This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M65 Grader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M65 Grader
    Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 6:07am

Hav been rebuilding an M65 grader from a bare chassis for a couple of years now is also coming together , full engine rebuild , full gearbox rebuild , all new  bearings,  sprockets and drive chains, new axles in tandem cases new brake cylinders and master cylinder new brake shoes new hyd pump , all new crome rods in cylinders and seals, control valve recoed, all components sandblasted painted in two pack , I would hate to think how much i have in this project  but I'm having fun i guess

Sponsored Links

Steve allis dozer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 6:09am
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 6:14am
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 6:44am
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 7:17am
Now that would be what is called "a ton of fun" or maybe work or money, or all three. As long as you are happy, is what counts. Thanks for the photos. God Bless.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 8:26am
4 wheel brakes ?  My old Adams 411 used brakes on the front set of the tandem only, then guess they figured it would not go fast enough to need much. 
 Lot of work there , has a to be a labor of love in what you will have when done 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 11:15am
All I can say is wow and the dollars spent must be just as impressive. I am amazed that it needed so many new parts in the chain boxes and that you can find new parts. I replaced the two chains on one side of my Model D grader but that was because some idiot had dropped a socket into the chain box and never bothered to retrieve it . It must have jambed against the bottom and the driven sprockets over the years and stretched the chains and when I got it one chain had come apart at the master link. I don't know how much use it had over the years but the sprockets were fine and the chains in the other box were fine.
Four wheel brakes are nice. They were an option on the Model D's. Mine just has the band brake on the front of the gear box and the grader is now located in hilly country so that band gets to smoking a little when roading down hill. In those cases I keep the moldboard close to the road surface in case I need an emergency brake (LOL).
I noticed that you have a new sprocket for the circle drive. I desperately need the circle drive gear box and wonder if you might know of a source. I think that the Model D, M65 and FA65 used the same setup and I could use one from any of those models.
Jack of all trades, master of none
dpower View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 8:47pm

Your going to have a nice machine there. We have one as well isn;t it funny they used that old d17 motor well into the 70s for these graders. I needed to find a top for our brake master cylinder the threads are bad on our top. They are a neat machine

Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 6:10am
G'day Don , when I brought this grader I should have left it where it was , although it was cheep I didn't realise the guy that used to own abused it and  I dont think he owned a grease gun or did any maintenance  It was in very poor shape!!  I think the front end will cost a bit to do up but i cant  stop now so not thinking about the dollars , am just keen to get her going ,  A mate of mine deals in allis parts and can get most parts for these machines , i will ask about your turn box  i know he has all the parts to rebuild them, 
 regards steve
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 6:18am
Gday power , the master cylinder was quite cheep and i think it was the same as an international truck?  I could send you my old top if you need it ,

I think the 262 is a good engine for this grader with long stroke has plenty of power and is good on fuel , if they are looked after ( Warmed up before working hard and let cool down before turning off at the end of the day) they will last a long long time!!
regards steve
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 7:26am
Steve thats a neet project, I too am amazed that you can find all those parts new. I love graders but can't talk the wife into one, I do have one I made out of a WD-- stretched the frame and made my own 10 ft. blade it dose a good job for a small machine.
dpower View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 7:53am
any chance you could take a pic of it. What was on mine was a plastic cap that was threaded. Let me know thanks
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 8:00am
I'll probably not live long enough to see it completed, but I am hoping to find the time and money to do a complete rebuild on a model forty-five road grader that I bought last summer. I am really looking forward to doing it. Thanks for posting the pictures, Steve. They kind of give me a little motivation to get going on mine. Darrel
sequoyah101 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sequoyah101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 4:49pm
I logged into this forum just to say how very impressed I am by the appearance of your work.  I have wanted one of these little machines for years and may be about to get one.  I doubt it will ever be up to your standards though.

I blundered across your posting while looking for specifications and any problems people knew of for this grader.

I sure know the first person to contact though if I have something I dont' know how to fix!

You know that nobody can probably ever afford to pay you for your work on this of course.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic