This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UPDATE ON THE 6060

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WNYBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UPDATE ON THE 6060
    Posted: 19 Jul 2016 at 7:29am
So I bought this tractor from a "good old boy"  who assured me the PTO clutch worked, supposedly had it on a forage wagon.  Tractor is clean, 3900 hours and will need new rears.

Runs well, with plenty of power.  Everything works....EXCEPT the PTO clutch.  Hoped it was the linkage, but it appears it is the release bearing or sleeve. It is stuck engaged.  So I've got to split the tractor to get it fixed and might just as well put in a new clutch. I can't/won't do it myself.  Am I looking at about $2000.00? 

Do I sell it now and take my loss (I'll be honest) or do I invest another 2 grand and hope?  Looks to me like they are worth $6500 to $10,000, is that about right?

Thanks to all the gentleman who have suggested fixes, but it's still stuck engaged.

Pleas don't lecture me on "buyer beware". I trusted a straight answer and a handshake. Done business that way for nearly 80 years.

Bill 

Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2016 at 8:33am
i havnt worked on a 6xxx but 2k is pretty high for a clutch R&R
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2016 at 9:09pm
If you do sell it, do you think the next tractor you buy will be any better than this one?  You need to ask yourself this question.  Did you take it somewhere to get a repair quote first?  I agree with Cal.  $2000 is crazy for splitting the tractor to replace the clutch and bearing.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2016 at 10:14pm
I would find a honest mechanic to split it.
May not cost much to fix after it is split.       MACK
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2016 at 11:08pm
  I agree; even our AGCO dealers wouldn't hook you that much and it would have a warrenty!

AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 2:59am
fix that tractor...it'll still be cheap!
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 7:07am
Doing business for 80 years! Good for you! Smile
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
WNYBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WNYBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 9:15am
Thanks for the replies, no I haven't talked to a mechanic but new clutch is $600-800 and I am just guessing at $1200 to split it.  Hope I am wrong.  

As to the value, am I high or low on my value range?  I am thinking I paid too much for this tractor, I used Tractor House as my guide.   I was figuring under $7500 with new rear tires, but with this clutch thing, that's not going to happen.

Bill
kev/ont View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kev/ont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 9:25am
I just replaced a clutch on a 6070 for a fellow and the pressure plate alone was 1000 canucks and then you need throwout bearings and labor at 90-100/hour plus trucking (if thats involved in this deal) if theres a loader that adds time as well. If somebody told me in this day and age they'd split a tractor and change the clutch for 2 bills i'd jump at it quick.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 10:20am
That cost seems reasonable to me.  Hired out, new parts, it adds up. Maybe a low intensity one man shop would only charge about $600 labor.

However, your clutch is stuck, that happens all the time. Don't we normally do things to try to un-stick them, before splitting? I don't know the 6060 clutch, I assume a somewhat normal two stage dry clutch.
LB0442 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LB0442 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 11:48am
I have to say I would think $2000 would be close, parts and labor.  Splitting is not bad at all on these units but the clutch parts can get high.  Last one I did I needed both release bearings, pilot bearing and trans front seals, did not need the clutch assembly(had a new A&I one with the tractor).  Came to around $400 from agco just for those parts.  I would have to agree with others though, if you are happy with everything else on the unit I would spend the 2 grand and you know what you have.  If you sell and buy another 30 plus year old one you could end up in the same situation or worse.
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 1:12pm
I would get it repaired and then I would petition Small Claims Court or equivalent in your state.. You might be surprised. We have a claims court judge in our city who has been ripped off a few times I think, he tends to lean towards petitioner if he smells a ripoff. Just an idea, I hope it works out for You, Trev.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 4:22pm
Call Rick at 636-488-5662 for clutch parts. Nobody can touch him on price and quality. He may be able to fix you up on trans. parts too. He's who I go to. He had the clutch and all the works for a Belarus that I put in three yrs' ago for a neighbor. He uses it to bale big bales with every year and I haven't had even to readjust it yet.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 4:26pm
The dang thing may be just stuck, and you might not have to buy a clutch.
WNYBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WNYBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 7:17am
Leon, Give me some ideas how to un-stuck it?  Originally I thought the clutch arm was seized, but I have that moving and it still won't disengage.   

Bill
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 7:44am
Have you put a load on the PTO if it's rusted up it may just be stuck to tight to allow you to release with noload on the shaft
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 9:51am

Pull starter go in with a bore scope
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
WNYBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WNYBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 11:37am
I ran a 8 foot rotary mower in heavy grass for 3 hours, half the time in the engaged position and the other half in dis-engaged position.  Loosed up the clutch arm but not the clutch.  Even tried coasting down hill and popped the clutch to start mower and tractor.  That was hard on things!

Pull the starter????? I have a picture of what it is supposed to look like....... would I dare spray some penetrating oil in there????

Bill
LB0442 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LB0442 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 12:29pm
Here is a picture of the clutch.  You can see the starter hole in the upper right of the picture.  I don't think you could hit anything good with the penetrating oil from there.  As said before I have you could use a bore scope to angle it past and down from the clutch to get a look at things. 

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 1:35pm
I would say that if you could get to the bolts, just loosen them a little bit and with a good six sided Ken Tool bar and BFH way lay the devil out of it. If nothing else you'll relieve your frustrations and maybe another idea will show up. I dang sure wouldn't jump the gun and tear it apart before I gave it a good go.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 1:41pm
I might add that if you can split it just far enough to get to it to loosen it up if you just have a moderate amount of experience you could do it yourself. You can change a tire can't you? That's enough experience. Plenty of good guys on here that can talk, er type you thru. it.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 10:11pm
If the lever moves easy a short distance then starts feeling pressure, it sounds like the linkage needs adjusted to move throw out further. Have saw them where they needed some linkage modified for them to release.    MACK
WNYBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WNYBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 8:05am
Mack, I have the linkage off and am moving the clutch arm with a 20 inch piece of pipe.  It comes to a solid stop both ways (bottom of clutch arm moves <2 inches), but the clutch won't disengage.

LeonR, I am going to try to send you a picture of the release bearing, I don't understand how it and your picture go together.

I really appreciate all the reply's and suggestions. Keep coming back to the same solution, split the tractor and I don't have a place to do it and I am too darn old anyway.

Bill  
WNYBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WNYBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 8:12am
OOPS!   Going to try to send picture to LB0442.

Bill
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 8:45am
If it is rusted up ,then it dose need to come apart to get that rust off face of disc , or u will be splitting it later , pending . I understand why u do not want to split it, but there are times when things just need done . Good luck
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
kev/ont View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kev/ont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 9:25am
Could be as simple as a bad pilot bearing. Not gonna know till its in 2 pieces. Likely gonna do it all while you are in there anyway.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 12:09pm
Bill, you never get to old to turn bolts. I told my wife that if I come down with old timers just give me a nut and bolt and I'll set there happy as a clam thinking I'm overhauling a "B" or putting in a clutch or something. You never know you might have an old buddy that would enjoy helping you. Plus you could set there and have a cool whatever and discuss the vagaries of mice and men. I will admit that age is taking it's toll but dang it I'm going down scratchin" and kickin'.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic