This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5 with a tilt blade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5 with a tilt blade?
    Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 3:01pm
is it possible to turn my 8'baker straight blade into a tilt blade
thanks for any input
Sponsored Links

Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 5:02pm
Anything is possible. It would be easier to find another machine equipped the way you want it. Post a picture of your HD5 Baker I had an HD7 with a Baker roadbuilder.
serioussam View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 5:46pm

this is the only picture that i have on my phone.

Edited by serioussam - 10 Oct 2016 at 5:53pm
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 6:51pm
Yes you can. Mine has an adjustable link on the sides where the arm comes down to hold the top of the blade. we used a 3 point hitch adjuster where the stiff arm is. you shorten one side to get it to cut that way. I am in the process of making the adjuster hydraulic so I do not have to get off each time to adjust the cut. you don't need much to make it cut. I will find a pic and post.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 7:02pm

here it is, simple but effective. only takes about 2-3 turns to make a significant cut.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 7:06pm
hey thanks , I was thinking hydraulic also
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 7:07pm
here are pics of both sides. we put the adjusters on both sides but only adjust the left as the right side froze up.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 7:35pm
I was thinking just one cylinder. What are your thoughts
donoman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 1:37am
You only need one ram, that is all that is normally fitted to straight blades
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 5:37am
One ram, yes.  But if your other link is adjustable you can vary amoint of tilt left and right if you need more one way or the other.  Not much adjustment needed - FA 10 is about + 2 inches for full tilt one way, 0 inches for equal tilt both sides, - 2 inches for full tilt the other way.  Manual gives the actual lengths for this.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 7:26am
Sorry for my reply. Your Baker bulldozer is not like the Baker I remember.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 7:41am
im kinda surprised  those turnbuckles are heavy enough,  the ones on my 16 are about 6 inches in diamater
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 9:19pm
We did break the end of one after about 20 years of service. They hold up well. I was going to just use one cylinder as adjusting one works great now except for having to get off and manually adjusting each time. Makes you a better operator though to figure out how to run it without many adjustments. Need a diverter valve for the main hydraulic valve or use a small electric pump. Not sure how I am doing it yet. Any suggestions?
heron View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 1:17pm
Not trying to hijack the thread but this is the first I've seen of another 5 with the exact same setup as mine. I've been trying to find some info on the Baker setup. I need new packings for one piston and would like to have the maintenance book on the Baker. I've got the parts manual but not the maintenance. I've also got a leak on the top of the spool I'm hoping was due to running too thin hydraulic in the tank. 
Can anyone give me any tips outside the norm on this Baker blade setup?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 7:02pm
I have packing for these cylinders I will take pics of and post. they are V packing and should be available form any good hydraulic shop. As far as the Baker blade, we started with a Garwood blade but found it to be too front heavy. The baker is much more balanced. I will look as I have several books on the Baker but I think they are parts. The spool leak is not from overfilling the hydraulic tank. I had the same leak and it turns out to be an oring or a seal in the top of the valve, cannot remember which. Easy to fix once you figure out how it comes apart. I have pics somewhere when I did mine, I will try to locate.
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 3:44pm
There was a hd5 at a salvage yard a few years back with the same type blade setup the yard owner said he would take 10 grand for it but he really didn't want to sell it "I think not" but when scrap went way up he took a torch to it and sent it to china along with a old case crawler loader not sure of the model but kinda looked like a allis with a Tonka toy bucket setup on it
heron View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 11:41am
Dadsdozer: 
I would appreciate any help on the spool leak. I know for certain the lines on there have never been removed from the spool. I'd like to be able to replace that O ring without removing the valve from the dozer.
The pics of the packing would be great. My dad never messed with the leak as he thought it may be due to the cylinder being a little scarred but I  don't agree. Anything you have on it would be great. 
My challenge over the weekend is to try to free up the track adjustors...not sure how yet but I have not dove into the manual yet. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic