![]() |
This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity. | |||||
| The Forum | Parts and Services | Unofficial Allis Store | Tractor Shows | Serial Numbers | History | |
Field Planting Pattern - Row Cultivating |
Post Reply
|
| Author | |
wjohn
Orange Level
Joined: 19 Jan 2010 Location: KS Points: 2609 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Topic: Field Planting Pattern - Row CultivatingPosted: 06 May 2026 at 9:50pm |
|
This is definitely a dumb younger guy question, but here it goes... say you have a rectangular field of soybeans, milo, etc. (some crop you would row cultivate if you weren't using herbicides, but not one that you have to worry so much about combining direction, turns, etc. since you're using a grain platform). As long as the slope of the field allows, you probably plant your rows along the "long" side of the rectangle. Then you need to finish up the headlands, and those rows are going to be parallel to the "short" side of the rectangle.
Those headlands would need to be just deep enough for my CA to turn around in when cultivating the majority of the rows in the "long" direction. So, you lay down however many planter passes in the headlands that you need to get that depth. Would you do those passes all the way around the field, say a few passes clockwise/counterclockwise? I am thinking when you get to the corners, if you had just run a few straight passes back and forth along the short side to make your headlands, you would dead end yourself when cultivating or wipe out some of those rows when you turn to get out of there. Maybe not a huge deal? Lots of words, and a picture would probably be better, but I hope that makes enough sense that anyone who cultivated a lot knows what I'm asking.
|
|
|
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
|
|
![]() |
|
| Sponsored Links | |
![]() |
|
Lars(wi)
Orange Level Access
Joined: 14 Sep 2009 Location: Permian Basin Points: 8573 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 06 May 2026 at 10:15pm |
|
As planting oats, wheat, or any small grain that is ‘sown’ it makes no difference. As for corn, milo, or any thing like you say gets cultivated during the year, or is harvested with a ‘row header’ of some sort, we planted the first few rounds going in complete circle around the field. We had a 4 row wide corn planter, three trips around the field give you 12 rows on the headlands. Then the remainder of the field was planted working from one side to the other. We had a couple farms that were ‘terraced’ or ‘strip farmed’ the CCC in the 1930’s layed out narrow fields, berms, dams, etc. some of those fields after the 3 trips around the field, that field was all planted.
Edited by Lars(wi) - 06 May 2026 at 10:22pm |
|
|
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
|
|
![]() |
|
SteveM C/IL
Orange Level Access
Joined: 12 Sep 2009 Location: Shelbyville IL Points: 9219 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 06 May 2026 at 10:17pm |
|
Not sure i follow your scenario. I plant end rows all the way across the ends then start on one side and work across. When done you drive out. When cultivating,you've ran down plenty turning on the ends. What's a little more?
|
|
![]() |
|
Lars(wi)
Orange Level Access
Joined: 14 Sep 2009 Location: Permian Basin Points: 8573 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 06 May 2026 at 10:43pm |
|
My scenario? Was I as clear as mud?🤪
|
|
|
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
|
|
![]() |
|
AC7060IL
Orange Level
Joined: 19 Aug 2012 Location: central IL Points: 3789 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 06 May 2026 at 11:10pm |
|
Good habit ~ Learn how to back planter into any corner, set it down, & maximize best corner planting.
Rest of field depends on access, obstacles, & relative layout. And if a grain cart at harvest is not an option, then the length of rows depends on usual combine’s grain tank capacity to either complete a pass or complete one round(2passes of its header). If a rectangular field’s lengthwise initial field pass borders an adjacent obstacle (neighbors field, fence, hedgerow, etc), plant that pass & any necessary subsequent passes beside it which allows for an adequate area to turn around at end of turn rows which are perpendicular to it. Sometimes an entrance to the field might be into that initial lengthwise pass by neighbor/fence/hedgerow from a lane or road access? If so, then it’s easy to pull in from road, set down planter & go. At that initial pass’s other far end, stop planter far enough back to leave room for turnrows. If needed, back planter into that corner, set it down as far back as possible to maximize corner planting & plant turnrows. After turnrows are completed, go back to initial lengthwise passes & continue planting across field. If field is irregular, maybe plant complete perimeter turnrows, then plant inside to best accommodate field &/or situations? Consider the planting procedure will likely depict any subsequent row cultivation &/or sprayer procedures. Edited by AC7060IL - 06 May 2026 at 11:16pm |
|
![]() |
|
wjohn
Orange Level
Joined: 19 Jan 2010 Location: KS Points: 2609 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 07 May 2026 at 11:01pm |
|
Steve, Lars, I find it fascinating that the first two replies I got were the two different methods I could think of! Ha. At the end of the day, maybe it doesn't matter that much as it just depends on what's easiest for a guy on the corners?
|
|
|
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
|
|
![]() |
|
wjohn
Orange Level
Joined: 19 Jan 2010 Location: KS Points: 2609 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 07 May 2026 at 11:06pm |
|
AC7060IL - I will be using a mounted planter that's really tiny compared to the big stuff today, so it should be pretty maneuverable and easy to back into spots if needed. I would just have to mimic that layout and back up my CA when cultivating if I were going to follow them. I think that is what I am trying to minimize - too many fiddly maneuvers when I cultivate multiple passes, but I also don't want to crush a bunch of the crop and I'm sure there is some balance that is best.
|
|
|
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
|
|
![]() |
|
DMiller
Orange Level Access
Joined: 14 Sep 2009 Location: Hermann, Mo Points: 36592 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 08 May 2026 at 7:35am |
|
A great deal of farms used to eliminate the Field Borders to attain better total yields, by the time Spray Coupes or Cultivators run across fields to manage the Rows they damaged near as much as was Edge Planted. Need Buffer Zones around Fields to manage a Field and to get on or off Cultivatable rows. Backing into corners or attempt to cultivate every square foot is minimal gains and often leads to unharvested crop left to scavengers or damaged during growth to Pesticide spraying, Cultivating, or gaining access to harvest. So if an Acre or A Few is Gained by eliminating Buffer and attaining 150-200b/ac Average then damage to less than 50% Yield on that particular acreage what was actually "Gained"? Monetarily.
Witnessing More farms discontinuing said practices.
|
|
![]() |
|
Lars(wi)
Orange Level Access
Joined: 14 Sep 2009 Location: Permian Basin Points: 8573 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 08 May 2026 at 11:38am |
|
A lot of how you plant a row crop, is determined on the method of harvesting that row crop.
The very outer rows generally are lower yield, due to competition for nutrients and or sunlight from trees, grass in a fence line, etc. I’ve know farmers that planted to outer couple rows of corn with a cheap, lower yield variety, so hopefully they could make all the way around the field the first trip without overflowing the wagon. Changing wagons partway thru ‘opening up’ a field is a royal pain in the butt. |
|
|
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
|
|
![]() |
|
JW in MO
Orange Level
Joined: 16 Feb 2010 Location: Mid Central MO Points: 2733 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 08 May 2026 at 1:47pm |
We always left enough grass around the fields to drive on, turn cultivators and such. Also helped with erosion control, especially when heavy rains hit right after planting.
|
|
|
Maximum use of available resources!
|
|
![]() |
|
DanWi
Orange Level Access
Joined: 18 Sep 2009 Location: wttn Points: 2149 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 08 May 2026 at 9:45pm |
|
How many acres is the field? If you are planting with a 2 row planter I would plant 8 headland rows unless there is open grass to turn on. The narrow tires on those small tractors don't run over that much corn. It really helps to cultivate when the corn is smaller. How many times do you plan to cultivate the field? As the corn gets big you will knock more over with the cultivator turning.
|
|
![]() |
|
wjohn
Orange Level
Joined: 19 Jan 2010 Location: KS Points: 2609 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 08 May 2026 at 11:18pm |
|
We are talking small peanuts as far as field sizes - both fields together are just under 10 acres. I am doing and using about everything for the first time so it will be a good learning experience this go around. I will be planting with a 4 row planter, but set up on 20" rows, so I do need to measure/calculate out how deep I need in order for the CA to turn around in comfortably. That is simple enough to figure out.
I will be doing soybeans this year. I am hoping to hit the field pretty heavily with the rotary hoe early on, and then plant to cultivate a few times at least until they canopy. Again, there will be a lot of figuring out to do and I'm sure my plan will change a few times. |
|
|
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
|
|
![]() |
|
DanWi
Orange Level Access
Joined: 18 Sep 2009 Location: wttn Points: 2149 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 09 May 2026 at 5:06am |
|
Are you going to cultivate 2 rows or 4 at a time? To help with turning on the end skip every other set of rows. Work your way across the field. Then go back and do the rows you skipped.
|
|
![]() |
|
wjohn
Orange Level
Joined: 19 Jan 2010 Location: KS Points: 2609 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 09 May 2026 at 8:46am |
I am doing 4 rows at a time, and am planning on skipping every 4 unless the brakes work really well!
|
|
|
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
|
|
![]() |
|
Les Kerf
Orange Level
Joined: 08 May 2020 Location: Idaho Points: 1903 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 09 May 2026 at 10:21am |
|
My late Father-in-law told of cultivating four rows of sugar beets in the Boise Valley back in the 1940's-50's. His Dad had a Model C Allis with two row cultivator which was later traded in on an Allis Model CA which used a four row setup. He said they always used the brakes to spin around so as not to skip rows. I have always had a hankerin' to do this but probably never will
![]() |
|
![]() |
|
wjohn
Orange Level
Joined: 19 Jan 2010 Location: KS Points: 2609 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 09 May 2026 at 2:45pm |
|
Not skipping is probably ideal? Probably the less thinking and counting you have to do in the sun when it is 100 degrees, the better. We'll see... The brakes worked better than I expected when I unloaded it off of my trailer, but if they're not totally up to snuff they will not get done in time for cultivating this year.
|
|
|
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
|
|
![]() |
|
dr p
Orange Level
Joined: 24 Feb 2019 Location: new york Points: 1681 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 09 May 2026 at 5:51pm |
|
I would look at how you are going to harvest it. great to get into the tight corners but if you can't get the combine in there, just going to be squirrel food.
|
|
![]() |
|
wjohn
Orange Level
Joined: 19 Jan 2010 Location: KS Points: 2609 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 09 May 2026 at 6:11pm |
I will have no problem nosing my CII or my A into any of the corners in these fields. The 60A might be more of a challenge but if I have time to get that up and running this year, you better buy a lottery ticket. Won't be using that any time soon I'm afraid.
|
|
|
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
|
|
![]() |
|
Post Reply
|
|
|
Tweet
|
| Forum Jump | Forum Permissions ![]() You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot create polls in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum |