This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gas leaks AC-B,C,CA etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas leaks AC-B,C,CA etc.
    Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 9:21pm
I have fought gas leaks from the sediment bowel of an AC  B and pulled my hair out trying to fix it even with the pet cock fully off. Drips from the bottom of the bowel. I finally figured it out. The packing around the pet cock shaft  is always under pressure from the gravity of the fuel in the tank, even with the petcock turned tightly off. Tightening the pet cock packing nut solves this problem. wa-la
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 7:36pm
If I remember correctly (lucky I can remember at all Big smile)  there was a thread on this a few years back and this was one of the most overlooked reasons for the leaking.  Most people think it is the bowl gasket or the needle seat, but it is the packing behind the nut.  That packing is hard to find anymore.  There aren't enough old GOOD hardware stores anymore.  Most plumbing material will be eaten up by the gasoline.

Glad you figured it out Ted......
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 8:08pm
I think teflon based packing will stand up to gasoline and most everything else.

Gerald J.
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 9:14pm
I looked for a Teflon rope to use as packing on the nut but finally just too Teflon plumbing tape and twisted it and wrapped it around the shaft several times. It works fine. Bob
4 B's, 1 C's,3 CA's, 2 G's WD, D14, D15, B-1, B10, B12, 712S,
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 6:10am
I'm thinking a shot of sillycon that fills the area around the stem and 'void', once fully cured, should work.
Gas don't hurt it
It'll be a little 'grippy' for a few uses but should 'self seal'.

I know it's a 'trick' the 9N guys have done to stop rear axles from leaking oil !

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 6:22am
After I drain the 45 and added fresh non alcohol gas with stabil, I find out the packing is gone! Unhappy
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 7:22am
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

After I drain the 45 and added fresh non alcohol gas with stabil, I find out the packing is gone! Unhappy
OUCH!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 7:25am
If you don't care about it being original the best route I've found is to do away with the sediment bowl assembly and put in an inline filter and inline cutoff.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 10:20am
I've been using the teflon tape twisted into a string for years now and it always seals just fine. If the leak won't stop, check the outer packing nut for a hairline crack. I've seen several like that and if it's cracked it'll never seal.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic