This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

where to get a 175 cam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cranky View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 12:30pm
who is the wizard?
Sponsored Links

mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 9:41am
Seams to me that the reason everyone wants to use .050 lifter rise is because that's where apples compare to apples .its my understanding that grinders use anywhere from .004 to .008 lifter rise for advertised duration but what do I know that's why I trust the wizard
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 9:16am
Originally posted by mgburchard mgburchard wrote:

Marty the wizard said advertised duration and didn't specify the lifter rise so I don't know what the duration is at .050 to speculate do you?

280 on the seat is more than the engine would tolerate, if it were 250*@.050" the ramp is fine, but duration to long. If it were 210*@.050 the ramp is to slow and you'll burn valves and have a pooch.....you should know better, the more you post, the dumber you appear. 280 on the seat, is 280 on the seat....no matter what the rest of the numbers are it won't work, and if it does the ramp is so slow that the engine is starving at the start and has no ram charging effect at the end of the cycle.

Go spend the day on Google reading up on basic camshaft knowledge pankey and try to post something of reasonable intelligence tomorrow.

Edited by wi50 - 26 Aug 2014 at 9:26am
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 9:13am
The Berry grind that people keep getting that is messed up is about 280* advertised duration and about 242* or 244* @.050 duration. It simply won't work. I believe the master lobe numbers to be 317f but I'm going from memory. I've had a few guys drop off their "175 grind" and this is what Berry gave them. I called Berry to ask why they did this and got a genaric reply that is "what we do for all of them".... Well I hope they didn't grind to many that way as it's a waste of a cam core.

Your bone stock cams will have a .050" duration of about 185*. I've measured several from early to late and wrote down the specs in my notebook, its not in front of me now and I don't recall the seat or advertised duration or the lobe separation angles (LSA) 105 or so sticks in my mind.

The biggest drawback to the stock cams is the can to crank timing, or can phasing. The events are happening way to late. Typically if I put a degree wheel on and mark true TDC and find the intake centerline or ICL of a can it's out there around 112 or 113* ATDC. This isn't good.

You've got a reasonably stock engine, if you were to use a plain stock can and simply advance it one tooth you would gain a bunch. One tooth is worth just over 13* of crankshaft rotation. This means that your ICL would be right around 100*atdc. I'd rather see you split the tooth by slotting the holes in the gear, or cutting a new keyway in the shaft and go for a 104*atdc ICL. It would be better to add about 10 degrees of duration @.050 lift by having a can ground with a .050" duration of in the mid 190's, for example 195*@.050", and a seat duration of roughly 235* This will vary slightly with the can grinders master lobes and what they have to work with. With your smaller engine, slow speed and reasonably stock parts, I'd keep the lobe separation angle down around 105 or 106*. If I'm getting a cal for a mid sized engine I go for a 107*LSA and for the larger engines 108 or 109 LSA. All these are just slight changes with minimal effect on things. I'll go with a .050" duration of about 202 to 210 on the mid sized engines depending on what they run for rpm, carb, head work etc. On the larger engines I'll add a little more duration, and as I said spread the lobe separations just a bit.

Long story short, if you're cheap, throw the stock cam in one tooth advanced....if you're ambitious measure the ICL and degree the cam in at 104 ICL. If you want to spend a few hundred bucks there will be slight improvement by grinding a cam for about 195*@.050 duration on both lobes, 106 LSA and decreeing or timing the cam to 104 ICl.

It is nice if a grinder will grind a split duration, meaning one duration on the intake lobe and another on the exhaust lobe. These siamesed port 4 cyl engines can benefit from a slightly longer intake duration then exhaust. I use some cams with a 210*@.050 intake and a 195@.050 exhaust. The problem with the siamesed port is the exhaust overlap on one cylinder while the intakes on a shared port are on overlap, any to much duration causes a problem and by trimming the exhaust duration back, the engine can tolerate a little more time to breathe on the intakes.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 9:00am
Marty the wizard said advertised duration and didn't specify the lifter rise so I don't know what the duration is at .050 to speculate do you?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 8:52am
Charlie ken dakin bought seven or eight individual regrind cams from different cam grinders the ones they advertise as a stocking grind for them and they all cam doctor the same . a radical grind for 240 inches is a stock grind for 400 inches and that information feed to grinder of choice will make all the difference from a can the grinder stocks as a shelf cam to a custom cam .

Edited by mgburchard - 26 Aug 2014 at 8:53am
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 8:07am
So who do you guys recommend to do cams then?

I am planning to spiff up my D17 226 this winter for a little more power. Has the stock 4" bore A-C pistons in it now and stock cam.
So I really need to source:
1: A 175 gas carb or at the min. the 175 venturi (If I can find one). Jetting changes?
2: CAM change. More torque?
3: AGCO 175 pistons or WD flattops?

I pull 3 mph stock class. I would like to use 2nd Low for a bit more speed or maybe even 2nd Hi and lug it to the end and then give more RPM's as tire slip more.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 7:15am
Exhaust temps are the same as ambient temps for you boys. Boom after a few failed attempts. I seam to recall the boy not being able to move the sled. I also recall the nitwit saying that a siamesed port engine wouldn't tolerate more than 224* @ .050" furcation can. So if you still think you need 280/advertised duration, then explain why such a slow ramp is good for a torque engine......seams to me like you boys don't know enough about camshafts to post any legitimate information, or don't rember what you post and make up bs to cover more bs (which is the case here).
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 9:04am
I know what engine the cam the wizard advertized duration went into and it didn't work for Larry in Ohio but in the engine the wizzard put it in is very large in cubic inches and the exhaust temps are normal .big cams work in big engines . little cams work in little engines

Edited by mgburchard - 25 Aug 2014 at 9:09am
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 5:00pm
I've had a few people supply me with cams for their engines that came from Berry in the recent past. The grind is so far off that it simply won't work. These people didn't know what they wanted in the first place and let Berry do the thinking.....or just said they wanted that magic 175 grind.

I have used Berry to grind cams recently, but I supplied the data and specs I wanted, they were just fine. I have a couple other grinders grind cams and keep a few different grinds on hand.

When it comes to cams, let the right people spec things out. This is an old thread, but if you read some of the above posts you'll see some self proclaimed wizard tell us to use a cam with an advertised duration of 270-280 degrees. Most of you don't know what that means, and the few who do know better than to take advice like that. For that type of an advertised duration to work with any reasonable @.050" numbers the ramp would be so "slow" that the engine would be extremely lazy, and good at burning exhaust valves.

Edited by wi50 - 24 Aug 2014 at 5:04pm
Kevin in WA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin in WA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 2:26pm
Berry Cams has changed ownership from what I have been told, and the quality of work is not the same. a friend of mine sent him a D17 cam to be ground to 175 specs, and it came back way off. I think Barney used to send him work also but has recently also had trouble with his grinds. Hopefully Berry Cams will improve their work in the future.
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 6:28am
I know this is a older thread but, Berry info:
www.berrycammn.com
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 4:46pm
you really should use a cam dr.  you will find those specs on a lot of the cams. why i posted them. it is  offered at least by five cam grinding shops.  i dont like having money tied up in parts awaiting to be sold . I rather have Ron or Mike grind a cam based on cubic inches and compression vs a off the shelf ,"we offer two grinds that you get into with a lot of cam grinders . Its more about custom at our shop than got one on the shelf .  150 is what i get charged at rons to have a cam done mike is a little more. 75 dollars for core plus 150 = 225 . 
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 10:46am
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

Barney about two weeks ago told me he wasn't going to have anymore ground . I am waiting on  a little cash flow to purchase his good cores  to have ground however he could have changed his mind it has been two weeks. If you run most of the grinds in a cam dr. you find most are exactly the same pattern with the largest being .330 lobe lift and 276 to 280 advertised duration . barney , berry, bullitt , jones, comp. etc jmho

Barney likes pankey as much as everyone else so he's chareing at least tripple for the cores. With pankeys cam specs an engine will make 1/3 the power of one with a stock cam.    3x the price for 1/3 the performance. Anyone need to ask why he's waiting for a few bucks to buy parts$
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 6:34am
Pank said he was waiting on cash-flow to buy a few of Barneys cams... But a few weeks ago his " machine shop" was so busy with pulling motors circle track motors and drag engines. He also stated that he had 5 union machinists working for him... But he has to wait fir cash flow to buy a few $225 dollar cams????????? Now i obviously don't take him seriously. But, it's still fun to point out inconsistencies ...Jmho..
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 8:26am
wi50, I need to get with you quick! I am thinking of a new cam, would like to discuss what you have. I want to keep mine going till I can do the swap.
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 8:16pm
I've got ground cams on hand and some more at the grinder. Depending on your engine and what you're doing I change the lobe seperation angle a bit.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 4:12pm
Barney about two weeks ago told me he wasn't going to have anymore ground . I am waiting on  a little cash flow to purchase his good cores  to have ground however he could have changed his mind it has been two weeks. If you run most of the grinds in a cam dr. you find most are exactly the same pattern with the largest being .330 lobe lift and 276 to 280 advertised duration . barney , berry, bullitt , jones, comp. etc jmho

Edited by mlpankey - 09 May 2013 at 4:16pm
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 10:46am
I do alot if business with Berry, but for a low rpm Allis cam I'd still say go with Barney..degree it straight up or 104/105 degrees
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 9:00am
anybody know berry cams and Barney Taylor's phone numbers or email adresses? google search got nothing
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 8:07am
Just have Barney Taylor do one of his custom grinds on your WD core. KipClap
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 8:36pm
Berry cams just finished a puller cam for my brothers 38 wc. Was $209 for cam grind and all lifters resurfaced.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 7:03pm
The drive gear on the nose/front of the camshaft. Call Berry Cam for a quote on their price. I'd guess a couple hundred bucks, but ask them.
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 6:50pm
What do you mean by cam nose gear
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 6:49pm
How much does that cost
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 6:03pm
You're not going to find a 175 gas camshaft anywhere. Even if you did, you'd need a different oil pump or oil pump drive gear and a different camshaft gear on the nose of the cam. Send a good WC-WD cam ( one that fits your engine-make sure you know which gear you have on the nose) to Berry Cams in Lester Prarie, Minnesota and they will regrind it for you to 175 specs.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 5:46pm
dr. allis sent a true 175 core with a soft lobe for a pattern to berry cams if i remember correctly. he may post to correct or reaffirm in a little while.
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 2:22pm
was looking for 175 cams to put into the ol wd this winter but couldnt find anything, where do you get them, all ready looked at the sources on this website
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic