This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Legit or just another scam?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Legit or just another scam?
    Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 8:45am
I have what I thought is a reputable garage/shop.  I've used them for several years and not doubted until now.  Anyway, our daughter has a 2017 Escape she bought new and not a high mileage vehicle.  Had its first set of tires last fall.   She takes it in for a lube service and that's not a big revenue producer.

Service advisor comes out & says "you need new lug nuts".  She said no, thankfully & moved on.  I have to admit that's a new one for me.  After many decades of driving and many vehicles, I have not replaced 1 lug nut.  Maybe it's a Ford thing, I guess there have been some issues on lug nuts.  There are stories of shops preying on women & up-selling their services.  Mixed comments on this particular shop.  Thanks for comments.  We moved to this shop after the Ford dealer lube guys screwed up the lower dust shield and it fell off.

Dennis
Sponsored Links

GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 9:03am
The lug nuts on my Focus (like many others - for years) have/had a thin metal "cap" to make them appear solid.  The caps deform and/or come off over time (surprising if this was only her first tire change).  I just replaced all of mine with solid ones.

Those dust shields are crappy too.  May not have been their fault.

Edited by GSTROM99 - 18 Mar 2024 at 9:06am
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 9:05am
Some of the cheap chrome covered nuts blow up and you can't fit the socket on them. Especially in the rust belt. I would ask and find out why and tell them to show me why they are recommending new nuts.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 9:36am
The ones with the cap 2 piece design come apart. The guy at the parts store bragged his up how theirs are solid. I said yeah, they’re solid, they just rust within a couple months
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 10:10am
I've used Wallmart 'solid wheel nuts' on my trailer builds for years after I ran out of 'recycled' ones. I put 2-3 drops of oil into them before I burb them on.
ALL 'two piece' nuts are for the squirrels.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 11:17am
wife's 13 Escape is on set #4, dealer finally refused to replace them anymore( only they touched them, couldn't blame on anyone else) bought a set of solid chrome steel ones, no longer an issue. Ford's know about this for 15+ years, there was a class action starting up a few years ago, not sure it went anywhere.
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 11:28am
The two piece Ford lug nuts do not have a good reputation but I have not had a problem with them on my '99 F150. I don't trust the dealer shops and some of the independent shops. Aftermarket lug nuts will be less expensive especially if you install them yourself. IMHO indiscriminate use of impact wrenches is the leading cause of lug nut and wheel failure.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 1:03pm
YEP... the two piece are crap... but its the IMPACT that tears them up.. Use a breaker bar and socket and they will last... But still a bad design.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 1:13pm
When they start to expland just use a metric socket and it fits fine for a while. I replaced the one on our old Escape with ones fron NAPA
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 1:18pm
well... thats part of the problem.. IS the nut 13/16 , 21 mm, or 22 mm... most shops put ONE on the IMPACT and ONE SIZE FITS ALL !!  plus they drive them back on to 200 ft pounds !
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

YEP... the two piece are crap... but its the IMPACT that tears them up.. Use a breaker bar and socket and they will last... But still a bad design.
I'll bet the bean counters at FixOrRepairDaily have found they save a penny or two on the two piece nuts. Buy a piece of crap and you have a piece of crap Wacko Go figure.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 2:51pm
GM and Chrysler using the same garbage.

Edited by DMiller - 18 Mar 2024 at 2:51pm
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 3:50pm
Other side of it , had drop axle tire changed on dump truck at shop on the road , they said I had to replace all 5 lug nuts as when I had mounted tire at my shop I had touched each stud with anti-sieze  , they cleaned the studs and replaced nuts - but I kept the ones that were on the truck . 
  Their explanation was DOT does not allow lube on truck wheel studs or nuts 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 6:04pm
ALL of the car companies started using the 2 piece design because they can have a SHINNY COVER on the nuts without CHROME PLATING all of them.....again, it WORKS if you use a breaker bar and socket... IMPACT is the killer..
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

ALL of the car companies started using the 2 piece design because they can have a SHINNY COVER on the nuts without CHROME PLATING all of them.....again, it WORKS if you use a breaker bar and socket... IMPACT is the killer..

But Paulbuh says!!
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 6:25pm
As long as they didn't skimp on your 47 plastic cup holders everything be kewl just run them on finger tight and go.
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 7:15pm
Thanks guys, it's been an education.  Discount Tire said it would be $50. over the phone.  The shop in question said $150.  Common encounter by the tire shops, who knew.  The Ford litigation went nowhere, and they wouldn't even cover if still under warranty.  Reminds me of another situation.  Flat on Buick Enclave-alloy wheel stuck to hub, would not budge.  Called tow operator, he crawled under there with a 4x4 block of wood and a BFH and pounded it loose.  Tires had been rotated so it's not like they had never been off.  Thanks again.  
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 10:20pm
I overheard this at my local Discount Tire as well, which I have generally been very happy with. They were trying to sell it to a lady that clearly had zero mechanical knowledge who was on the phone with her husband who was also incredulous when he heard it.

Vehicle was a newer Jeep. I thought "what a load of crap" but then looked it up later and sure enough, it's a thing with the cheap two-piece cover/nut and corrosion in between them.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Dave76 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 11:39pm
Just replaced all the lug nuts on my 2015 GMC 2500 for the same reason. Rock Auto has OEM fix lug nuts that look just like originals without the the tin cover. Took over two hours last time to rotate the tires with a lot of swearing. I fixed that problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic