Forum Description: Forum dedicated to Tractor and Garden Pulling
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=143308
Printed Date: 06 May 2024 at 7:15pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Gleaner M block needs freshening up
Posted By: keith84
Subject: Gleaner M block needs freshening up
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 6:55pm
     I have a M block in my wd. I am looking in to doing a motor job. I was told to put a set of WC 4 1/8" overbore due to wristpins are 1/2" lower. This will add 1/2" to the stroke? What more can I do when the motor is apart?

Replies:
Posted By: bradley6874
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 7:33am
Okay changing the wrist pin location in the Piston does not have any effect on stroke at all the only way to change stroke is rework the crankshaft changing the wrist pin location changes compression using that much lower wrist pain will considerably lower compression compression

-------------
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul

Posted By: CAL(KS)
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 8:02am
actually the compression will be higher.  wc piston was designed for 4" stroke, so putting it on a 4.5" will make a tighter squeeze at the top= higher compression

-------------
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 8:09am
4 1/8" bore is a good idea.  4 1/8" bore that has LESS compression than what you already have will be a giant step backwards !!!  Know what you are buying !!  Years ago, the best choice was M&W pistons/sleeves from a WC or WD installed with a WD-45 or D-17 crankshaft. They were so tall they had to have .170" milled off the tops to avoid hitting the cylinder head. Those pistons haven't been available for 20 or more years.

Posted By: tbran
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 10:54am
Many moons ago when antique pulling was strong around here we built several engines for WC's and D's We used at that time the TISCO WD kits which were about 9 to 1 CR best we could tell. We had Lunati regrind the cams and worked the heads and intake manifold , opening them up - and with a 175 size carb one could get some real torque with premium gas and 60 true hp + or - a few. I have one of the E Gleaner engines in a WD myself built like that still at the farm - with a regular WD carb and retarded timing it still is fine on regular gas. If I had it to do over I would bore a small relief under the plug to get down to the 8.5 CR for farm use. About as soon as we started on these builds the $$$ itus set in and 5+ " stroke cranks and 4.25" pistons etc and the $$ and hp went out the roof...

-------------
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 4:54pm
When raising compression ratios over 8.0 to 1, you need to use better octane fuel. Using the M&W pistons, I always ran 102 octane fuel. Ignition timing was backed off some from 25 degrees BTDC. Dyno testing is the best way to set the timing. You might be down to 22 degrees or so.

Posted By: keith84
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 6:31pm
I was thinking about the WC pistons after I wrote it with the 1/2" comment. I know better then that.

But is there anyone making a m&w overbore kit?   

Posted By: SteveM C/IL
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 11:19am
Sealed Power was selling a knock off of the M&W system.I put a set in my stock WD45 about 5yrs ago.They had cut the compression back to stock numbers which I didn't know till too late. It has the shape/design of the original M&W but the bowl is larger. I did a fast and dirty CC check between the two and the math said the new S/P were at 6.5 vs the 7.25 of M&W. You can tell it is less powerfull when bush hogging heavy growth.

Posted By: steve fischer
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 2:37am
I have some ap 46 m&w pistons wd 4 1/8 and ap 48 for wd and d17 4 1/8

Posted By: d17brown
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 7:59am
I have a set of 175 sleeves and piston. Will get 175 psi compression

-------------
phil

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net