This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

large rivet removal question.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: large rivet removal question.
    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 12:13pm
Ok guys i have a metallurgy question regarding some rivets i need to remove.  I am salvaging some parts from a 99-04 ford truck to install on my own, specificallly, the rear overload springs as mine does not have them.  The front overload stop bracket (rear spring) is riveted to the frame unlike the rear bracket which is bolted.  I dont want to use a torch for 2 reasons, i dont want to destroy the bracket and its located right next to the fuel tank.  Would i be able to drill the heads on these and then remove with a punch or will they be too hard and eat drillbits?  looks like only other option is some kind of cutting disk on a grinder.  the parts truck is about 30 minutes away and i dont want to have to go back, already been there once.  here is what i need to remove.  trying to figure out a simple and clean way to do this

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 12:19pm
Should be able to drill the center out and hit it with a punch. That's the best way I've found to take out rivets. And a word to the wise, there's no need to run your drill as fast as possible. That will burn the bit faster than hard metal will. Go about half speed and let it cut. Little WD40 or any oil will help a lot. If your chips are blue and your drill is squeling, slow down your speed. That's a sign of to many rpm
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 12:30pm
I have used a cutting disc on an angle grinder and cut an X across the rivet head then use a chisel to cut off the top and punch it out.. That is of course you have the room . Sparks may also be an issue if near the gas tank. Be careful, HTH
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 12:50pm
A sharp cold chisel.  We use them to cut rivets on airplanes up to semi trucks here.  You won't believe how easy they cut.  
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Amos Amos wrote:

A sharp cold chisel.  We use them to cut rivets on airplanes up to semi trucks here.  You won't believe how easy they cut.  
  I wondered about that,  i have some very good large chisels, if i can get in to swing would be the issue.

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:03pm
Cal, think about it this way.  As a general rule, hardness is metallurgically "resistance to deformation".  Since a rivet works by deforming, it "has" to be relatively soft.  Therefore, will drill, cut with chisel, etc.  Just for any future projects....

Edited by Tbone95 - 04 Jun 2019 at 1:04pm
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Cal, think about it this way.  As a general rule, hardness is metallurgically "resistance to deformation".  Since a rivet works by deforming, it "has" to be relatively soft.  Therefore, will drill, cut with chisel, etc.  Just for any future projects....
  wasnt sure on this application if they were hot rivets or just cold press.  hot would make them hard right?  i was imagining red hot rivets like building on old skyscraper lol

Edited by CAL(KS) - 04 Jun 2019 at 1:10pm

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:14pm
Hot only makes it hard if a) hot enough; b) cooled very rapidly; and c) has adequate carbon content to make it hard, and harder than your drill bit.  I'd think those old skyscraper rivets are still plenty mild, but I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Meant as a general rule, I guess I don't know the specifics of that application either, so I guess I probably should just STFU. 

Edited by Tbone95 - 04 Jun 2019 at 1:16pm
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

I guess I don't know the specifics of that application either, so I guess I probably should just STFU. 
  ha!   dont think that is necessary,  i just didnt want to show up with a drill bit and smoke it in 30 seconds if you know what i mean

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:22pm
I know what you mean.Thumbs Up

I've smoked a bit or 2 in my day, as well as mangled more than one chisel!LOL  Better take an assortment of tools.  Do you have a center drill bit?  Those little buggers are usually really hard, and can make you a nice starter hole.

However you go, good luck.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:32pm
if you mean a center drill like for a mill machine, no  but my plan was to drill a pilot hole then finish with 3/8 or so.  should remove enough material to punch through or chisel the head off

Edited by CAL(KS) - 04 Jun 2019 at 1:33pm

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 3:06pm
A Dremel type tool might be a better source of drilling/cutting.

Have you priced them?  Might be an easier option!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 3:18pm
I grind them flush with the piece, then whack with a good drift. Lot easier on my hands and no bandaids required !
If you grind down JUST to the surface of the piece, it's easy to lightly tap a drift to 'punch' the rivet out.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 5:40pm
If you have an air source an air chisel would be my first pick.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 6:10pm
use the pilot drill as you said, then use your 3/8 drill to get thru the head.. use the cold chisel to break off the "head" of the rivet... Some will poke thru after that, some will be too STIFF... If they don't poke out, drive the cold chisel between the frame and bracket and PRY the bracket off the rivets.......... Personally I use a grinder, but not around a gas tank.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 6:42pm
Do you have compressed air close? We used a large air hammer with a sharp chisel in it. It makes very short work of them.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 8:23pm
Step drill bit (unibit) drills its own pilot(s).  As others have said, pretty soft stuff.  also, use cutting oil, once you have the bit started.  Normally a grinder or cutting disc is way faster, but it don't look like you got much room, there...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 11:18pm
remove the gas tank and grind away!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 7:30am
Might be better to get a REAL truck that is capable of doing the job you are wanting to do. Half tons are never built to do much more that get a keg of beer or a few bags of feed. Just look at the data plate in the door to see what your truck is designed for, any more than that is puttin yourself an everyone around you on the road at serious risk. Every day I see overloaded and overworked wanabe trucks doing a job it is truely not up to. DOT cops are getting wise to bumper dragging unsafe landscapers and Harryhomeowners on the nations highways. They are finding it to be an easy revenue stream. All they have to do is look at the weight rating of the tires or the trucks data plate and the big fines begin. I had a neighbor recently get a $2500 overload ticket for crossing a 6000 pound bridge with one scoop of mulch in the bed. Then another $1000 for overloading the rear tires. You are putting everyone’s safety at risk when you do as you please and ignore a winpy daddy’s pretty little trucks limitations.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 7:47am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Might be better to get a REAL truck that is capable of doing the job you are wanting to do. Half tons are never built to do much more that get a keg of beer or a few bags of feed. Just look at the data plate in the door to see what your truck is designed for, any more than that is puttin yourself an everyone around you on the road at serious risk. Every day I see overloaded and overworked wanabe trucks doing a job it is truely not up to. DOT cops are getting wise to bumper dragging unsafe landscapers and Harryhomeowners on the nations highways. They are finding it to be an easy revenue stream. All they have to do is look at the weight rating of the tires or the trucks data plate and the big fines begin. I had a neighbor recently get a $2500 overload ticket for crossing a 6000 pound bridge with one scoop of mulch in the bed. Then another $1000 for overloading the rear tires. You are putting everyone’s safety at risk when you do as you please and ignore a winpy daddy’s pretty little trucks limitations.
  I completely agree with you here, however,  this is on my 99 F350 SRW.   it was ordered as an xl truck so no options,  did not have overload springs when ordered, which i find rediculous for an F350.   IIRC my gvwr is 9800. i run only 10 ply load range E tires.

And thanks for the tips guys.  you were correct the rivets were soft.  Went last night to retrieve the brackets and rear sway bar.  Drilled a pilot hole then bumped to 3/8 the depth of the rivet head, then used a big chisel and 2# hammer to remove.  Popped em right off.

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 8:03am
Glad the job went well for you Cal.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 7:19pm
Them hot rivets used on ships and buildings were hot and then peened so when they cooled they shrunk - thus causing them to be in tension - cold formed rivits not so much like those you removed or the ones used on sickel bars - when peened cold .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic