This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rodb mlpankey rivalry why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 9:50am
Seatin here typing with david headrick beside me . But I guess I just cant bring myself to pull a motor like his dad jim built and cousin cotton drove
Sponsored Links

Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 10:07am
[/QUOTE] Yeap I was there pulled in the same class.  It pulls better than the flat top wc built like it with the edelbrock fourbarrel running a little further south than your dads. [/QUOTE]
You should have bought this tractor Pankey.  Still can - then improve on it as you want to.

It could be improved upon (particularly the head & exhaust), we just never had to.

We've been out of the game so long, everybody has forgotten that tractor.  Alot of the tech you mention would be better applied to this platform anyhow.  I'd say you've spent 2x the money and effort on your 4 bangers to play in that class.  I doubt any of you guys love a W-type Allis more than me, but they'll never be a 292-6.  For that matter, neither will any of my flatheads.

Call Pap up, he'll probably deal with ya.  He's all hipped up on building a turbo Super Jet Hudson coupe for the highway and probably wouldn't turn down a decent offer.  Its doing nothing but vegetatin' in the barn - and won't be back out under any of our names.
There isn't much a WC can't do.

WD's just do it better.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Hudsonator Hudsonator wrote:

Thanks for the compliment, Dad is the architect/engineer due any credit - I was just a carb tuner.

The intake is an Offy.  Those 292's are great sleepers ain't they?  No matter the vehicle.

Jack was a case!  A tru-blue Hudson Motor Co. fanatic - which is how I got to talk to him.  I run one of his "cheater" intakes on a  308 powered Hudson Super Six coupe, the intake that got him banned from the NHRA - LOL.

Funny how there is three of us on this forum that have ties to Jack Clifford, Steve (NJ) has rubbed elbows with him too.  Jack isn't that well known in this day and age unless a person has fooled with Hudsons or Chevy 6 poppers,, and there isn't many of us around as you know.

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 10:48am
I made him a offer on it a few years back . if its not stuck offer still stands . did he take the kirby szzle head off it?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 10:54am
Nope, not many of us left.  That's why I run the "cheater" intake.  It ain't the best by any stretch of the imagination - but I get to tell its story at car shows.

What Jack pulled off with Hudsons in the 60's was the equivalent of showing up to a gunfight with a stick - and winning with it.  Pretty remarkable he kept those engines competitive well into the 70's, GM and Ford 6's into and beyond the 80's, and AMC 4.0 engines through the 90's until he died.

WD's just do it better.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 10:58am
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

I made him a offer on it a few years back . if its not stuck offer still stands . did he take the kirby szzle head off it?
It ain't stuck, he cranks it so often just to listen to it.

Nothing's been taken off, still got the Kirby&Sissel head.  Its just not a lump port, which is what could be improved in my opinion.

WD's just do it better.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 11:09am
Talking Chevy 6 poppers and the name Sissel (pank szzel LOL) comes up. You must be talking about Kay Sissel right?  Kay answered the phone out there when I fooled with such things but is gone now. Who is Kirby? 
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 11:17am
Hopefully he takes your offer pank.  That way you won't have to pretend to build them yourself like the Allis engines.  Kinda got busted on that one.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 11:37am
Yep, Kay Sissel.  The head on that tractor is a Sissel head.  This is one of those early 194 heads worked up to suit him.  Mike Kirby came along later and still runs Kay's shop (Sissel's Performance). The two of them came up with the lump port concept (which works fantastic).   The head we've got could be turned into a lump port fairly easy.

Kay was still living when we bought the head, which has his own serial# in it.  He still had the build sheet for it and told us all about it, as if he built it yesterday.  It was orginally built for a drag-only chevy II like yours running a 292.

Its a hellava little engine - I wish somebody was doing something with it.

WD's just do it better.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 4:27pm
rod if i dont build them who does? 
so the head doesnt have the floor of the intake runner brazed into a lump style port?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 5:15pm

so the head doesnt have the floor of the intake runner brazed into a lump style port?
Nope, no lump.  But it has as much of a lump type contour that could be shaped with the parent material.  The bolt boss is gone and alot of work done in the bowls and approaches. Sissel knew what he was doing with what he had, no doubt about that.

The "lumps" can be bought fully shaped to simply weld in.  The advantage of this head is that the additional contouring and material removal to accomodate the pre-formed lump is already done.

WD's just do it better.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Hudsonator Hudsonator wrote:

Nope, no lump.  But it has as much of a lump type contour that could be shaped with the parent material.  The bolt boss is gone and alot of work done in the bowls and approaches. Sissel knew what he was doing with what he had, no doubt about that.

The "lumps" can be bought fully shaped to simply weld in.  The advantage of this head is that the additional contouring and material removal to accomodate the pre-formed lump is already done.

yeah i just cant grasp tlowes bolted in lumps are as good as brazed but seeing would be believing . Cnc dude scott marshal in ringgold brazes them in and sends a bunch to brazill . Jim headrick and the bread man cotton perry  davids is jims son and cottons cousin that i work with could get them running good enough to win the gatornationals

Edited by mlpankey - 08 Jan 2013 at 5:24pm
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 6:18pm
You. Guys argue all you want..........I still think this is ALL interesting!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic