like it had ever been apart and it didnt leak any compression. I think I'm missing something.
Sponsored Links

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 10:38am
I'm not a diesel engine expert, but seems to me that with the high compression and combustion pressures of the diesel that the copper seals are important. Nothing softer can survive.

Gerald J.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 10:43am
If your oil filters are on the grain bin side of the engine, that is NOT a 670-T.......it is a 649 T or 649 I.......no copper washers used.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 4:22pm
The more I think about this, the more ruffled my feathers get. How any repair shop (AGCO dealer or an injection pump shop)  could not simply look at your old injectors and with some sort of KNOWLEDGE of (A-C) diesel engines know that copper washers weren't used, really shows how ignorant (uneducated) some parts/service people are. Had you tried to use copper washers and managed to get the bolts started and torque them down, you would have ruined the copper injector tubes and be looking at cylinder head removal or replacement to get fixed right.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 8:31pm
just curious , what was wrong with the injectors???
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
mbtek View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbtek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 1:30pm
The oil filters are on the grain bin side, the only thing the parts people asked me was the serial # of combine which I gave them. I couldn't find any sort of engine number but they didn't ask. They used the AGCO parts book on line and my injector looks just like the one on page 144 which is for 670t and shows a seal. The one on page 136 for the other engine doesn't look like my injector. I thought it would be a good idea to ask somebody with A/C experience. The fuel injection shop I use went off the Bosch numbers on the injectors to repair them.
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 5:15pm
the first clue was it's an M3. Which was never available with a 670. If it had one, somebody took out the original and replaced it. If your AGCO parts guy looked up the parts, it wouldn't show a 670
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 7:29pm
M3 were available with the 670T in the last year of production as Allis had the engines built and wanted them gone.  I saw 2 new ones in 86 or 87 on dealers lots.

Crazy engine for the combine I know but they did it

Edited by Amos - 17 Jul 2017 at 7:30pm
mbtek View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbtek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 7:36pm
They did look them up, I was watching them and then I looked later at the same web site they used which was the AGCO parts catalog. It shows all of those engine under the M3 maybe it's not correct. Any way I think that one of the cups under the injector was leaking compression badly enough that it needs to be replaced, this cylinder #2 was miss-firing. This combine had a history of fuel and fuel tank problems before I got it, and since I've owned it everything was gone through except the injectors. That injectors holes were plugged up but I dont think thats all of my problems ,you can see a blown out area and if you look with a bore scope closely theres no way I think its going to seal. How do you change those cups?
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:00pm
To change the cups you pull the head and take it to some one that has the proper allis chalmers tool to press the new cups in.  Every one I have seen that leaked leaked antifreeze into the combustion chamber especially when shut off.
DanD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 8:43am
The M3 and L3 share the same parts book so that's probably why they were confused.  You have to remember that even a 40 year old parts man was 8 years old when AC was done and a 50 year old parts man was a Senior in high school.  I find it's vitally important to just figure out the parts I need myself from the parts book listing when I go get parts for the AC machines because the guys there have no knowledge of the older machines.  Not their fault and not holding it against them.  Bet they know a lot about the new stuff which I know nothing about.  Now, if you can find a 70 year old parts man...that's a different story!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 1:00pm
Here's a real easy way to identify engine.How many exhaust ports? 3 or 6? 301/649 has 3....426/670 have 6
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 1:23pm
If you have a 649 with the copper cups, make sure you get the head checked for cracks before replacing any, and you may be better off in the long run to replace them all at once. They are available aftermarket from hy capacity last I checked. The other option is to replace the head with an older head that uses copper washers from a 2900 series engine.

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 4:35pm
I think what you saw was a 649 with an ambac pump. I sold the last L3 Allis had, still have my price book, and no 670 was offered . Not saying Gleaner may have put one in special order, anything is possible, but was not offered as an option
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 10:33pm
Just a reminder that there was two different head gaskets used on the D2900 series engines. The head without the copper injector tubes used a gasket with the small diameter water passage holes. When the copper tube head was introduced in the seventies they added a new head gasket with larger water passage holes to increase water flow into the head. 
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 11:04pm
Good point Dan
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 1:48pm
M3 green stripe combines had the 426 in them seen one on the lot brand new . I don't care if anyone says different, sold them bought them or ate them, There were M3s that came new from independence with 426s in them. Not all of them, but there were some.
Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 7:00pm
My green stripe m3 has the 649 in it, but I know of another green stripe not far from here that has the 670 in. They bought it new that way.
30+ A-Cs ranging from a 1928 20-35, to a 1984 8070FWA, Gleaner R52
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Hurst Hurst wrote:

If you have a 649 with the copper cups, make sure you get the head checked for cracks before replacing any, and you may be better off in the long run to replace them all at once. They are available aftermarket from hy capacity last I checked. The other option is to replace the head with an older head that uses copper washers from a 2900 series engine.

Hurst
Thanks Hurst. I just want to make sure I understand correctly.

2900 has no copper injector cups in its head, but uses copper washers at base of injectors.
649 uses no copper washers, but does have copper injector cups pressed into the head.

If I have that correct, do these same 2900-649 head changes also apply to its smaller brother, the 2300-433?
Peterson View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

Originally posted by Hurst Hurst wrote:

Hurst

Thanks Hurst. I just want to make sure I understand correctly.

2900 has no copper injector cups in its head, but uses copper washers at base of injectors.
649 uses no copper washers, but does have copper injector cups pressed into the head.

If I have that correct, do these same 2900-649 head changes also apply to its smaller brother, the 2300-433?

Our late model 185 has the factory 649 with the regular old head.
7095-685I at 255hp, 8070-225HP,8050-210Hp,8030 with 155HP,220 with 670T engine with A-pump, 7580, 185 with 140HP, 2-6080's,6070, S4 D17,wd45,CA,st34 agco, S1 D17 with 3500MK2
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 10:04pm
I'm not sure how the change carried over into the naturally aspirated engines at the end, so dounless check. On the turbo engines, the copper sleeves started with the 7000 and the 2900 MKII engine. I'm not sure when the change was made to the 4 cylinder little brother, as it wasn't widely used in tractors, just combines before the 6000 series, and I'm not really familiar with the combine side of things. I'm pretty sure the 6000 series engines were all copper sleeves from the factory.

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 7:28am
If there ever was (that is a big IF) a 301 non-turbo with the copper sleeved head, there weren't very many and they would have been near the end of engine production I'd guess. All 4 bangers with a turbo had copper sleeved heads, so at least from 1978 and up in the K2-F2 combines.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 7:29am
1972 model L combines had copper sleeved 301 heads.
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 9:10am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

If there ever was (that is a big IF) a 301 non-turbo with the copper sleeved head, there weren't very many and they would have been near the end of engine production I'd guess. All 4 bangers with a turbo had copper sleeved heads, so at least from 1978 and up in the K2-F2 combines.

I agree with what the doc said. I worked at the Harvey engine plant from 3-68 through 12-79 and never seen a D2800 (301 non-turbo) with a cooper sleeved head.
mbtek View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbtek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 9:31pm
Found engine tag and its a 649I, cleaned up the holes in the sleeves in the head, reinstalled injectors and now it runs fine, no leaks. The only problem having is that it runs rough after it first starts , it starts up quickly but runs like it has air in the pump for about a minute then super smooth.  I took the fuel line off the pump before I started it the other day and almost no fuel came out . I wonder if the fuels bleeding off when it sits but I'm not sure how it works seems like there should be a check valve or something maybe in the transfer pump. It's had this rough running on start up problem problem for some time according to the previous owner. The fuel filter is higher than the pump. I'm not sure what to look at next 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic