This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stuck Track Link

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuck Track Link
    Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 10:32pm
I need ideas!
My HD6G has 3 stuck links on the left side. I've been soaking them with oil and no success.
Today I drove approx. 4 miles down the edge of the gravel road on frozen ground. Niegbhor needed an old house taken down, FUN!  I thought forsure that would do it. Nope, still stuck. Makes for a rough ride.
The dozer sat for 5 years before I got it. any chance these will ever free up?
Sponsored Links

Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 3:00pm
If the link won't move at all, chances are they will not free up.  I had an HD11 a few years ago with two frozen pins- I put 200 hours on it before I conceded that those pins weren't going to move.  I cut the pins out with a cutting torch and installed master pins.  I burnt up a tip doing it, but it worked out OK- I had to cut completely through the pins before they would move.  I ground the end of the master pins so as not to confuse the situation if the track needs to be split later.  I've heard of guys using a piercing or cut rod on an arc welder to gouge the pins too, but have never tried it myself.  I always pierce both ends of the master pin with a cutting torch when I split a track, though, just past the depth of the press fit.  The pin then contracts, and I can easily drive it out by myself, with a small sledge.  I figure a new 40 dollar master pin is much preferred to much sweat and grumbling.
There was an interesting post on this forum last year about soaking the track in water to free it up- I'm not sure how that would work, the theory being that water will soak into places that oil won't.
It is downright annoying operating a machine with frozen links on hard ground!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 4:16pm
Would be worth trying heating the bushing and seeing of you can get wax into it as it cools. Or heating the bushing then using blows from BFH onto the bushing. 
 Other way is removing the pin but how to do that without destroying the bushing is another problem.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Jay Tyrrell View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 7:20pm
After thinking about this, Let's make sure I got this right.
We have a:
Pin
Two out side links (press fit to pin)
Two inside links (slip fit to pin or bushing?)
One Bushing (contacts drive gear)

Are the inside links and the bushing one?, and their stuck to the pin? Right?
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 11:46pm
The pin is pressed into one end of the link, it holds the preceding link to it's own link by passing through the bushing that is press fit into that link. The ends of the bushing protrude from the link and go into a recess in the link ahead of it to hold alignment. 
 So the link is wider at the point where pin is press fit and narrower where bushing is pressed - so the interlock. The 4 bolts in the track pad are sized to hold link into locked position so as to not allow any movement of the two links which form one section of track.
 All track links and bushings are the same size and all bushings protrude from  narrow end of link to lock into other link . All except the master pin and bushing in which the master bushing is shorter and requires spacer washers to take up amount the bushing is shorter. Shim washers are used to make sure the right protrusion is maintained.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 7:38pm
Coke, you always make the complex simple.
I might try the heat trick and a BFH on the stuck links and see what happens.
Tore down a old house next door last weekend. Thought you might like some pictures.
Sure was glad the worn shifter lever didn't pop out!

Edited by Jay Tyrrell - 26 Nov 2012 at 7:39pm
MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 9:15pm
Looks like you had a grand old time Jay.
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 4 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 4:46am
You could use more tension adjustement on that track and this could help to free the the 3 links
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 9:24pm
I did have fun. Little scary though, it was a 2 story, i was glad when it was down. I may think bout puttin a cage on.
As far as the tracks Gem, they were tight when i left home. I will retighten them, maybe the links are comin free!

Edited by Jay Tyrrell - 27 Nov 2012 at 9:29pm
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 2:38am
Not sure how you'd do this with links, but a farming friend swears by white vinegar for rust stuck problems
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 10:44am
hey jay here a pic of my dad knocking down a brick building with a 6g i wouldnt touch it without having a trackhoe but thats what he had and had to make a living when the dirt sales were down.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 9:13pm
I saw this picture before and assumed their was a crane and a wrecking ball used somewhere along the line. Your Dad has my respect if he did all that with his G!
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 8:28am
there was no crane as a mater of fact after this job was over to tore down a old gas station and was lifting on a concrete beam and it broke lose and slide down the loader arms he bent over and it penned him in the operating compartmet causing the steering chutch leavers to break his breastbone  it was heavy enough when the rescue team got it off it sunk the loader in the ground enough it wouldnt pull out and had to get a wench truck to get it out. dad had a 7gb with a cab on it but the tranny had gone out or the turbo had problems and was being worked on.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 7:53pm
Nasty, I can see how you could get into trouble pretty eazily. I know nocking down the old house I had the rafter tails staring me in the face a couple of times.
Sounds like a big chunk of concrete, How much were the old G's rated to lift?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic