This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Distillate/TVO setup on a '41 B?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekjdm14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distillate/TVO setup on a '41 B?
    Posted: 17 Sep 2024 at 9:54am
So, having done a little more sifting through the pile of parts that constitutes my 1941 model B (serial B54806) and things are taking a turn. I had thought my unit was a straight gas/petrol tractor seeing as it was US built but there's another, smaller auxiliary tank included in the bits & from the holes in the hood it would appear to be a petrol tank and the main tank intended for TVO/distillate.

Were these commonplace over in the US? I always thought TVO was a UK thing & you guys got the good stuff?

I've seen a few model B online with the aux. tank in the same location (central on the mag side of the engine) but they all seem to have the normal fuel tap location on the main tank. Mine still has the large bung where the tap/sediment bowl would go, but also has a smaller tap soldered in closer to the middle (and what appears to be a vent/return soldered near the top). Kinda wondering if this was a conversion done after it hit UK shores?

Any info would be cool, although given the price of fuel these days I'm leaning toward running straight gas anyway (with a dash of 2 stroke & additive to help the valve seats) once she's finally resurrected from the basket case she is.

Thanks, Dan

Edited by ekjdm14 - 17 Sep 2024 at 9:56am
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2024 at 1:12pm
Here in the US there was a "Kerosene"  what you call "tractor fuel" version. It needed the small "Gasoline/Petrol" tank for starting and warm up. The tanks are nearly impossible to find. Many years ago I have a few copies made from a rusted out one that I had come across. I do still have a single one of the copies left. It is available for sale, however I see shipping it to the UK as being a problem, due to taxes and tariffs. Do you ever come to the states?

If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
ekjdm14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekjdm14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2024 at 1:19pm
I don't come over sadly, you'd struggle to get me back out again if I did! :D  

The tank I have here is actually pretty solid. The only issue is the mounting studs appear to be broken out of it, I was thinking maybe braze some bolts in if I use it. Otherwise (considering gas is cheaper than kero now anyway) I may just attach it as a non-functional placeholder.

Cheers, Dan
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2024 at 1:28pm
Jus be sure and clean it good before brazing on the tank,  AND/OR hook up a CO2 or Argon tank to it to dispel any Oxygen that would incur disastrous results.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
ekjdm14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekjdm14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 4:54am
Good advice, I think its been plenty of years since either tank saw fuel but can never be too careful. If I do just keep it for "show" I'll just put bolts through loose to avoid any risk of going pop!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic