This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What was this tool used for? Is it a Knife

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What was this tool used for? Is it a Knife
    Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 7:06pm

Can someone help me identify this tool or Knife...what was it used for? I found this hidden on a beam in the old Black Smith Shop that my uncle aquired. It looks like it was forged/made by a Black Smith.

Sponsored Links

Reeseholler View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reeseholler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 7:07pm
Kinda looks like some sort of dinner knife. If not that, my guess would be that it looks like it has a twist to it to be pounded into something to separate two pieces or break something up. 
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 7:08pm
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 7:09pm
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 7:11pm
I was wondering if it didn't attach to the bottom of a rifle? it has a very sharp blade on both sides.
Jim
Jacob (WI,ND) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob (WI,ND) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 8:15pm
No idea, but has the makings of an awesome letter opener...
Jacob Swanson
1920 6-12; 1925,1926 20-35 longfenders; 1925,1926 15-25's; 1927,1929 20-35 shortfenders; C; B's; IB; WC's; WD; WD45
chllngr528 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chllngr528 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 8:29pm
Its not a bayonet. Not any kind I am familiar with anyways. Did you clean it up or is that how you found it?
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 8:43pm
That blacksmith was an early day advenger with his martial art weapons hidden away securly from his enemies but easily accessible in time of need.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 8:54pm
Is it a parting tool? I have seen a TV show that a hole was made by driving a tool like this into red hot steel. Maybe?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chllngr528 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

That blacksmith was an early day advenger with his martial art weapons hidden away securly from his enemies but easily accessible in time of need.
Thats it!!! The blacksmith must have been one of the last of the rare canadian ninjas.
donslick72@gmail.com View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donslick72@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 9:14pm
Looks like a tape measure. I'm surprised nobody beat me to that one. Don
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chllngr528 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 9:15pm
It may be a unfinshed knife. I know nothing about blacksmithing but I will ask a buddy of mine tomorrow. He runs the blacksmith shop at the antique equipment show we have here.
Reeseholler View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reeseholler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 9:46pm
I had thought an unfinished knife but that round end puzzles me. It's not flat enough to look like it would be used with a hammer. 
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 11:10pm
Thanks for the feed back! yes it would make quite the letter opener thats for sure. Be for they knocked down the building to clean up the site I went over the building once more and found it on top of a beam. It was all rusty when I found it. After a little clean up on the wire wheel I amazed at how it looked.

Would it have been a tool the Black Smith used to clean out the horses hoves during the shoeing process and maybe hung from his belt?

No one around this area can figure it out either?

Jim
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 12:30am
lightning rod??
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 10:03am
i have a few of those, but like on the left end of your pic, it's about an 1/8th in thick, used for cleaning out keyways on shafts.
Pa.Pete View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pa.Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 1:15pm
It looks like a railroad spike that he made into a knife.
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 1:55pm
Well its still a mystery..its not a railway spike both sides of the blade are razor sharp! I guess back 1860's Black Smith's were into making weapons!

Jim
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 4:29pm
Thing is, a blacksmith with forge and anvil with hammer had the capability of shaping iron or steel into ANYTHING he wanted, even if he only needed it once. He didn't have to order it he just made it. Might have been for use cleaning out a hoof, though those usually were curved to scoop better, might have been the beginnings of a letter opener, a gillet slicer (e.g. fighting knife), might not have been completed. Might have had a wooden handle that rotted away to compliment the rounded end. Might have been used to split kindling with the rounded end available for bashing with a hammer or hatchet. Very likely there was never anything printed about the design and what you have is the only one ever made.

Gerald J.
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 4:31pm

Thanks Gerald, probably right will never know exactly what is was hhe made and they were creative. I also have a feeling there was a wooden handle on it at one tiime.

Thanks for the comments!
Jim
Pa.Pete View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pa.Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Zyta Zyta wrote:

Well its still a mystery..its not a railway spike both sides of the blade are razor sharp! I guess back 1860's Black Smith's were into making weapons!

Jim
Like someone else said a good blacksmith could make just about anything.
I also read that the old spikes were made with high carbon steel and made good knives like this one.
realolman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realolman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 6:42pm
what strikes me about it is that it looks brand new and doesn't seem to have a single rust pit on it.  looks like it was just made this morning
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 6:58pm
I also think it started out as a railroad spike.  Then the blacksmith needed a piecing tool for some project and just made it.  Perhaps for putting a slit into leather or a piece of hot steel.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 8:58pm
I worked on the railroad for 34 yrs and it's not rail spike, but it looks more like it could be a crossing spike thats been made into a knife.
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 9:38pm
Timber Spike
48AC/WD View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48AC/WD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 9:28am
It may be either a timber spike or it could be used to clean hooves and trim before re-shoeing a horse, it also could have been used to cut soft metals out of the forge (like brass, bronze, copper, tin,) ect...
jjrosty View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrosty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 10:01am
It could be a scribe used to mark the wood beams.  some woodworkers use a knife vs a pencil.  of course blacksmiths would make anything they needed out of necessity
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 1:38pm
Yes it does look good now! when I found it it was very rusty and cleaned up well on my bench grinder and polisher. Much better metal used back then!

Well I am going to used it as a letter opener at my home office.

Appreciate everyones imput!

Jim
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 2:16pm
My dad and I have both made custom tools not copying anything made commercially. After while I'll got take a picture of one or two of his out in the machine shed and see if their purpose can be figured out.

Gerald J.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 2:36pm
a custome pieceWell, I failed at that. Didn't find the custom tools I expected from his stuff, but I did get a picture of a piece I made last year. Used for a couple days, probably won't ever use it that way again. But it has a new use.

Gerald J.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic