This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rodb mlpankey rivalry why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rodb mlpankey rivalry why?
    Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 10:17pm
I have noticed in several threads that these two almost never agree. i have found myself agreeing with both of their points from time to time. but what is this rivalry about? do you know each other personally or just on the forum. i also think some of us newer members might be wondering what your qualifications are, professional engine builders, mechanics, engineers or weekenders. both of you SEEM to have a wealth of knowledge that some of us could benefit from but the bickering kinda gets in the way. a few good points from each of you then you go off. i've also noticed that wi50 gets dragged into this at times. i'm not trying to make all right in the world or play theropist just don't get it and think that alot of the other members feel the sam way
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
Sponsored Links

R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 10:29pm
Yep, has me wondering too.
In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 11:28pm
There's no rivalry. I teach him what he overlooks and remind him of his lies. Look at cam timeing, he had no idea that useing an offset bushing from a chevy was sensative to it's axis from center untill a few of us explaned it to him.
Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 11:31pm
i've tried to search for that and cant seem to find it
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 11:33pm
Wd45 cam timeing.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 6:05am
MrGoodWrench
I agree completely with your post.

Have definetly seen enough of this childish bickering.

I have been expecting the Moderator to also have had enough and to block the appropriate members from being able to post on the Forum.

He has already posted a warning to them.
Re:  226 head, May 24

Gary

2wise4agm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wise4agm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 7:08am
I just hope we don't lose our pulling forum over those two.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 4:29pm
In order for there to be a rivalry rod would have to be a puller instead of the president of wi fan club. I think those two are a item. Wi says he has been doing it for 15the years but he came on the allis forum and tbe yt pulling forum about two years ago and it seams he copies alot of my post right down to selling 4.185 pistons. Could be quencidenral but seams not

Edited by mlpankey - 03 Nov 2012 at 4:42pm
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 4:38pm
For you to be an expert in pulling you must have some experience in pulling, not just multiple attempts at cobbling something together to see if it will run. 
Yea, I can fix that.....
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 4:43pm
Yeap dave have you seen rod ever pull? I recon everytime a pulling engine breaks wither it has adyno pull and failure or 5 seasons of pulling if it fails it must be cobled.but if it sets in a barn for years it a runner untill it sticks from setting. Alot of us tractor pullers coble things up if using stronger parts from other larger stronger series tractors is what you mean wc wd wd 45 rearends do have their limitation and breaking points as well.

Edited by mlpankey - 03 Nov 2012 at 4:56pm
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 7:58pm
Take it back over to the pulling forum.

Not needed here.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
From listening comes wisdom and from speaking comes repentance.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise.
Carl(NWWI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 10:19pm
Glen, this is the pulling forum...lol
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 10:24pm
i guess they moved the post...also there was a reply by wi50 but its gone too...sorry if i started trouble guys just thought alot of us would like to understand why every good engine post gets hijacked by these two, but they seem to be dodging the questionsand leaving us guessing
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 11:52pm

i found the cam timing thread rod...thanks for the attempted bump...looks like that thread hit a nerve with the moderator

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 7:21am
godowrench,
I deleted that post.  Hope you read it.  I did bring an old topic back up I started last winter.  It's in the farm equipment section, titled Crossbreading.  I asked that the moderators move it over here to the pulling forum.  I had some items around that I had been working on.  Sorry if a lot of the pictures are gone, I had added some and cleaned out my file manager.  Read through it, some neat information and some people acting like a baby......

Now I'll adress pankey's envy as to why I have some cheap 4.185 bore pistons for sale.  See 2 of them are used and 2 of them are new but they came as a set of 8.  I sold 4.  Now it's been proven many times that pank is no math whiz so I'll explain why for a 4 cyl only 2 would be left over as new when originally sold as a set of 8....... they came from a neighbors 6 cyl.  Another forum member here Jermeyroff had them in a 6 cyl engine and I got a bunch of spare parts from him one night for doing a little cylinder head work for a 530 cid IH engine.  He had 6 of the IH truck rods around and I bought a salvage truck engine for a whopping $40 and pulled the rods from it.  Now our resident math whiz can add that 6+6=12 for rods and with 8 pistons why it gives me 2 sets of parts to sell.  If pankey had any memory he would also recall that last winter I had posted some pictures in which he was ranting about and the same parts were there.  I sold one set and the other set for sale is the left over.  The real mystery is what to do with the other 4 rods......

So don't worry about me copying you pank.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you can bore 4 1/8 liners .060 over and use a piston.  If you think it does than I see why you have the problems you do and do not have a working engine.  Those pistons just happened to work out with that rod, simple as that.  Originally Jermey had them in a 301 with a different rod. 

Now pank has mentioned "going all out" and makes more refrences to pushing the limets.  Well if useing Buda rods is going "all out" than we can also see why  he acts the way he does when someone posts pictures of things they have made.  To me useing Buda rods is best suted for low HP applications.  I use them but in small low HP engines for guys pulling in the 3 and 4 mph classes.  I know they won't hold up in anything that has to run fast or make big power.  Look at them, and for those of us with even basic knowledge of physics we would know that the more angle you put on a lever the weaker the lever gets.  Same with a connecting rod, the lesser the rod to stroke ratio is for a given rod, the less load it will support.  That's why I use a stronger rod, or go with a billet one depending on the application.

I'll even adress why I haven't been on the forum untill the last couple years..... I must be the only surviving person in a developed country without an email or facebook account.  In fact I don't even know how to post pictures on the forum here so they stay.  I put them in my file manager and then can post them.  And no one needs to explain any different as I'm not going to figure it out anyway, don't really care that much.  I'll share a few and when they're gone they're gone.  In all the time I saved though not being on the internet forums over the years trying to argue with anyone.   I did build a good business and can now do a lot of what I want.  It's wonderfull not haveing to go to a lunchpail job.  I do enjoy my family and as a hobby I really love working on, building and driving our component alky superstock tractor.  Why for the new guys on the block we got 3rd in state points and are building a complete new engine, fuel system, 3 turbo setup and putting in a lighter Pro-Fab tranny for more moveable weight next season.  There's a lot of tough Grand National tractors in our area like the Lynn's, Peisig, Chizek, Mondovi Mafia and we hope to be able to not look like complete fools when dealing with such a high class of competition.

I'm sorry for pickin on ya pank.  You can pick this post apart all you want.  No one is going to beleve you, they will laugh at you.  I've got lots of things to get to work on now so have your fun and try and belittle others.  Though there are a few people asking to see your  pics and video of you in action, they are even starting to say your full of BS.  So rather than takeing the time and trying to belittle anyone, get to work and go make us something.... run it and show us.... otherwise it's just useless banter on the internet.  As for me I know..... you couldn't build anything on your own, you can buy some parts, have a shop weld a crank, find some junkyard rods, bolt them togather and when it fails wonder why. But the tuth is that several forum members have done similar projects and they have all worked out.  Lots of us have great success with them, the difference is we are able to understand the most basic principals of the internal combustion engine and use adequate parts or make them ourselves.

Edited by wi50 - 04 Nov 2012 at 8:54am
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 11:53am
Amen and hats off to wi50. Some of us have family and up coming boys to teach them American History on farming and what cool tractors our family's were raised with. From time to time my son likes reading the pulling form generally cause he is excited for next season and learning this exciting sport as a farm boy. So I ask Rod and Pank to knock it off!!!   Some of us need this form and have made great friends on here chatting. I appreciate my new friends. I have read this form for years and purchased parts in classifieds but never taken pulling serious till now my boys are interested and my eyes are focused making sure they have good safe life growing up. Hope all know it's more than tractor pulling ( it's family , and friends)
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 1:03pm
I aint gonna tear your post apart.Slander is your way of taking rival pulling parts suppliers out.Keep reading and following my lead it will help your sales. Cause its not a two great minds think alike thing.That would mean we were alike.

Edited by mlpankey - 04 Nov 2012 at 1:04pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 1:06pm
My picture are on the site youve seen them and youve seen them on pulling club.s also why dont you pull up your first post where i commented that it sounds like your were reciting my old posts.remember that?

Edited by mlpankey - 04 Nov 2012 at 1:09pm
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 1:44pm
It seams odd that wi had been pulling that high rpm outlaw many years before you were on the forum pankey. Why if I had to guess you are the one so envious of his work that you will keep crying to whatever he posts.

You guys are nothing alike. Marty's engines work and your tries fail as tears fall. The reason you are not going to pick that post apart is because you can't. If your IQ was tripple what it is you still couldn't. What he wrote is solid.

Edited by Rod B - 04 Nov 2012 at 2:43pm
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 7:19am

Because we have a BSer amoung us and some take it with a grin,,,,Tongue 

Some dontAngry

Simple as that
cornbinder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornbinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Butch(OH) Butch(OH) wrote:

Because we have a BSer amoung us and some take it with a grin,,,,Tongue 

Some dontAngry

Simple as that
aint that the truth
Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

It seams odd that wi had been pulling that high rpm outlaw many years before you were on the forum pankey.

What exactly do you northerners call a "high rpm outlaw"?

do they look anything like this?
There isn't much a WC can't do.

WD's just do it better.
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 5:28am
Dam thats gotta be noisy
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 6:22am
262 on tri power ? Pontiac carbs ?
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 8:28am
Originally posted by WildBill WildBill wrote:

Slightly enlarged 292 GM.  The carbs are motorcraft variants of the Weber DGV.  Progressive 2 barrels with top air-doors, keeps everthing moving at a nice velocity.

I hated those pipes (still do), did more harm than good in my opinion.  But, it's Dad's ride - he can have whatever he dang well pleases.

Good story on how that tractor came to be.  When antique "outlaws" started down here, around '98 or so (basicly unlimited rpm and mph), the tractor had to have stock blocks to that model.  We built a Model B Custom, cranked the little flatty up to around 180 hp @ 5500 rpm - and let her rip!  It took me about a year to get the kinks worked out of its multiple carb setup on it.  Then sent alot of large cubed Olivers packin with sad faces, they couldn't turn over 2200 without coming apart.

Being outnumbered, the Oliver guys changed the rules.  They wanted to use the better waukesha engines out of the later Oliver combines, 12 port etc.  So, they said if a manufacturer had used that engine in any of its ag equipment, it was legal.  Bingo!  Allis used the 292 GM in its F combines.  The Allis boys in my hometown got busy and built 3 292/WD outfits that winter.  The Oliver contingent was NOT happy the next spring.  Those 3 would place somewhere in that order, all of them turning 6k+ rpm.  I got a better handle on how to tune those carbs, then it got to be Pap #1 and the other two.

In the 4000# class, that thing is the wildest ride I've ever seen come down the track.  Which, is what got it retired.  I think even Pankey saw its last wild romp at Carthage - which scared the heck out of everybody who saw it.  Its been for sale for quite a while, but probably will get disassembled and the engine de-tuned to put in some kind of vehicle.  Just lookin' for the right vehicle.

Good times, good times!

WD's just do it better.
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 8:34am
Thanks for story ! Any videos ?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 8:50am

Thanks for story ! Any videos ?
Yes, there are videos of the 292 - dang good ones - but all on VHS!  LOL

What we don't have a video of, which I lament badly, is of the Custom B.  As sweet as that 292 sounds - I still love the sound of a flathead hitting the high notes at 5500 rpm more.  I don't even care if I win or not, I just like that sound.

If I get time this year, I may bring that old girl (the Custom) out of the mothballs and go Pankey huntin'.  LOL  Surely he ain't afraid of a little ol' flathead?

WD's just do it better.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 9:23am
That is one cool outfit Hudson. Is the manifold a Clifford? Back in high school I had a 292 in a 62 Chevy II and Jack Cliffird helped me along with it. He could make 'em run.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Hudsonator Hudsonator wrote:

Slightly enlarged 292 GM.  The carbs are motorcraft variants of the Weber DGV.  Progressive 2 barrels with top air-doors, keeps everthing moving at a nice velocity.

I hated those pipes (still do), did more harm than good in my opinion.  But, it's Dad's ride - he can have whatever he dang well pleases.

Good story on how that tractor came to be.  When antique "outlaws" started down here, around '98 or so (basicly unlimited rpm and mph), the tractor had to have stock blocks to that model.  We built a Model B Custom, cranked the little flatty up to around 180 hp @ 5500 rpm - and let her rip!  It took me about a year to get the kinks worked out of its multiple carb setup on it.  Then sent alot of large cubed Olivers packin with sad faces, they couldn't turn over 2200 without coming apart.

Being outnumbered, the Oliver guys changed the rules.  They wanted to use the better waukesha engines out of the later Oliver combines, 12 port etc.  So, they said if a manufacturer had used that engine in any of its ag equipment, it was legal.  Bingo!  Allis used the 292 GM in its F combines.  The Allis boys in my hometown got busy and built 3 292/WD outfits that winter.  The Oliver contingent was NOT happy the next spring.  Those 3 would place somewhere in that order, all of them turning 6k+ rpm.  I got a better handle on how to tune those carbs, then it got to be Pap #1 and the other two.

In the 4000# class, that thing is the wildest ride I've ever seen come down the track.  Which, is what got it retired.  I think even Pankey saw its last wild romp at Carthage - which scared the heck out of everybody who saw it.  Its been for sale for quite a while, but probably will get disassembled and the engine de-tuned to put in some kind of vehicle.  Just lookin' for the right vehicle.

Good times, good times!
Yeap I was there pulled in the same class.  It pulls better than the flat top wc built like it with the edelbrock fourbarrel running a little further south than your dads.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Butch(OH) Butch(OH) wrote:

That is one cool outfit Hudson. Is the manifold a Clifford? Back in high school I had a 292 in a 62 Chevy II and Jack Cliffird helped me along with it. He could make 'em run.
Thanks for the compliment, Dad is the architect/engineer due any credit - I was just a carb tuner.

The intake is an Offy.  Those 292's are great sleepers ain't they?  No matter the vehicle.

Jack was a case!  A tru-blue Hudson Motor Co. fanatic - which is how I got to talk to him.  I run one of his "cheater" intakes on a  308 powered Hudson Super Six coupe, the intake that got him banned from the NHRA - LOL.

WD's just do it better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic