This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question on my HD11 series B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gts440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on my HD11 series B
    Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 2:22pm
I just bought a FA HD11 B at an auction & all seemed to work ok.
Once I got it home & tried to push a little dirt I found out the tractor
Moves fine until you put it under a load then it stalls? It appears the
driveshaft is turning but not quite at engine rpm & I can detect a
load on the engine but the tracks quit moving????? I ordered books
but don't have them yet. Where do I start? The tranny appears to be
full of the correct oil. Any guidance is appreciated!!! gts
Sponsored Links

Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 2:47pm
Define stall. You know this tractor has a torque converter so if the tractor is idling and you put it under load it will just stop, throttle it up and it will start to move again, if its wide open and the tractor stops you have a problem probably with the torque coverter, I would have to go look at mine but on the 745 there is a gauge that reads pressure and it has colored quadrents you should be in the green, if you had no pressure the tractor wouldnt move either loaded or not, and if the engine stalls out than you have bigger issues to deal with.
gts440 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gts440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 3:20pm
With the blade & rippers up the tractors operates fine. It moves forward & backwards & shifts to high range in both.
Under wide open throttle if you lower the blade the tracks will stop moving even though the engine is still running
at high rpm. The driveshaft is still turning just a lot slower than the engine rpm. All the gauges appeared to be in the "green".
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 4:06pm
 I am not sure but before toutch the torque check your strainer stering cluch they must missing oil by a streaner pluged
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 4:13pm
what do you mean by the driveshaft is still turning,, did you open up the tranny or some inspection cover to see something turning? I have an 11B on mine there is no where to see a shaft turning other than the front of the crank shaft, or the finals turning. There is a cover on the bell housing you could see the torqe converter/ flywheel. I wonder if your powershift is slipping, did you try changing the filters or look inside of them to see if they are full of metal? My guess is if you just bought this on auction, this is the reason they sold  it, and I would further guess the fix isnt cheap.
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 4:26pm
Looked in my 11B service manual, it say loss of power in all gears indicates a torque converter trouble or engine trouble, you can check the stall speed by locking the tracks with a steel bar, engine rpm at torque converter stall should be 1965-1985 RPM low engine rpm stall would indicate engine problems. If you have high engine rpms than you have torqe converter problems which can be checked by pressure testing the main pressure, transmission clutch apply pressure, and torgue converter pressure, it goes on to say that most torque converter problems are due to hydraulic system malfunction like pump, pressure settings, clogged filters etc. At least this is a start.
gts440 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gts440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 8:39am
The driveshaft I speak of is the one between the converter & transmission. I thought the steering clutches were released by pressure? I will pull the diff cover this weekend & see if I get anything coming out of the tranny.
gts440 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gts440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 8:40am
Released by oil pressure.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 10:59am
Don't know if I can help but we have 4 HD 11B series powershift dozers in are AC collection. We've had a couple of them for almost 30 years. They all seem to have there own personality's.We have one scenario that's close to yours. We brought one in that we had very little history on and when we started running it it was very sluggish. Based on some other experiences we had  we decided to run it after we checked the oils and filters. We have to run it for 15-20 minutes minimum before it will work properly,weather temp could be 100 degrees or 25 degrees. Once it's working ok it works fine in very adverse conditions. Are prior experience being an HD11EP powershift that was very sluggish and would creep when it was in neutral. We thought we identified the converter as the problem,so after disassembly and no smoking gun, we replaced some worn parts and still had the same results. At that time the transmission pressures all checked out ok. It has the same symptoms. Won't hardly move when we start it, 15 - 20 minutes it's fine, I can feel it when it's close to normal.   Don't know why there like that and we probably won't know untill were forced to go further. The other fourm posts are all good info also. The only reason I was bringing it up was because your original post doesn't say how long you might have tried to run it. My recommendation would be to check the oils and filters for metal and then run it for at least 20 min. (if you haven't run it that long yet) 
gts440 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gts440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 11:42am
I have run the engine for about 40 minutes & it does not seem sluggish at all & moves without a load just fine. As soon as I lower the blade it stops turning the tracks, raise the blade & it moves fine. I also have an EP that is sluggish at first & fine once it has worked 10-15 minutes. This series B is not sluggish at all it just quits pulling under load. Thanks to every one for the suggestions, I will pull the diff cover this weekend. I will post what I find & as soon as my service manual comes in I will be able to do a little better troubleshooting!
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 1:34am
Anyone trying to offer you advise that dont know AC torque converter tractors have a drive shaft between torque converter and trans are the wrong people to be doing so. If your drive shaft is turning and your tracks are not, your transmission clutches are not fully engaging.   Robert McIntosh
gts440 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gts440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 9:40am
Ok I found my ep service manual & it covers my model B. My main trans pressure is within specs based on what I think is fast idle. However when checking my clutch pack apply pressure in R1 & R2 they are both well below spec. The manual lists a minimum pressure of 160 psi & my pressure at fast idle is 120 & my lube pressure in the unapplied clutch pack is 20 psi & the manual calls for a minimum of 25 psi. I have not checked the forward clutch packs as they are much more difficult to get to. Since they share the same problem characteristics I am going to pursue the low apply pressure problem first. The service manual suggest I check out my relief valve so when I get time that will be where I start.
I will post what I find when I get there. Any other suggestions or ideas?
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 9:42pm
You know all later 11s use the right clutch shaft for forward gears, and early tractors used the left one
gts440 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gts440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 7:05am
No I did not know that. Thanks, gts
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic