This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unstyled WC value

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unstyled WC value
    Posted: 06 May 2024 at 10:08pm
I usually try to go about these kinds of deals from the perspective of "what are the good parts worth?" Decent looking rims? Fenders? Hood, radiator, gas tank? Rest of tractor is probably worth about scrap weight? If you really like the seller (friend, neighbor, uncle, whatever), roughly sum the values of the above.

At least around here, there aren't a lot of guys who want a good old non-hydraulics WC, so you can pour a bunch of money into one with paint and and engine rebuild, and it seems like you'll be lucky to get $1500 for the tractor after you spent $4-5K on everything it needed.

Exceptions are the oddballs - very early production years, etc. that will be worth a little more.

It sounds like maybe $5-600 if the tinwork is in very nice shape. If not, scrap price.

This all being said - I look forward to buying an unstyled WC one day just because I think they're neat, and cheap. Just not a priority right now as I need to be fixing up other AC tractors with hydraulics, live PTO, etc.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Sponsored Links

orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 9:58am
WF Owner- FWIW - WC spoke rim bought in upstate NY - $750 not running.  It needed front rims, one rocker broken and the spare gas fuel tank -yes the engine in it has a K designation.  So started on gas and switched to kero or tractor fuel, otherwise complete but needs much TLC.  Am of the opinion now that I overpaid for the tractor, as in not much demand for them.  Could be useful to pull a manure wagon converted to carry firewood and keep the shop nice and cozy during our long winters. ~ HTH's Orangeman
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 6:52am
If you want a WC, fine go for it. If your looking to resell it, I've come to the conclusion That as a general rule what you can get for scrap is about all they are worth, as you'll be a long time finding a buyer. I know of a few near me that have been for sale for years and could be brought for less than $500 that run. I had a bunch of unstyled WC parts that I had trouble giving away. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 9:02pm
So many variables let alone where you are because location tends to have an impact. Around here I have seen a couple at consignment with decent paint and running go for $600. I have one in the chicken house that Grandpa used that has not run in I don't know how long, rough tin, might be stuck, and tires and rims are junk. Scrap metal price at best. Really, it all depends on what you are willing to give for it and any restoration will likely cost more than it will ever be worth. Your call and good luck.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 7:51pm
A little background.

A guy that was my neighbor and 4-H leader (about 55 years ago) had an unstyled WC. I first saw when we were learning about judging dairy cows when I was in 4-H. It was sitting inside a garage, and it appeared at that time that it hadn't been run in quite a while.

He passed away a few years ago and I asked his brother-in-law about the tractor. He told me that, to this knowledge, it was still sitting in the same place. I sent his daughter a Facebook message, asking her if it was still there and if it was for sale. She responded that it was still there and, if and when they decided to sell it, they would let me know.

I just got a Facebook message from her that they are ready to sell it. I am hoping to take a look at it soon.

I want to be fair to her and to me. I have no idea if the engine turns over or anything about it. As I said, the last time I saw it was around 55 years ago. 

I know just rebuilding the engine will cost about somewhere in the $2000 - $3000 range (which is more than the tractor is worth). What do you think would be a fair offer? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic