This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Minneapolis Moline opinion?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACfarmboy24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minneapolis Moline opinion?
    Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:01pm
I know this is an AC forum but their seem to be alot of guys who no alot about other tractors. I wanting to buy a minneapolis moline g900 or g1000 sometime next year and was wondering if they are a good tractor to have on the farm?
AC 200, AC 7045, NH 4630, White 508, CIH 5600, Athens 76, AC 333, Hesston 545
Sponsored Links

John WV View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John WV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:13pm
yes my dad had one can't remeber the no. of it . It was lp gas and all he used it for was to rolll hay and did a good job doing that and was pertty good on gas
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 6:02pm
They were solid tractors, but age and lack of good maintenance can ruin most anything.  The LP engines would run forever, and the diesels were less fuel efficient than the newer, turbo diesels.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 6:13pm
Have a friend that has an M670 and G900 along with some others.  Both are diesels and seem pretty solid and good power.  Only problem is on the G900 is that each head had cracks in them.  M-M never seemed to have the hydraulic system as the other companies did at least from my experience around them.
30+ A-Cs ranging from a 1928 20-35, to a 1984 8070FWA, Gleaner R52
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 6:17pm
Also the torque amplifier will not hold up just like an IH, so don't expect much there.  A-C power director has always been the bullet-proof system.  Don't get me wrong M-M are good tractors, been a few in the family over the years, and still have grandpas 445.
30+ A-Cs ranging from a 1928 20-35, to a 1984 8070FWA, Gleaner R52
Larry Miller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 6:28pm
I don't know anything about their tractors, but I just bought a 3 pt 2 bottom plow at a farm sale and it is a very well built heavy plow. (1960s ?) The coulters are big compared to most AC plows. Clearance to avoid plugging looks to be better than AC plows too. It also easily adjusts for width of cut for each bottom - I guess for 16 or 18 cut ? If other implements are that well built - I will be looking for more.
I used to be young and stupid, now I am not young anymore.
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 7:22pm
Says right on the G1000 vista "finest tractor in the world". Marketing wouldnt lie would they????? Way before my time when the Vista came out here in Wisconsin the old AC dealer told me they were plowing at Farm Progress days and a G1000 Vista was pulling a 6 bottom on land plow in heavy ground and the crowds were loving it, till the next day when AC pulled in with the 220 and 7, the worlds finest, wasnt quite as fine than. Or so I was told.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 7:30pm
Worked for an older farmer who only had MM tractors and equiptment when I was 19-20. He had a G1000 and out of all of his tractors (he had every model but the one with the cab UDLX ?) the G1000 was my favorite,what a beast.Little big for everyday chores but I do not believe it gave him any problems.He had a tractor for every job and the G1000 was his discing/harrowing tractor.As Minnie goes that was one of their better ones.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Roger Nolin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Nolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 8:28pm
remember the low side of the torq amplifier will free wheel ( coast) downhill. Found out the hard way with a baler and 3/4 load of hay behind it. the guy loading the rack has never forgiven me. 
daughter#1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daughter#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 8:30pm
the owner of the cr960 n.h. combine in the (ne iowa combine day video) has a G1000, which was his first tractor. I still remember him getting it when we were in High School. It spent many years doing their heavy work and also custom work. Never had any major problems. One day he called, said he was stuck out in the field and to bring a tractor to pull him out, I walked past new fendts and jcbs to the g1000 Great tractor to drive and those long stroke engines have loads of torque, pulled him right out. Even though we are ac people the G1000 will always be a favorite.

TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 9:22pm
Good tractors, can be bought pretty cheap. Dont buy one with duals or thats had duals on it, a little weak in the pinions. They were never built for duals, and tore rear ends out as the engines were really torquey. Engines were thirsty compared to a 210 or 220, Trev.
Bull View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 9:26pm
I once had a G-900. It was a very good tractor and pretty easy on fuel. I had some issues with the hydraulic system but I don't think it was a common problem on them. Overall I was pleased with it.
WC7610 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WC7610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 9:44pm
My Dad still has his G900 he bought new, about 3500 hrs total.  The reason for low hrs is poor brakes, hydraulic, shifting and very noisy.  We got a 4020 in '72 and the MM mostly sat parked after this.
Tractor is smooth riding to do fieldwork in one gear all day, but not handy as a "chore tractor" around the farm-long wheel base and did I mention poor brakes?   Neat looking old beasts though.
Thanks

Most Bad Government has grown out of Too Much Government- Thomas Jefferson
big al View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 10:40pm

I LIKE MM & AC-I LIKE THE MM'S FROM THE LATE SIXTIES AND EARLY 70'S.UNLIKE THE EARLIER POST THE TORQS ON THE MM WOULD OUTLAST TWICE AS LONG AS THE IH'S,AND U DONT HAVE TO TEAR THE TRANS COMPLETLY APART TO REPLACE THE TORQ.BIG ENGINES G1000 HAD 504 CUBES.THE COMPARISON BETWEEN A VISTA AND A AC 220 IS A LITTLE UNFAIR.THE 220 SHOULD BE COMPAIRED TO A G1350 THAT CAME OUT IN 1969-HAD 585 CUBES RATED AT 145HP.I HAVE ONE IN PIECES WITH A RARE TURBO OPTION THAT WOULD PRODUCE 180HP WITHOUT TOUCHING THE PUMP.DONT GET ME WRONG I HAD A D21 SERIES 2 PUTTIN OUT 170HP.I WOULD NOT BE SCARED TO TAKE EITHER ONE TO A BATTLE!! THE LATE MM'S WERE THE BEST HAD ALOT OF THE BUGS WORKED OUT.

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 10:59pm
I have an M670 Super Diesel.  Right now the Ampa Torque is out both high and low range and the hydralic pump is bad, otherwise, it's cherry!  The brakes seemed adequate.  Hard to start under 45 degrees, fairly good on fuel.  Used it mostly to run a hydro swing swather and Hesston 4600 baler.  Didn't do much tillage work with it but it did pull a 3 bottom spinner plow easily. 
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 3:32am
the "G1000" is a power house!!
ky wonder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky wonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 9:00am
i never had a large mm, but this old jet star was a powerhouse in the 48hp range,
it would run with 3x14s behind it, my son is just playing with it here to show the torqe worked for the guys who bought it, it now resides in a large collection and looks better than when it was new
i like old tractors of all colors
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 5:26pm
I'd like to find an early Z like Grandpa on Mom's side had. I have my other Grandpa's Oliver 60.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 6:17am
Old mechanics at the AC dealership I worked at told me they were too light in the rear end. Neighbor down the road who I know well (he's borrowed tractors and equipment from me or Dad for years off and on had a 1350 that cracked all the heads on it eventually farming his 80 acres but he has never been known for his maintenance or mechanical expertise. I don't know if he still has it but he now uses a couple old eeeww Masseys like an 1155 or something.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 10:02am
We had an old 1949 ZAU when I was a kid.  It was behind the times, even for a '49 model. On the plus side, it was an easy engine to overhaul.  On the minus side, that engine was unsleeved. I lost track of MM after that and don't know what improvements they made with their next series.
Chris (swIA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris (swIA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 2:56pm
Friend of mine has a G1000 diesel. Long wheel base due to the 3 separate 2 cylinder jugs for the engines. Cold starting due to the indirect injection. That said, it is 1 mean looking tractor due to that long wheel base and the 23.1x30 tires on the rear.
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 5:10pm
I had a G-1000 LP for a rew years. I used it for chisel plowing and discing. It was a solid tractor with no problems. I think maybe the problem with the Ampli-torque was guys would try to feather them in. I was told to "snap" it in and never had trouble with it. But, it was one hot rascal with a cab on it,even with the windows and door removed. My boys finally started refusing to drive it if temps were warm. Replaced it with a 76 7060 and never looked back!
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic