This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wd-45 starter woes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wd-45 starter woes
    Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 1:36pm
I started my WD-45. Didn't let it warm up enough and it quit. Pulled the starter rod and heard a faint electric buzz then nothing. I am 6v. Pulled the starter, brought it home. I pulled it apart and cleaned everything up, checked for shorts, replaced the nose bushing(because I had it) and replaced the brushes. The old brushes didn't seem real bad. Bench tested with a 12v battery and it spun like a new starter. Put it back in the tractor and nothing. I pulled it and tried jumping with the 6v battery and still nothing. Not even spark when I touched the lug. The battery is good. Took it apart again and did what I did the first time and nothing. Bench tested it off my truck and again spun great. The only thing I did was replace the brushes. What am I missing? Thanks Mike.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Sponsored Links

sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 1:52pm
Try a close inspection of the cables and check closely the ground circuit. Good luck.
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
KMAG View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by sparky sparky wrote:

Try a close inspection of the cables and check closely the ground circuit. Good luck.

I agree.

Look for bad connection between starter case and bellhousing. Your bench testing ruled out starter as problem.

Even if you got polarity backwards, the starter would spin.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 3:44pm
YEP....90% of the time its the cables... especially on a 6v system... Got to be REAL CLEAN at every joint... not just the starter, remove the cables at the BATTERY and wire brush the inside of clamp and the battery posts.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 3:58pm
I just tested it off of another 6v battery. It didn't spin right off or spark. I twisted the + clamp on the battery and it worked. Man I have replaced the cables with heavy ones, polished the mounting bolt and the hole it goes through. Wire brushed the nose and mounting surface so I really thought I had the grounding deal covered. Guess  maybe not. Thought about grounding the starter separate. Wish I would have now. Thanks for all the help. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 4:17pm
I have a 12 v battery that i jump back and forth between a "B" with a mower deck and a "B" with a sickle mower... Use each once a month during the summer... I tend to get a BLACK THIN COATING on the lead battery clamp and the battery post once or twice a year.. I have a round wire brush to go inside the clamp and sand the battery post with 60 grit sand paper... The BLACK is so thin , it is not corrosion, and dont look bad.. but it is SOMETHING that forms on the post as an insulator.... have done the same TWISTING of the cable to prove it..

--------------

OK, i GOOGLED IT...... not every tractor / truck i have does this... but i dont SWITCH batterys or let them set for long periods of time..

-------------------
The black colored surface on the battery terminal is caused when a battery releases hydrogen as it charges and discharges. This creates a lead oxide that will eventually build up enough to create a low current path to ground that may eventually cause it not to transmit power properly.Nov 28, 2016

Edited by steve(ill) - 27 Oct 2022 at 4:22pm
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 7:18am
I have a used working starter. $100. Heading your way Sunday.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 7:29am
Thanks for sharing this Steve. My D 15 battery cable turned black and I was wondering why. Thanks again
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 8:13am
Lon I'm convinced my starter is good. I think my - ground needs some attention. But thanks for the offer. I was just up at the cabin. I won't be back by the tractor for a couple of weeks. I will let all know what happens. If anyone needs parts from you I can bring them this far if possible. Have you heard anything from Ted? 

Edited by mdm1 - 28 Oct 2022 at 8:15am
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 9:53pm
If you still have the original generator, I'd turn it up so it is putting out at least 12.5 volts, put a ,12 volt battery in it and go. I did this to my 45 back in the 1970's. I did nothing else to the starter. I did get rid of the cut out and put a 12 volt voltage regulator on it. I cannot remember a time it had a starter problem.
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 8:03am
Mike, I have not heard anything from Ted. I am headed to Wausau Sunday. Stay in touch.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 8:56am
One of the biggest problems that arises with these old Starter systems is the mechanical switch that puts current to the Starter. They are worst than bad Battery cables. The original switches weren't to bad, but still there's a huge voltage drop right there at the switch. After time, the contacts get burned up in the switch, current flow is lost and low voltage to the Starter motor eventually starts to take the Armature out which is the heart of the Starter motor for torque. With 6 volts there is more amperage so it accelerates the process. As time progressed and these switches were offered in the aftermarket, (and made cheaper) it increased the issue at the switch. The best improvement to do is eliminate the switch and install a solenoid to do the switching.

Grounds are very important especially to the 6V system and shouldn't be overlooked, but the Starter rod concept with the switch is a very poor design. Sorta goes along with the pinch bolt design of holding the Starter motor in the bellhousing. All the weight of the Starter is at the rear and one pinch bolt with a point on it is holding it in.

Six volt Batteries only have 3 cells to vent with, so these Batteries will sweat through the posts. Rule of thumb for 6V Batteries is a couple times a year to clean off the Battery post with a carving type of post cleaner. This carves off the top layer of acidic lead to give a better contact between post and terminal. Do the same to the terminal and you'll be good to go. Cables should be inspected every year also because that acid can travel up the into the cable and corrosion starts which interferes with current draw. A good way to check cables is to cut back about a 1/2" of jacket and see if you see any Green corrosion in the cable. If so, time for a new cable(s) Its always good to replace both cables at the same time ...
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 7:41pm
I did get back up to my tractor today. I promised I would report what happened. Cleaned all the battery connections and the battery posts. Hooked everything back up and nothing. Looked again and the idiot put the switch on backwards! Don't know how I've made it this long. Turned on the key and pulled the rod, started better then I think it ever had.  I looked at the ground to start but figured it had just started so it must be ok. Lesson learned-check all the normal stuff first. I should have know. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 8:35pm
 Looked again and the idiot put the switch on backwards! Don't know how I've made it this long. 

NOW THATS FUNNY !!!  Clap
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 10:09pm
S**t happens!  Doesn't get any better as you get older neither......!   LOL!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by mdm1 mdm1 wrote:

I did get back up to my tractor today. I promised I would report what happened. Cleaned all the battery connections and the battery posts. Hooked everything back up and nothing. Looked again and the idiot put the switch on backwards! Don't know how I've made it this long. Turned on the key and pulled the rod, started better then I think it ever had.  I looked at the ground to start but figured it had just started so it must be ok. Lesson learned-check all the normal stuff first. I should have know. 

Don't feel bad! Sounds like something I would do!
Mike
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic