Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=139643
Printed Date: 02 May 2024 at 8:53am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 138 CI engine
Posted By: Lon(MN)
Subject: 138 CI engine
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 9:19am
Found a 138 cu in power unit. What other Allis equipment used this engine?

Replies:
Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 11:59am
The  138 was designed after the 125 ( B- C- CA) and was used in the D10-12 tractors. You can put the 138 in place of the older 125 ..... might be a tad underpowered for a D14, but would work.

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Posted By: Calvin Schmidt
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 8:43pm
138 engines were just used in the early non live PTO D-10/12 tractors besides power plants etc. 

-------------
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 9:01pm
Thinking of putting it in a CA. The breather tube would need to be moved.

Posted By: GregLawlerMinn
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 6:51am
One can put the 149 Piston/Sleeves in the 138 to make it a 149. If memory is right, the crank, cams, and heads are interchangeable. The 138 is 5-10 more HP than the 125. Don"t know what other mods are needed to drop the 138/149 into the CA; however, would expect some as the 138/149 were used in the next generation after the B/C/CA tractors (the D10/D12/D14/D15). Sounds like a fun project and should make the CA more lively.

-------------
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 7:50pm
Started the 138 today and it runs nice. Looks like the radiator will need a new hole on top and the valve cover will need a new hole in the center to work in a CA

Radiator hole......Boooooo

Posted By: JC-WI
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 9:13pm
Can you just change valve covers?

Got a D14 engine  parts/block head...  and was wondering if its possible to drop the engine into an RC and build it to 40-50 hp?

-------------
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."

Posted By: Calvin Schmidt
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 6:10am
We put a complete 138 head on a D-14 149 engine.

-------------
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed

Posted By: PaulB
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 6:14am
Lon:For the top radiator hose, just get the top hose fro a D10/12 tractor. No need to do anything for the radiator. Although you'll need to find a place to mount a temperature gauge. 

JC: The 138/149 can use an overhaul kit that will bring it up to 155 and will have higher compression. That along with some cam work head porting and a larger carburetor will get you into the 40-50 HP range. However I have gotten a BE/CE block much larger than that and making about 75 HP.

-------------
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY

Posted By: wfmurray
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 6:56am
What is different in a b and c engine from a  ca other than gov spring.Restored a 49 b and put a ca carb on and had  to file out holes to get it on .Cranks runs and pulls good but surges at high  no load. Have adj gov rod. Seems to be a little rich.Wonder about intake and venture in carb.

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 7:09pm
Looks like a D14 upper hose will work if I trim it. I have not solved the valve cove issue yet. Had hoped that a B valve cover would work, but not the case. Looks like a new hole will be made in the valve cover. The temp gauge is another problem. 
I cut the grass today with the CA and will do the engine change out tomorrow. Should be fun.

Posted By: wbecker
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 10:05am
I put a D14 149 engine in my lowered B for mowing. These are some of the things I needed to do. The 138 eng. should be all the same.
Had to use the B fan, and the B flywheel and clutch. The D14 manifold required moving the muffler hole a little bit. The B air filter will not fit with the D 14 manifold so I fabbed a new tube and used a K&N filter, and moved the hole in the hood. Made a instrument box mounted on the steering column for the temp and oil pres. Needed to drill out the holes in the radiator mount to the engine to 5/8". I made a patch to cover the B temp gauge hole and oil cap hole. I also added the fuel gauge mount from the D14 tank, of coarse not necessary.
That's all I can remember, it all worked out well, have fun.
Bill B

-------------
Allis B, IB, Low B, G, D10, JD M, 8KCAB, C152

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 6:45pm
Got the 138 in the tractor today. Have to work on a broken bolt that holds the coil on. The choke linkage is broke. Needed to build an adapter plate for the air cleaner. Oil gauge is in the same place. Think I will build a bracket for the temp gauge and mount it in the same hole. Needs a thermostat. Was a neat project.

Posted By: wbecker
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 8:31am
Lon, I only moved the oil pressure because of the mower lift cylinder was in the way.
We would love to see pictures.Smile
Bill B

-------------
Allis B, IB, Low B, G, D10, JD M, 8KCAB, C152

Posted By: Bill Long
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 10:38am
I never cease to be amazed at the "designer things" you do to the tractors I sold.
At a tractor pull I saw a CA with a D-14 engine.  Worked fine and pulled very well.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net