This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just bought an AC 7010 PS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowzuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just bought an AC 7010 PS
    Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 8:24pm
Was on here last year asking about a junky 8000 series, steered clear of that!

A 7010 PS with 7000 hours and 300 hours on a rebuilt engine came up locally for a good price and I got it after first buyer backed out.  Air conditioning components are all deleted but thats common up here. Front end tight, new batteries, every light works because they wired a new little control panel of switches next to the dash.

I'm not an allis guy, this is only the second I've driven but I had a few questions.

1) At idle the powersteering doesn't always work, bump it up a few rpm and its fine.  Memories of old IH's, is this normal or should I be concerned?
2) At idle, the powershift can be slipped by barely tapping on the brakes.  With any rev's at all you can stand on the brakes and roll black smoke out the pipe with no slip.  Does the powershift have a dedicated pump or is it shared with the steering?  As best I can find there are 3 pumps, 2 open centre and one ccls but I can't find out which one is connected where.  I priced a new pump out of curiosity and its more than I paid for the tractor.
3) The powershift and range levers are so sloppy, the range especially, you can't get it into park even though someone has enlarged the slot travel.  I'm going to see about the loose lever on the valve body for the gear cable, sounds like two cables for the range shifter.
4) Trans brake needs adjusting.  My brain needs adjusting to get used to this setup.

5) 3rd position remote needs a gorilla to operate the lever, is there a friction adjustment or just bad cable?

Going to try running it on my discbine for the summer but I'm not sold on it yet.  We will see.

EDIT sorry for the giant image, I can't find anyway to remove it.

Edited by slowzuki - 19 Apr 2016 at 8:55pm
Sponsored Links

CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 8:36pm
You mean no air conditioning is common up in Canada?!?! LOL
I don't know the answers to all your questions, but the powershift and range levers being sloppy is probably a cable, as is the 3rd remote lever. Someone who knows more than me will chime in soon. 
slowzuki View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowzuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 8:53pm
I have two other cab tractors, and both have AC but it always seems to break just before haying season.  95 F sunny day with the baler behind me I am counting the plunger strokes to the end of the field so I can open the windows and door.  Never think of it the rest of the year!

Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

You mean no air conditioning is common up in Canada?!?! LOL
I don't know the answers to all your questions, but the powershift and range levers being sloppy is probably a cable, as is the 3rd remote lever. Someone who knows more than me will chime in soon. 
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 9:34pm
1 and 2 Sounds like the idle needs set up some.
3 Remove floor of cab and check for loose cable anchors, cable ends and bolt on top of short gear shift.
4 Trans. Brake . There is a small snap ring that comes off in valve body that makes brake  not work. 
 5  Cable is most likely the problem.         MACK  
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 9:39pm
that's a nice looking tractor!
slowzuki View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowzuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 7:48am
I'm hesitant to mess with the idle just yet, I'm trying to understand whats going on first.  I'd like to find a hydraulic circuit diagram for them but no luck so far.

Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

1 and 2 Sounds like the idle needs set up some.
3 Remove floor of cab and check for loose cable anchors, cable ends and bolt on top of short gear shift.
4 Trans. Brake . There is a small snap ring that comes off in valve body that makes brake  not work. 
 5  Cable is most likely the problem.         MACK  
Dmpaul89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmpaul89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 8:55am
What rpm does it idle at? Id crank it up
allis/cattle View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis/cattle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 1:55pm
where in canada are you? im in manitoba
slowzuki View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowzuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 2:02pm
New Brunswick, barely a 40 hour drive away!

Actually working on a couple of jobs in Manitoba for my day job.

Seems to be more Allis equipment out west?  We have lots of AC dozers and forklifts around here but no tractors.

Originally posted by allis/cattle allis/cattle wrote:

where in canada are you? im in manitoba
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis/cattle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 6:02pm
damn i was hoping you were in manitoba and if you didnt like your 7010 id take it off your hands lol whats your day job?
slowzuki View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowzuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 8:32pm
Seller handed over a list of 6 names that were lined up to buy if I fell through, one offered quite a bit more than they were asking if he could jump the list and buy it.  Good honest seller and super helpful.

I'm working on building code / permit paperwork for a fertilizer plant out there.  Hoping to get out west again this summer after hay season, been out 4 times now.  Manitoba's a lot like NB, very friendly people.

damn i was hoping you were in manitoba and if you didnt like your 7010 id take it off your hands lol whats your day job?
slowzuki View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowzuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 2:04pm
Idle is 900 rpm.  Went out this morning and steering is fine turned slow but gets notchy like when low on oil if you turn fast.  Maybe priority valve sticking the other day or gear pump on its last legs.

Also checked cables and the little metal and plastic tie-rod ends are super sloppy on all the shifter cables/linkages.  I'm hoping they can be purchased on their own.

Edited by slowzuki - 21 Apr 2016 at 2:20pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis/cattle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 6:58pm
oh the koch plant in brandon?? my fiance is from new found land and says where snobs compared to the newfies and i believe is i was there last summer it was a awesome place to go
slowzuki View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowzuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 8:41pm
Sorry I can't say the name of the owner.  From what I understand there are 3 competitors in a fairly close radius.

I've only been to Nfld once but it was a great 2 weeks.  The first day we were there was a sunday morning, at 8 am us and the whole restaurant full of old ladies watched a very drunk young couple have sex in the parking lot across the street.  Fellow waved to the joggers running by.

Took a pic of the truck they were against for the photo album.

oh the koch plant in brandon?? my fiance is from new found land and says where snobs compared to the newfies and i believe is i was there last summer it was a awesome place to go

Edited by slowzuki - 21 Apr 2016 at 8:43pm
slowzuki View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowzuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 6:36pm
Well a little testing today.  I normally run this mower on my 82 pto hp Massey 5455 but I hate swapping it on and off every day of haying season and could use a few more ponies.

Mounted it on the 7010 and... front end comes up when you let up the clutch or bump the powershift to a higher gear, was not expecting that on a tractor this much bigger!  With it swung to the side the 18.4x38 is not happy doesn't show on the outside but the inside was squashed right down.  Driving around the yard about scared the brown stuff out of me.

slowzuki View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowzuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 6:40pm
For reference, the MF 5455 it normally rides on:

WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 7:56pm
Owned a 7010 after having a 7000 for 6 years. The 7010 was a much heavier and better tractor.
We are planning on taking a holiday in May by driving east from Ontario, to Quebec, New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia.
Fred Dunlop, G,B,CA, WC,WF, 3 WD45`s,gas, diesel and LP,U,D10 series III, D12,D14,D15 SERIES II,D17 Series IV in Gas and Diesel ,D19 GAS and D21,170 185,210 ,220 an I-600 8070 fwd, 716H and 1920H
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 8:14pm
even being a smaller tractor I would think with FWA and a loader would make it heavier on the front than the 7010. Put some suitcase weights out front.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by slowzuki slowzuki wrote:

Well a little testing today.  I normally run this mower on my 82 pto hp Massey 5455 but I hate swapping it on and off every day of haying season and could use a few more ponies.

Mounted it on the 7010 and... front end comes up when you let up the clutch or bump the powershift to a higher gear, was not expecting that on a tractor this much bigger!  With it swung to the side the 18.4x38 is not happy doesn't show on the outside but the inside was squashed right down.  Driving around the yard about scared the brown stuff out of me.

Your 7010 does not have a fwd axle and loader to keep the front end down - you need to keep that in mind.  It seems most of these tractors came with front weights, but it also seems most previous owners took them off for some reasons.  If you ask around, you might find someone that has a set.  With the squatting rear tire, you might want to check the pressure, should be around 15 psi.
Nice tractor though.  I like the air horn on top of the cab!
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
slowzuki View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowzuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 8:28pm
Its a beautiful trip along the ocean and rivers, I forget about it sometimes because its just there all the time.  Private message me if you'd like any travel recommendations or my offline contact info for if you get in a jam anywhere.

Originally posted by WD45 WD45 wrote:

Owned a 7010 after having a 7000 for 6 years. The 7010 was a much heavier and better tractor.
We are planning on taking a holiday in May by driving east from Ontario, to Quebec, New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia.
slowzuki View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowzuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 8:33pm
Yeah they removed the weight bracket to fit the plow mount.  I may have to make a rock box.  I have a few 150 lb lead weights that I could sit in the bottom.  I just assumed the 6 cyl being longer would keep it planted as that little 4 cyl doesn't even think about rearing up.  I used to run it with the tires all the way in before as well but the hillsides were not fun when the mower hung downhill.

Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

even being a smaller tractor I would think with FWA and a loader would make it heavier on the front than the 7010. Put some suitcase weights out front.
slowzuki View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowzuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 10:15am
A short update on this tractor, haven't run it more than an hour or two.  Flipped the pto shaft to 540 and its still blued, not a mark on it.  Was going to put it on the round baler today but the plow gear hangs down into the windrow.

-the hydraulic oil is overfilled by about 1" or more on the stick, into the don't overfill message.  Am I going to have problems other than oil foaming and excessive heating if its worked hard?

-The power steering issue remains, sometimes it steers ok at lowish rpm, other times it doesn't want to steer even at higher rpm.  Guessing spool valve sticking.  Doesn't get all jumpy like a cavitating pump.

-Reverse gear is very noisy / clacking at idle but sounds ok with a bit of rpms.  I'm not sure I want to know the answer to this one.
LB0442 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LB0442 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 1:32pm
I bought a 7080 a while ago that had been sitting a while, steering did the same thing.  I would guess about 70% of the time at low rpm you could turn the wheel and nothing would happen, but it did seem to turn a little stiff when it did that.  The steering cylinder had a leak, not bad but I resealed it thought that would take care of it.  Nope still same, just not leaking.  Steering motor had a leak so I took it apart, cleaned and resealed it.  Nope still bad.  So I used it a while then changed out the PTO to dual 540/1000 and at that time new fluid and both axle filters.  That fixed it, never had a problem since, very smooth steering now, even at idle.  Could have been the filters or previous owner had heavy fluid in it???  Just what I ran into.   Very nice looking tractor, good luck.
slowzuki View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowzuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 9:44pm
Heavy fluid, thats a good point, the last owner was a logging contractor for his day job.  I bet he put whatever oil they run in their harvester from a bulk tank.  I'll change the filters and see what that does.
slowzuki View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowzuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 3:27pm
Thought I'd give a little update on this tractor.  It was on the back burner as we bought a very rough Kubota M120 4wd with a loader that has been helping out.  I didn't get all the AC's issues fixed but it was pressed into service.

Plowed 10 rocky acres with it.  Ran a hydraulic reel rock picker for 50+ hours in the field.  Then in haying season the Kubota lost its water pump so the AC to the rescue.  Put another chunk of hours on it.  Lost an oil line on the motor in spectacular fashion but got things shut down in time and got going again.  Intermittent hydraulic leak from a valve block on the rear axle was tough to track down and would dump 2 -3 gallons every 10 hours resulting in a loss of power steering on the hills behind our house so as soon as the water pump was rebuilt in the kubota I parked the AC.

Finally bought a large enough crowsfoot to tighten the offending fitting this winter.  Crossing fingers its the problem as its a weird fitting with a sleeve sticking out of the nut.  Need new front main seal before the season starts again.

Edited by slowzuki - 27 Feb 2018 at 3:32pm
slowzuki View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowzuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 3:32pm
Some pics:

Edited by slowzuki - 27 Feb 2018 at 3:39pm
slowzuki View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slowzuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 12:34pm
Was back on the site due to buying a Gleaner F3 and figured I'd update this old thread.

The old Allis still chugging along 7+ years later, discbine hangs off it all summer.  Does some offset disc work other times.  Very low cost per hour to run vs newer iron so quite happy with it.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 11:46pm
That’s good to hear. Have you been off sense 2018
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 9:51am
I clicked on this since I have a 7010 myself.  I also recognized you from HayTalk forum.   When I saw the original post date, I thought why is this getting resurrected?  Nice to have your feedback after 7 years!  Apparently the tractor has ran so well you didn't need to jump back on here and get any fixing advice. :-)

Edited by calico190xt68 - 18 Oct 2023 at 9:52am
80 7010, 80 7020. 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
slowzuki View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowzuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 7:22am
Luckily its been pretty minor problems, window fell out of the door which I need to learn the twine in the seal trick.  Remote cable broke last year.  The steering still is terrible and has gotten worse, but have narrowed it down to the steering valve.  One direction it works fine, the other direction you can turn slow and it will never steer, have to give quick jabs.  That's on the list to tackle but since it work ok at pto speed mowing it never seems to be a priority.

Yup on hay talk still intermittently.  Have more cows now to deal with too, and some soybeans, and day job.  Busy times.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic