Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Massey combine clutch stuck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Massey combine clutch stuck
    Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 2:52pm
I was going to park my 750 MF combine the other day but when I started it discovered the clutch wouldn't release.  Put a block between the linkage and the axle to keep pressure on the throw out bearing but after nearly a week it still hasn't released.  Anyone have experience with those machines?  I don't have a shop manual for it.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 8:07pm
did you panther pi$$ it?
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:53pm
John our neighbor had that happen to him, but it was in the fall when he first started it. Ol Perkins fired right up and put him thru the end of the machine shed. He did not have a head on it. Will be interested to see what you find.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 10:37pm
I pressure washed it back in September, maybe got water in the clutch housing, which is separate from the transmission.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 3:15am
prolly froze in more ways than one?
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:09pm
Most days are well above freezing so water freezing in it shouldn't be a problem, but rust might.  There is a threaded bolt with two nuts on one side of the housing, maybe I'll try to loosen or tighten them to see if it helps.  Fortunately the combine was in the yard and in neutral when I started it.... 
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 10:37am
Most likely rusted to flywheel.If you cant access it through an inspection cover somewhere to peck on disc while released,drive it around with the pedal held down is about all you can do.Apply brake while driving.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 9:48pm
Thanks for the advice Steve, I'll try it tomorrow.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 8:50am
Report back with results.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 10:37pm
Messed with it a bit today, nice and warm day.  Had to pry the trans out of gear, drove it around a bit, no brakes, they used to work, another project.  Drove it up against a pile of dirt, started smoking the drive belt but clutch held.  Guess I may have to take it apart.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 12:21am
brakes? who needs brakes?
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 1:34am
Ya know, if the clutch doesn't work, brakes are nice to have....

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 4:38am
that's when you drop the head
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 3:03pm
The heads off, it's big enough without a 24' header.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic