This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mounting Rear Tractor Tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mounting Rear Tractor Tires
    Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 7:41pm
 After years of fighting to get tubes over the rims and in the tire Ted Buisker told me how he has been doing his for years.
 You put the tube in the tire and inflate the tube until it takes shape but yet you can still move the tube in the tire. Now continue mounting the tire as normal. You will not pinch the tube.
 I've done my last 6 tires this way and it is far easier and faster. 
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 8:58pm
Another thing that I took for granted.  I learned that tidbit over 50 years ago and just never thought that someone else wouldn't know about it.....Also make sure you've got ALL the sand etc. out of the tire.  It isn't very friendly to the tube.  ATF works great for liberally smearing the rim and the tire bead to help get it on.  Oh yeah, make sure you get the valve stem in the hole before you finish.  I use a valve stem puller to hold them in place till you get it all done and inflate.  HTH
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 9:00pm
Oh yeah, there is also the problem of making sure you have the valve stem coming out the correct side of the tire and also that the tire tread is going the correct way of travel.  I've done that wrong ONCE........once is enough!! 
"Allis-Express"
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 9:13pm
ATF will ruin the tube.  Use rubber lube, much cheaper than a new tube and the work.   MACK
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 9:45pm
wonder if that's how Eldon does the 300 or so he does every year?
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 9:52pm
Granddad taught me that trick about putting air in the tube first years ago when I learned how to change a bicycle tube! Boy, was changing bike tubes ever hard!! (For a 7 year old) Then a few years later I changed a 6.00x16 tire. Got to learn all about spoons, and how I really needed to be about twice my size to do it efficiently! Bike tubes didn't seem too bad after that!!!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 7:05am
Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

ATF will ruin the tube.  Use rubber lube, much cheaper than a new tube and the work.   MACK
I haven't used this for quite some years Mack, but I did years ago and they are still holding air.  Must be the new China tubes you're talking about?  Never had problems with tires or tubes....
"Allis-Express"
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 9:31am
What are you guys using for tire tools and bead breakers? I have 4 rear tires in my future...
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 10:12am
Ken Tools makes the two like what I have although I got the curved one from my Dad. The curved one alone is about 90-95 bucks, the second one is about 30" long, about 40 bucks.These two along with a 2lb hammer and an hour of time I got a 11.2-24 off a rim that had been fluid filled for almost 60 years. Takes patience, and work your way around the tire, don't expect to pop it right off the first pry.

I will add that I went to bed with some very sore arms also.

Edited by JW in MO - 13 Nov 2016 at 10:17am
Maximum use of available resources!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 10:19am
What're y'all's best bead breaking tips? I had one tire that was so stubborn, even driving the truck on top and pressing the edge with the front end loader didn't help! Phfffft! 
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 10:34am
Getting the beads popped is the hard part. I just had a brainstorm. Since two of the tires are 11.2-24 for my CA, they're not much wider than a big pickup tire. Makes me wonder if the tire is not too tall to pop them on the rim clamp at work. Gimme a day or two and I'll have the answer...
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 10:36am
I use my backhoe to break beads now, be careful driving a truck up on them to pop the bead, one of my friends did that a couple of years ago and instead of the bead popping, the tire/rim flipped up, got the fender and drove the mirror into the door, was a newer Chevy, the body shop bill was a couple of thousand! I hate doing tires myself, but you can't find hardly anyone around here to do one.
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by shameless (ne) shameless (ne) wrote:

wonder if that's how Eldon does the 300 or so he does every year?

I've always done it the hard way...I just lately learned how to set the rim on the tire and mount it that way, flip it over and do the other side... much easier than setting the tire on the rim. I use a bar of soap and rub it on the tire and rim, not as messy and the beads seem to pop easier.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 2:13pm
I use a hydraulic jack, angle iron and thread rod. Don't know ifg I have a pic but works good.

I use this to break the bead loose.

Edited by TMiller/NC - 13 Nov 2016 at 2:24pm
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 2:50pm
My rear tires were no good so I used a saber saw with a wood blade and cut a good size hole in it .Then cut wire with a chisel and just rolled tire off.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 3:06pm
Doesn't everyone have a high-lift jack??

WTH is wrong with Photo Bucket?  It is SO slow.....and they are now bombarding us with ads.  They pushing for us to BUY space??
"Allis-Express"
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 3:07pm
 To break the bead I use the loader bucket to push the bead down the rim.
The tools I use are made by Ken. They make tire work less work. The shape at the end of the bar makes all the difference as you can hook the tire or the rim with out the bar slipping. Also the bars don't bend or flex, all the power you put in it goes right to the rim and tire. This make it great.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 3:09pm
You just use the bottom of the hitch for the top jack lip and use the bottom plate of the jack against the tire bead.  Pops right off!  I just use the rope to insure that the top of the jack doesn't slip out backwards off the tongue of the hitch.
"Allis-Express"
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 3:11pm
[QUOTE=Ted J] Doesn't everyone have a high-lift jack??

Very good picture Ted. All you need is a jack and something to jack against.

Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 3:17pm
My latest investment...should have bought one years ago.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 3:19pm
and my backup....
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 5:03pm
I had a very bad experience this fall breaking a bead on an 18.4x38. Still healing, I'll post a thread when it heals a bit more, telling the whole story. A split second of in-attention that I'll pay for for a long time. 
BE CAREFULL!
Leon B
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 5:59pm
Slide impact bead breaker works good for me.

bead breaker
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 8:21pm
Have been told to pour gas around beads, let it soak in and they will brake loose easy. Never tried it and wouldn't want to on a good tire or tube.     MACK
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 8:28pm
Getting the second bead off the rim was the worst part until I chained  the rim to bottom of forklift and tire to forks, raised lift it came right off.      MACK
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 9:03pm

Have been told to pour gas around beads, let it soak in and they will brake loose easy. Never tried it and wouldn't want to on a good tire or tube.     MACK

I had a tire guy do that to a fluid filled tire I had to replace the tube on 6 years or so ago, (probably 10 if I looked it up). He pumped out the fluid, used an air powered bead breaker to get a gap started, rotated it to the top and used a dish soap bottle of gasoline and squirted enough on to run all the way around the bead, let it sit a couple minutes and it seemed easier to get the bead to break loose. He rinsed it off and used some slimy stuff rather liberally when he put it back together and so far everything is good.
Maximum use of available resources!
Johnwilson_osf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnwilson_osf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 9:27pm
We use all of the above for tires.  The one trick that we have is for tires that are still on the tractor.  We had to put a new tube in the rear of our 6080, so after we pumped the calcium out, we put one of our drop hitches in the receiver of the truck sideways.  Then we back up until the hitch is aligned with the bead.  Then we gently back up.  Turn the tire 90 degrees, and do the same thing.  Usually at 180 degrees, she pops off. 

Once she is broken, we can use the tools and spoons to pull the tire partly off, and then replace. 

The other trick we have is for filling tires.  We had an old PTO powered pump (the type you can get at Tractor Supply) that did not pump well on the sprayer.  I think the bushings are worn from all the chemical.  So I plumbed it with Quick Connect fittings, and got the Stem adapter, and when she is all hooked up, we turn the valve stem down, and turn on the Pump.  She pulls the liquid out into 55 gallon drums.  All we have to do is swap the quick connect hoses to pump the calcium back in.  Haven't had to call the tire guy in a while.

John
Allis Express: Eastern PA on Rt 80
8050, 8010, 6080, 190, D14, DA 6035, AA 6690, 5650, Gleaner F2
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 10:05pm
How many of you have tried changing tires with the wheel still on tractor?

The first time was a new tire(maybe been on a year) with a bad tube on a combine(not mine). Tire professional had knuckle boom lift arm on his truck. Got the end of boom in the bead just like a tubeless auto tire.

The second was White 2-60 (1975) 3 or 4 years ago, original 16.9 x 30 tires on it yet. One had to be filled every day to us it a little. Looked for used tires and it sat about a year.  Guy living next door doing independent  mechanic and truck tire work had done a smaller tractor tires for $25 each. The first was done before I could leave what I was doing to see how he did it.The second one didn't go so good. He was using a regular 8 or 10 lbs tire hammer and beat until he could not swing it effectively anymore (smoking and pot use where not helping).

After he told me the first time of not taking wheel the off tractor,I assumed he had a bead breaker like Eldon pictured but so. I use to split a lot of fire wood by hand and could transfer that swing into doing alright with a tire hammer. But would be lost trying  to hit it on the tractor. Having damaged nerves in right hand I don't get a good grip anymore and wood splitting is not to good so tire beating is out altogether.

Last tires I beat I used big pry bar with a 30 degree angle at the tip and steel post pounder. Worked real good ,but was not a tire that had rusted on wheel over 30 years ether.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 11:33pm

Getting the second bead off the rim was the worst part until I chained  the rim to bottom of forklift and tire to forks, raised lift it came right off.      MACK

I used to do mine that way but it was still a pain and hard on the tire. Now I lift the rim with the Skidloader and get the tire/wheel to almost stand vertical, then use the spoon to get the tire started then I take a long skinny one and slip it between the tire and bead, shove it in as far as I can, swing the handle so the other end grabs the rim lip and then pull the bar outward. You have great leverage this way and I just work my way around from the top down on both sides and the tire just falls off when you are about half way around. It is basically the opposite of putting the tire back on by sitting the rim on top of the tire.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 4:26am
Eldon, since you are our expert on tire changing, how about a video of you doing one that way?!?! Clap

Everybody else agree??
"Allis-Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic