This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tomorrow will be something different

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tomorrow will be something different
    Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 7:37am
I start punching a time clock again in the morning, for the first time in almost 18 years. Farming operation is down to about "hobby farm" status, even though 50 years ago, it would have been considered a "large farm". Lost a whole section of land this year, that was a stone's throw from my house. I had been renting it for about the last 8 years from an elderly couple. Husband died about 5 years ago, and his wife continued to rent to me. She passed away last year, right after I signed the lease for 2017 crop year, so I still had it last year. Kids decided to sell it. I would have had to borrow the money to buy it, and just interest alone would have been four times as much as I was paying for cash rent. I am not bitter over it. It's just another sign of the times. Both of the highest two bidders came and talked to me first, and would have bowed out of the bidding if I would have been in, so that was very respectable of them.
     My 20 year old son has farming and cattle heavy on his mind, so he'll be here to do most of the work. I'll hopefully be able to guide him through it when I'm at home. My job will have me reporting to work at an ag chemical warehouse over at Dickinson, and then driving delivery truck, delivering ag chemicals all over SW ND. Can be home every night. Be working half to three fourths of a day on Saturdays during busy time. Job only runs from now, until through the fall when things in the farming world come to a screeching halt. That is good and bad, but more good than bad, I guess. Good is that I don't have to drive truck on crappy roads during the winter. Another good, is that my son also works for a veterinarian part time, and he can get time off while I work the summer months, then pick up lots of hours over the winter when I'm off. I wish it could be the other way around, because I prefer farming over cattle, and he prefers cattle over farming, but I guess that between the two of us, we'll get er done. I had to get the haz mat endorsement on my CDL. I am not thrilled about hauling chemicals, but all in all, this job is a pretty good fit for me. Won't be able to check in on here several times a day like I'm used to doing, but going to try to schedule it in early every morning. LOL!
      I suppose that it will turn out that this job will either get me over the hump, or be the final nail in my coffin, but I have to try something different. I am not keen on the notion, but I know that in order to ever get back to being able to do "just farming/ranching" for a living, our operation will have to grow significantly. That writing is on the wall. 18 years ago, when I moved down here to this farm (it's my in-law's home place), I already knew that growth was in-evitable, but my FIL and BIL were so "anti-big farmer", that they would do everything the old ways out of defiance. That worked in the "old days", but not in the present. FIL pretty much fully re-tired 6 to 8 years ago, and passed away a year and a half ago. I split ties with my BIL about six years ago, and went on my own. Was definitely a good thing to do, just a little too late. I still talk to him; my wife doesn't (it's her brother).
      I guess that's enough rambling on and on. I'll try not to be a stranger on here, and keep in touch with all of you "great guys" here on the forum. Darrel
Sponsored Links

fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 8:37am
Things have a way of working out. You get what you need when you need it.
Best of luck to you.
You always have the guys here to give you a bunch of crap
if whether need it or not.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 8:50am
Good luck in your new job! Your route and deliveries will allow you to meet more folks and maybe open some new doors!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 01 Apr 2018 at 8:53am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:04am
I've always contended that, "every thing happens for a reason". I am keeping a strong hold on my faith that I am going down this road for a reason. darrel
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:21am
If you have a smart phone,you'll find yourself checking in throughout the day.....
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:34am
Darrel, I was always a manager and never punched a clock but the last year and a half I have.  I am semi retired but I got a call from an old manager of mine and went back full time for only two more years.  Didn't really want to but I love the job and best if all I just come in and do my job and not worry about what everyone else is doing. You will mee3t new friends an open new doors.. I am with you on God has a plan for us.  He never gives us more than we can handle.  Best of luck  Wayne 
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 10:59am

Well,,Darrel,,,GOOD LUCK to you in your new job,,My Friend,,, I know you'll do well, cause you always seem to have a positive outlook on your responsibilities.
I'm still lookin forward to when we finally meet up as the wife got a call that her Mother is not doing too well,,she is 85,,and looks like we be goin up that way. Just hopin she be OK till the last snow flies this year.
Just think,,tho,,you'll be able to scour all thet BIG country and look me for all them car and trk parts,,,,
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 11:22am
Yea ,, Darrel,, I feel your pain,,, I been doing the trucking to pay the bills and it leaves enough left over for me to "hobby" farm,, I get to play with tractors and equipment some,being that I'm an O/O, that makes me the 'boss' , so I can go to farm auctions, or get some farm work done when it needs to be done,.. Yes, I would have liked to get bigger farming, but when you run a shoestring budget, its almost impossible to figure out how to finance more land, I don't have any for a large up front payment, so all would have to be financed against what I own now,, so one little hiccup and its all gone,,,current commodity prices vs current land asking prices here just don't pencil out very good,, gotta have a BIG pocket of money win lottery, etc,,
so,,, I wish you best of luck at your new ventures..
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 11:30am
Good luck Darrel!
The Consultator View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Consultator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 11:53am
Darrel, God has a plan for you. I know it can be difficult at times such as these, but have faith. I'm sure you will do well in your new job, and you are correct that you and your son will make it happen. Happy Easter to you, and everyone else!
1939 Allis-Chalmers "B" restored in 2010- very good condition.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 2:19pm
Darrel buddy, I wish you well in your new endeavor.  I'd HATE to go back to punching a clock, but if you have to.....Dead
Yup, keep the faith and God's will be done.   He'll see you through with His plan for you. Clap

Does this mean you won't be coming to Hutch this year?  I've already got my grease gun batteries all charged up!! LOL
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 2:33pm
Darrel, I wish you the best on your new endeavor. Punching a clock after 18 years will be quite a change. Trust in God and follow His plan, when He closes one door it is because He wants to open a better one for you.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 7:24pm
You'll make it Darrel. God never lets his children suffer more than they can handle. He loves you and desires only the best for you. It's just we sometimes don't see the Big Picture that shows God's plan for our lives.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Cernunnos View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cernunnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 7:54pm
On the bright side Darrel, you will be driving over some of the most beautiful country, not only in only in the state but the whole USA.  Be sure to turn that fact into a positive. Plus meet some of the nicest people around.
1951 CA, 1952 CA with cultivator, 20 Series 8' disc harrow, 2 bottom pick-up plow, forage blower, 2-row rear mounted drill corn planter, Allcrop grain drill, No. 80T sickle mower, MN No. 130 barge box
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:48pm
Yeah, it's going to be a big change in your life but as others have already said, you will have new adventures and hopefully be successful at what ever you end up doing after this summer.  I'm down to less then 100 acres and making nearly as much as when I had a lot more.  Marketing directly to the consumers is great (most of the time).  BTW, it's not anything illegal that I grow.  Pumpkins and fruit.  Take care out on the highway and remember, shiny side up!

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Sherman Farms View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherman Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:59pm
Best of luck, hope it all goes your way.
B, C, RC, 3 wc,2 wd,3 wd45, d15, d17, d19, d21, 190, 440, 7040, 918 backhoe, 12 roto balers, 7 60 combines, 40, 66,2 72,90 super, sp100, Gleaner E, F3, 3 L2, R62, and much more
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 10:05pm
I too wish you the best. And can say the Lord has always provided. Many times I didn't know what I was going to be doing next season. I too have had some doors closing and need to spend more time seeking the way to go forward.

Also hard to turn control of things over to the next generation. Hope things go smooth on that front as well.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 7:14am
Good luck Darrell.  Sounds like kind of a bummer, but also a good opportunity. 
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 7:33am
Good luck and best wishes with the new job.  Change is sometimes scary but in a couple of months it will be a piece of cake.  Thumbs UpThumbs Up
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 10:41am
It's amazing that people say; " Oh I can't find a job", and here you already have one. Hope it works out well, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.   Leon
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 1:55pm
Best of luck in your new job, take care of that knee and keep your faith in the Lord.
Tom
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 4:59pm
Lot of truth to what these guys are saying.  It's hard for us to relinquish the reins to the "younger generation".  We had to work SO hard to get where we are and what we have.  But, sooner or later we have to trust in our kids, hoping that we raised em right and they will go forward and make us proud.
Yes, it's hard,,,,,,,,,but then isn't EVERY day?  Just seems like nothing gets any easier.
Trust in God and your family,,,, it'll all come out in the wash...
"Allis-Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 8:43pm
Well, I made it through first day of work. Can't say as though I enjoyed it; but I tolerated it. Do have some nice people to work with. There isn't any chemical going out yet, so was just working in the warehouse, and walking all day on that concrete absolutely killed my bum knee. And I sure would like to know what ever happened to the day when you went to work for someone on a handshake. I have never filled out so much paperwork in my life as what I had to fill out to get this job. Stopped by Trade Home Shoes and got a new pair of work boots after work tonight. I think that they will help my feet and knee out a lot. Thanks for all the support and well wishes! Darrel
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 10:30pm
Good luck on the job. I been on concrete for 39 years. It is hard on a person. Hope the job gets better. I have learned you work with or for an ahole, just about any where or any job!
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 2:40pm
The concrete is why I had to quite my job a Lowe's it was getting to my feet and legs
Tom
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 4:08pm
Well Darrel I wish you and your son the best, might be real good way to start the son off as you will be not too close but not too far away either. God is good all the time !!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 7:10pm
Day two: Lots of learning. More learning than one old brain is capable of. Everything from company policies and procedures, to safety. My knee sure did appreciate being off of it for the day, though. I think I need a secretary to ride around in the truck with me just to do the paperwork. Darrel
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 10:36pm
OH SURE,,,,,,and it HAS TO BE A SHE.....
If you'd a told em you were a 'dreamer', you wouldn't have had to do ANY paper work.  (I have that on good authority,,,,,(right DJ?)
It's ALL about being a WORKING AMERICAN......uh,,,,,,,I'm outta here on that one,,,,,wrong section...and after the way the liberal retards voted today here in WI.....l'M ASHAMED...
"Allis-Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 6:49am
Well, I got to "sleep on" everything I learned yesterday, and this morning I decided that I don't think it'll be that bad. And besides, with my wife being an ER nurse, if I told her I had "a lot of paper work", she's probably hit me. Guess her "paper work" is actually "computer work", but same difference. I think that for every hour she spends treating a patient, she probably spends two hours charting it on the puter, thanks to Obama care. Darrel
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 9:27am
That's the second true thing I've heard this morning Darrel.
The first thing was from my neighbor; "WOW this chit is HEAVY!"  We got 8" of real wet 'pretty'.
Glad it's getting better for you.  Remember, there's a world of difference between a job and work....
"Allis-Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic