This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need cam and carb help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 1:03pm
One last thing i forgot to mention, if i wanted to listen to an argument i would call my ex-wife and deal with her, but then again she would make more sense then all this nonsense in the end! Big smile
 Have a Good Day All

Sponsored Links

Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 1:13pm
A little bit of advise is to put off the camshaft purchase until you have settled upon the rest of your build for next year. There are some pretty smart cookies in the cam business but they are only as smart as the info you give them. Every bit as important as the correct grind  is timing, some good info has been posted about that but ask the grinder too.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 1:33pm
I try to keep some cams on hand, but it's hard to do as there's the drive gear difference, keyed or flanged.

Then there's the oil pump drive gear, 11 or 14 tooth. 

That makes for 3 core cams to start with.  Then the limetless combinations of other factors in the engine.  So for a guy to have cams on hand and supply, it takes a good "all around" grind.  It's never perfect for the application, but it's not to far off.  Lobe shape is just as important as any of the "magic numbers" for the grind.  If 2 cams from different master patterns have the same duration and lobe seperation numbers there's still a difference.

When I port a cylinder head, I cut holes in the top of the head on each side of the intake port between the head bolt studs and intake valve guides if you can picture.  Then I blast the heads clean inside and out and grind the casting flashing off around the intake port and valve bowls.

Now with the access holes I cut in top of the head and the water port through the top and bottom of the head, I can get that whole area clean and fill the area with a special filler I buy.  The exhaust ports are not a bad shape or size to start with, but the intakes in these things SUCK!  So I cut the sides of the port into a nice long sweeping radius into the valve bowl.  I roll the floor and short side radius off also.  Being filled, I don't have to worry about leaking water and depending on the application, sometimes I cut way into the filler through the port.

The port gets verry wide inside, to wide and you end up with a dead spot.  I drill a hole in the back of the port wall into the head bolt hole directly behind it and tap it.  I then can put a screw in it  for an anchor point and build a divider around it tapering out twards the manifold face of the head paying attention to keep the port volume correct for the engine application.

When I'm done I have a split port head for the most part.  With the original T shaped port, there is no way to get much air around the corner to one intake bowl or the other.  At that corner the flow becomes detached and makes a mess out of the flow pattern.

I'll share a picture of what I'm talking about as far as the split in the port.  The picture is not of an Allis head, but none the less it's a visual.  It's made in modeling board and is a prototype for another project I will not talk about.

Edited by wi50 - 07 Nov 2012 at 1:34pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 3:48pm
Since the time of flow benches you get lump ports w ports and vane type ports and on a dry bench the increase in flow numbers from this can really show up. Wi said it can become detached makes me wonder if he has upgraded to wet flow technology without it the only realistic test is a tear down after engine has run to see where the carbon areas are in relation to the intake valve to know where fuel/air mixture has become unsuspended back to fuel and air .
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 8:52pm
We're lucky that Marty is willing to share what it takes. I rember him posting how he made a lump port head similar to the inline chevy when pankey was crying that it was impossiable.

Those of us with experience know the first indicator of problems in a port is the sound that it makes. Something as simple as a piece of string can be verry usefull finding problem areas.

Posting old pictures of a tractor and skateing around the truth when asked where we can see it run in person is a bit like old men putting high school pictures on dateing sites now isn't it pank.

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 6:37am
i never said it was impossible . i said the same as i did above this time as well. sometimes a increase in dry flow can be a hinderence in wet flow.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 11:16am
There was nothing said about any wet flow. But you offered $200 to see what he explains for free. Search the archives on ytmag for yourself.

Anyone with basic porting knowledge knows that air does not like to turn corners. The AC head has 2 sharp corners. The air WILL become detached. No wet flow adapter needed, common sense prevails here. Eliminate the corners and it's possiable to meet the flow potential of the valve. Usually the allis head is at the end of it's flow potential by .400" lift. I'd bet by re-shapeing the port like in the picture and paying attention to valve aproach and seat angles there's a lot of potential power hideing.

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

There was nothing said about any wet flow. But you offered $200 to see what he explains for free. Search the archives on ytmag for yourself.

Anyone with basic porting knowledge knows that air does not like to turn corners. The AC head has 2 sharp corners. The air WILL become detached. No wet flow adapter needed, common sense prevails here. Eliminate the corners and it's possiable to meet the flow potential of the valve. Usually the allis head is at the end of it's flow potential by .400" lift. I'd bet by re-shapeing the port like in the picture and paying attention to valve aproach and seat angles there's a lot of potential power hideing.

yeah some where around 300 hp if the cfm numbers he post are realistic but he doesnt want to send the head down for someone else to verify or deny his claims.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 8:46pm
With that kind of math a bone stock 226 would make about 150 hp.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 7:31am
No cause a bone stock head cant flow half the cfm number wi boasts.you know his indy head came with flow numbers that indy provides and they are repeatable in wi and in tn. The deal wwas if wi cfm numbers were not stretched when i tested i would send him his head and 200. If his numbers were untruthful wi would have to pay me for my time testing to get his head back. To date no head from wi has been shipped to shop for testing.so one can only assume that numbers where inflated.   

Edited by mlpankey - 21 Nov 2012 at 7:33am
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 9:52am
In another thread you admitted to paying Dan Rawlings $100 to flow test for you. $20 do do it and $80 do put up with you is what Dan claims.

Why consistantly lie to us? No wonder Marty doesn't trust you enough to take your money.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 12:04pm
Dan Rawls can do it if Wi is scared and wanted a non tractor bias person to run the test. As for Dan Rawlings the only Rawlings I am familuar with makes footballs and baseballs.

Edited by mlpankey - 21 Nov 2012 at 12:30pm
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 2:48pm
You can admit that you don't have any way to flow test. You can't even tell us what a sharp edged orfice plate with a 1.28" diameter hole or 1sq in area would flow when calibrateing.

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 3:35pm
1.874 plate with a .61 corection factor around 248cfm i choose this number for a reason care to guess why. We are still under muflerboltz 226 pulling build post

Edited by mlpankey - 21 Nov 2012 at 4:12pm
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 5:50pm
Can I get you 2 a room? Neither one of you know anything other than any easy answers from google or whatever search engine your puter uses.

Edited by wi50 - 21 Nov 2012 at 5:56pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by wi50 wi50 wrote:

Can I get you 2 a room?
hey hes your boyfriend. Not interested in a triangle .

Edited by mlpankey - 21 Nov 2012 at 6:02pm
ykfdf View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ykfdf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 8:18am
thats the kinda info i was looking for! thanks! if you do have a cam let me know if you want to get rid of it and how much

Edited by ykfdf - 10 Jan 2013 at 8:19am
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by ykfdf ykfdf wrote:

thats the kinda info i was looking for! thanks! if you do have a cam let me know if you want to get rid of it and how much
sent you a pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic