This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weird thing happened this evening

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weird thing happened this evening
    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 2:39am
LOLLOL
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 11:34pm
yep...any of ya'll ever around ole JC, if a storm brews in, gits the heck away from him!
EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:12pm
Happy to hear you are safe John. I always enjoy your contributions on the forum. Take care!
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 9:56pm
An old employer of mine had a grandfather who would not allow wood from a lightning struck tree in or near his house . That wood done drawn lightning once .
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 7:52pm
The only reason lightning doesn't strike the same place more that once is that usually there is nothing left to strike the second time.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 6:49pm
When I can hear it sizzle as it cuts through the air it's time to pucker up.
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 6:35pm
When I was a young boy on the farm, lightning hit a big elm tree about 100 yards from the house and at that same instant fire shot out of the water faucet about a foot in the pantry.  Couple years later lightning hit the neighbors barn and burned it to the ground.  Fire spread so fast he couldn`t get in to rescue the only steer in it.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 4:27pm
Wink John why did you have to tell me,Cry it really can get the same spot Ouch more than once. Don't get much ligthing out here, but on several occasions it has really cut loose.

The first time remember I was real small,hit a big old oak 130 yards from the house. Some time later that is where my dad decided the new house should be built.Wink Always saying it was safe lighting had already hit there.LOLLOLLOL
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 4:57pm
Stay a ways away from Thad. Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 4:34pm
When I was a young’en a neighbor and one son drove out to a field to get another son off the reactor as a storm came in . It struck the second son as he was walking to the truck. That kid was one of my older brothers best friends and was a cousin to my wife. The father and other son have had a hard time with this always.
I was driving through Rogers Arkansas a few years ago. Pouring rain. I was sitting at a stop light when lightning struck a street light pole beside me. It melted the weatherhead right off that pole and aluminum was melting and running down that pole. Made a believer out of me.
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 4:31pm
I cutup a 20"across red oak ( 30' to the first limb ), that had been hit by lighting.
About 1/4 of it fell off in toothpick/chopstick size pieces.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 3:47pm
That could make tree falling very hazardous with the stem all split like that.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 2:00pm
I posted this a couple years ago... happened at a friends place.
https://allischalmers.com/forum/uploads/242/Lightning_strike.jpg
This was what was left of the one Pine tree, Had already done some cleaning up of limbs and debree... and the one next to it had the top blown out of it too.
And when I sawed the stump off, this is how it laid out on the ground ... It had been a solid tree before getting struck. And the wood dried out fast.
https://allischalmers.com/forum/uploads/242/lightning_struck_treetrunk.jpg
The power of a lightning bolt, sure made a good wood splitter. LOL
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 1:19pm
I was telling a friend about the fire when I saw him on Saturday, he told me about an old railroad tie they had for a corner post on their place.  Lightening struck it and blew piecees off it in all directions.  They planed on replacing the post but hadn't done it yet when it got hit again and blew even more of it apart.  Proves lightening can strike the same place twice.
I read somewhere on the internet, (so you know it had to be true), about a lawyer in Texas who was in a metal boat in a lake when a storm started.  He stood up with his arms in the air and yelled "Take me Lord!"  His request was granted.  I believe alcohol was involved...
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 12:12pm
Spoke of this to friends, they spend a lot of time camping 4 wheeling in and around Tin Cup CO. follow the Alpine Tunnel roadbed and play up there. Said had seen what looked to be fire spots on the rocky slopes but seemed odd as no pit or bowl and well above tree line. Turns out are Lightning strike points and they up there playing around them when T-storms rolled thru!! They mind their places and watch weather a LOT closer now.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 11:48am
Farming is not for the faint of heart Exclamation
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 11:16am
Yea, lightning is powerful. Have seen it's awesomeness many times...
DJ's comment reminded me of the time watching the north forty and lightning hit the tree that was out in the middle of it between two fields. Blew chunks of wood and bark almost all the way to the west fenceline. over 600 feet... and in the same storm it burnt a hole into the ground about 12 feet around...and made a divit there about half foot deep.
 Then one of the cottonwood trees got hit that was by the house and blasted a 30" limb off the tree nearly missing the old porch roof... to close.
 Then there was a time finding 5 heifers dead under a tree after a storm, that wasn't pretty. Dad said if your going to stand under a tree, do not pick the tallest one but the shortest one and let the tall one be the lightning rod...
  and there was a time when I was milking cows and it was just pouring rain out and all of a sudden the cows got jittery and static in the air in the barn and there was a 'Kasnick' and everything outside lit up bright and the barn rumbled and BANG! almost all at the same time... Good thing we had lightning rods on the roof and the old copper cable still grounded. 
  and yet another time  done with chores and went green chopping for the cows and 1/2 mile away from the buildings I was chopping with the old D17 diesel and had 2/3 of a load on when black clouds rolled in and started boomin and banging and raining hard. I jumped off the tractor and went under the wagon thinking the hay would shed the rain some. and laid on the reach under there and hoped the lightnin wouldn't hit the outfit... the lightnin was awful close. There were times I couldn't hear the tractor running. after it passed, there was water standing everywhere. Finishe the load and hauled the wagon home to the moos.
 Nuther time Watched lightning hit an old maple and sure enough, it caught fire, was hollow inside. Went up and looked then went home and got two 10 gallon milk cans and went back with a ladder and went up the tree and doused the flames.
 And another time there was an old fence that ran through an old swamp and pasture that had not been used for several years and lightning hit the fence and there was fire all along it. Made for easy seeing the fencline...but that burnt a few acres.
  and the most memorable ...
I use to rent a field  (until it changed hands), and was down there cultivating beans and got the feeling when I was 2/3rds done on the last field, looked up and thought I should go home... and that urge got harder and harder... I had about four rounds left on the west edge of the field when dark clouds came rolling in. Already rolling in 6th gear trying to finish the field and it started raining pretty hard and I still had two passes left and then I was down to one and lightning cracking all over. This ground had clay in it and water started running down between the rows ahead of the wheels and tractor started slippin and sliding on that crap and behind the cultivator dust was rolling up. Spun my way up the next knob and slid down the other side and we had standing water at the end of the field... Kicked the 45-20 into seventh and headed out to the road. Had thought about stopping under a tree down by the road but I was already totally soaked so... 8th gear and headed home the 3 miles. Dang cold rain. But that was alright, cuzz the field was finished and didn't need to go back. I remember that day real well, after I let there, the tree I had thought about parking under got hit and blew a good limb down out of it and across the driveway. LOL 
   Well, while I was writing this, the phone just rang and it is an early severe weather warning. 55- 65 MPH wind with 1/4" size hail could be possible.
 We already had a bunch of rain and lightning this morning and now watching a cloud bank coming at us at 55 mph and lightning flashing out of these clouds and loud rumblings too... So I will see how this plays out. should be over by noon.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 6:26am

I remember years ago,, there was a huge lightning storm went thru the town and one of the re,markable things was it hit a big elm tree by the Jr High school, blew the top 10 feet off and then it made a path bout 1" wide along the side of the trunk all the way to the ground,,,,,,and then went under a paved street and came back out in the wiring of a house plumb across the street!!!  The dude sleepin was woke when all the electrical outlets starting shootin sparks and he left house out into the storm,,!!! Lucky it did not burn the house down. You could still see the scar on the trunk of the tree a few years ago,,I went to go look,,,,,whew,,,
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 2:27am
years ago...there was a dude jogging on a trail thru Omaha, he was hit by lightening strike, but the storm was about 25 miles away at the time. so we know now that it can travel a long ways and get you any way! there wasn't a cloud in the sky where he was.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 11:48pm
I saw the hay owner today, he had no idea what happened to his two 16x18 bales until I told him about the excitement the night before.  Some guys think I'm a wimp when I shut down an operation when lightening is near, I would rather pay people to sit around safely then take a chance of someone, especially me, getting hurt.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 9:35pm
Glad you’re ok there John. That lightning is some powerful stuff!
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 9:10pm
I've had lightning hit within 20 yards of me at least 3 times in my life. It's TOO close when you can taste tinfoil in your mouth, your hair stands up and you are blinded by the light and deafened by the crack ALL at the same time.
 Dad got hit on the top of his head (the little beanie thingy on the top of his cap was metal) once, and said he had no idea how long he stood there, because he was just waiting to fall over cause he KNEW he was dead . He found out later the neighbor about a half mile away was cultivating with a steel wheeled cultivator and a team of horses.
 He got hit, maybe the same bolt, drove the horses to the barn, went in the house, took his jeans off and crawled into bed. When he woke up, he had no recollection of anything after the lightning strike.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 8:52pm
John, glad you were not hurt and the only damage was to a couple of bales of hay. Fire in those big round bales can not be extinguished by just spraying water on them, you have to break them apart or just move them away from the other hay and let them burn.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 7:47pm
45 yrs. ago or so I was trying to finish a shake  roof with a storm approaching. My son was pretty small  and was sitting up there with me. A bolt hit not too far away and I watched his hair stand up. Needless to say we were off the roof in mere seconds.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 5:37pm
Many years ago, about 5 miles from my place, a farmer was wheeling a hand barrow across a field when lightning struck him. His family later found him where he fell. Nobody knew what chore he was doing with the barrow, but it sure was his last. RIP Frank.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 7:56am
Wet as has been there is Defined fear of spontaneous fires, Guys are leaving bales out and scattered just in case here.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 7:52am
Rushing to finish baleing before a storm. I was stacking on the wagon when I got this funny feeling that my hair wanted to stand up and I had a hat on! Just then a big bolt of lightning flashed across the sky. Finished the windrow and got to the barn before the rain. That was many years ago but I still remember that feeling! I know of 2 men who were struck by lightning and lived. To this day they get awfully nervous when a storm is brewing!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 3:43am
 GOOD MORNING,,Good Buddy,,,,!!!!!ClapClap
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 3:28am
my rule of thumb was...if I saw lightening anywhere from my tractor cab, I quit for the day. had many near misses from lightening while in the fields. glad it didn't get you!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 12:01am
I drove my tractor and baler back to the farm after doing some hay for a neighbor.  Just as I was backing the baler into the shed there was a big and I mean BIG lightening burst near by.  I was almost afraid to walk to my pickup 30 feet away.  I head out the farm drive and see what looks like a big bon fire across the road from my place.  My neighbor was baling earlier in the day but had quit for the evening, it was past 8:30.  Anyway I come around the corner and see a couple bales of hay on fire.  Some kids were knocking down the fire with shovels and all I had was a rake.  The wind was blowing maybe 40 MPH but then it started to rain.  The fire dept finally showed up but by then the two bales were ashes and the ground was wet enough to not burn.  Only thing I can figure is the lightening struck the one bale and started it burning and the wind drove the fire to the next bale.  I'd forgotten my phone in the tractor so drove back to get it and tried to call the owner but couldn't get through.  He'll have a question or two tomorrow morning when he comes back to finish baling!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic