Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=138015
Printed Date: 10 May 2024 at 6:07am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: TIRES
Posted By: WNYBill
Subject: TIRES
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 12:49pm
Is a Titan tractor tire worth $50 more than an Alliance?

Replies:
Posted By: matador
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 1:28pm
If anything, I'd say $50 less than an Alliance. We had a Titan on our old 4520 and 6600 combine. The things cracked like none other. The BKT on our White has already outlasted the Titan. The only brand I'd really pay a premium for is Firestone

Posted By: HD6GTOM
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 1:35pm
NO   I sold those things for a while and came to detest the quality of titan tires.

Posted By: Ky.Allis
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:33pm
I put new Alliance on the rear of D17 about 9 yrs. ago and really like them. No sign of cracking at all and the price was reasonable at the time. I looked all over the tires for the country of origin and finally found in very small letters--Made in "Israel" 

Posted By: bakwoodsfarm
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 6:39pm
Just put new FS on the 7045 (20.8x38) and checked on all available brands. I went with FS because there was only $150 difference between the FS and the cheapest that I have never even heard of.

Posted By: matador
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 8:01pm
Yeah- if you want quality, bar none, Firestone is the choice. Sadly, the dealer for them out here is a long distance away. But, if you can afford it, I'd mount a Firestone. You won't regret it.

Now, a Titan? No way. I'd rather be out an extra day or two or pay more for another dealer than I would pay for one of those

Posted By: Ranse
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 8:59pm
I have a 4835 New Holland that has titans on the back. The tires have a ton of dry rot cracks in them, and they seem to squat a bit even though the pressure is correct. I can't complain however, the tires are 21 years old. I've been told titan bought out Goodyear. I'm not going to tell you not to buy the titans because I believe they will do just fine for you. I work for Bridgestone and I buy BKT for most of my tractors instead of Firestone because they are cheaper even with my employee discount. We make semi truck and bus tires where I work, and if the farm tires are anything like our factory, you might as well buy what ever is cheaper.

Posted By: Gerald J.
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:11pm
Bridgestone owns Firestone. Titan rim first bought Armstrong and I think Titan tires are still made in the Armstrong factories, then Titan bought Goodyear.

Gerald J.

Posted By: Jordan(OH)
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:03pm
Titan isn't worth the $50.

Posted By: victoryallis
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 11:26pm
The worst tire in the salvage yard is worth $50 more than a Alliance. I have a set on my 6080 they cracked bad at a year old.   If I come out of this year with no major repairs I plan to take them off and put Firestones on.

-------------
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760

Posted By: WNYBill
Date Posted: 03 May 2017 at 7:17am
Now that is excellent information.

Neb. tire has 6 Titan 18.4x28's if anybody is interested.  My local dealer can get me Alliance cheaper.

Bill

Posted By: JarrodACFan
Date Posted: 03 May 2017 at 7:57am
I have next to no experience with Titan/goodyear. I have Alliance on my WD45 and on our 500bu grain cart. We got them in I think 2014 and they are still like new with no problems. Granted, these aren't really intensive uses. Every Firestone we have had has been great. I guess my opinion for you would depend on what you're doing with them. If it's a main work tractor, get Firestones. If it's occasional use or hobby, then I think Alliance would be just fine.

-------------
1956 WD45 Narrow Front Factory Power Steering, 1953 WD Wide Front
Allis Express in Muncie, IN

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net