This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Value of very rough non running 220 FWA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
carl View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Value of very rough non running 220 FWA
    Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 12:56pm
I don't understand why people hang on to something and let it be vandalized and go to rot.  Why wouldn't you sell it when you quit using it?  Of course, I've got some junk that my wife thinks I could have gotten rid of a long time ago!  Still, it's sad to see something valuable sit like that.
Sponsored Links

AllisChalmers8070 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers8070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 11:02pm
That FWA220?
180 190XT 7045 7060 S88

AllisChalmers8070 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers8070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 10:59pm
Did he ever sell it? 
180 190XT 7045 7060 S88

Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 12:26pm
My uncle traded in his 190XT for one of those back in the early 70's. I asked him how he liked it.  He said they couldn't keep a rearend in it...and it sucked fuel, so he traded it for a Deere and has been a JD guy ever since. He is still farming, I think he turned 80 this year. He has a 4440 loader tractor with over 20,000 hours on it!
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
mm1468 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mm1468 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 12:08pm

I can sure relate to sentimental value. My grandpa bought a new 1468 in 1974 and i remember riding in it when i was 5. Grandpa traded it in around 79 or so. My brother and I had been on the hunt for it since the early 90's or so. Well in 2002 or so we were talking to a family friend and the topic of that tractor came up. He told us he was working for the dealership where the tractor was traded in to. He said he had hauled it to a farmer that bought it in a small town 140 miles away. Well it took my brother and I many phone calls and several trips to that small town but we found the tractor and then got in touch with the owner. He said it had been parked for several years and agreed to sell it to us after we told him the story of the family heritage. We use it on our farm every once in a while so we can hear that V8 snort. It is all still original. We would not sell it for any amount of money. There have been many people that see it and stop by and want to make an offer on it.

Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 11:18am
all true eldon, but the longer is sits the ruffer it gets

Edited by Mrgoodwrench - 12 Jan 2013 at 11:19am
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 10:41am
One thing that I think about with the economy the way it is....if you don't need the $$$$ now, and you know you can sell it in a heartbeat if you have to...it probably isn't a good time to sell it. For all we know, inflation could take off and that $15000 could be worth 50% in a couple of years, while the tractor will be worth twice as much.  That is why collectors are buying up all the rare stuff right now....better than money in the bank when inflation hits and interest rates are too low.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 7:44am
does the owner actually have sentimental for it or does he just think he has something great?....when i bought my house a guy down the road had 3 tractors sitting at his place, outside, no longer a farm. An ac180, farmall m and jd b. everyone in the neighborhood and many passers by had tried to buy them. the ac belonged to his son, he offered it to us when lost his job and needed quick cash. the story with the other 2 was that one day the m wouldn't start and they had cranked the battery dead so they were drag starting it with the jd. then they stopped for lunch and neither tractor ever moved again. for the next 20 years they considered them to be just as good as the day the parked them. my father in law bought that property 2 years ago and we sold them both,$500 each for parts to local pullers, the chain was still hanging from the jd.
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
cornbinder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornbinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 6:38am

i have the same issue with  a somewhat rare muscle car car that i have owned for 20 years, it's rare and i have been asked way to many times to sell it. i finally put it in storage, so it's out of sight. sentimental value more than anything is why i keep it, plus my wife and my mom/friends have all told me not to sell it. i don'tknow that i'll ever get around to fixing it, and i know dozens of peope who would start restoring immediately. it's one of those things, i know how the owner of he 220 feels.......... i have alway thought i'd sell it to the "right buyer" who'd do to the car , what i think is right but that's not right either to expect that from someone. so here i'am...... just trying to shed some light on the 220 owner reluctance to sell. someday when he realizes he won' do anything with it............ then maybe..... kinda like me............ good luck wth this hope it works out for someone. pete

TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:15pm
Steve, you mean left handed? Trev.
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 7:22pm
I think that most normal attempts are useless for this deal. The owner has made up his mind he doesn;t want to sell. Pestering about it in any other form will likely piss him off more and make him more resistive to any conversation.
As for letting the son fix on it, I'd steer clear of any deal where you spend money on some one elses tractor. The next generation will not likely hold to any deal.
I would find out what he likes and get that working for you. Make him want what you have then offer to work a trade.
Anything else your wasting your time and money.
Yea, I can fix that.....
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 3:32pm

Maybe work the deal that it will be total restore at X amount of dollars and parts and supplies and the boy gets to show that tractor at every show he wants...(at the boys own hauling expense) for the next 10 years and also has first dibs at purchase upon the time the owner decides to sell.

He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 8:15am
.......maybe you could convince "Mr successful,I don't need the money" that he needs to get his sentimental tractor inside  and fix it up,for his own sake. Good luck with that! LOL! I don't dissagree that he can do whatever HE decides but his logic is odd. Might be a "lefty".
WC7610 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WC7610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 7:51pm
LOL.  we started at $2500 on this machine about 4 pages back and now its up to $30-45k tractor now.  FFA sure is expensive these days.....
Thanks

Most Bad Government has grown out of Too Much Government- Thomas Jefferson
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 5:29am
AMEN Fred . . . . .
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 12:05am
 I was thinking something similar to Dean, perhaps your son could talk to him about letting him restore it (he pays for all the materials and maybe a little $ per hour).  Your son gets to display it and perhaps keep it at your place.  Your and your son have first right of refusal if he does want to sell it.  If the money isn't all that important to him and he would like to see it restored, he might go for it.  If all else fails, offer to help move it to his place where it is more secure and maybe where he would see it every day and decide to do something with it.  Also, if he is married, his better half may start nagging about that old piece of junk in the yard.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 7:22pm

Walking and Talking

Dean (West MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean (West MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 2:11pm

Given what has been said, I wonder if some type of common ground could be reached and how feasible would it be for the restorer? Given:

(1) Owner does not want to sell due to sentimental value, but would like to see it fixed up

(2) Restorer would like to restore

Perhaps you could offer to restore the tractor for free and take ownership upon the owners death.  You could even pay in advance and restore it know knowing that the cost to restore and value of the tractor will probably increase over the next few years. Of course, you would have a contract written up specifying it's storage and usage. 

I guess it depends on how much you want it, trust him and the age of the current owner.

Just a thought.

mm1468 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mm1468 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 1:48pm
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am hoping he reconsiders selling it to my son after he thinks it through.
Harvey/pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvey/pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 1:01pm
mm1468 When my daughter was 15 (1995) she decided she wanted a 67-72 Chev pickup as her first auto. There was a 1969 sitting for 10 years in a yard close by owned by a grouchy old man that no one liked. I told her I could get it for her, knowing she would not want one that looked so rough.After reality set in she said she would settle for it. Yikes, I was kidding, but went to see the man & he said everyone wanted it & he turned down $2500. for it. When I told him my daughter wanted it he said " that little girl that shows cows & had her picture in the paper, what can she afford"? He sold it to her for $1000. it had only 36K miles on (wouldn't trade 10 yrs earlier because dealer was too cheap) Turned out to be a good truck but she got girly a few years later & sold it while I was upstate hunting for less than WE had invested. Thats why Dads have gray hair! Long shot but maybe he will reconsider...Harvey
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 10:33am
The reality is its the guys machine, if he wants to let it rust into the ground and blow away, that's his deal. Do I agree, absolutely not. To quote one of my favorite movies "You just caint reach some men, and that's the way he wants it, and that's the way he gets it". It is too bad though, Trev.
GM Guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 9:58am
oliver had Clark at least for the 00 and 50 series, pretty certain for the 55 series too. that spilled over to the 2-105.

the 135 and 155 whites had a French built axle that was expensive as hell to rebuild.

thats a shame about the 220. ours is sitting out too, but there is a tight can over the exhaust, and the antifreeze leaking into the water problem was solved by draining the radiator. we really need to do something with the old girl, I think a out of frame major and leave her all original for now. (dad is too cheap for a full resto)
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 9:36am
Yeah, if that 220 was any of ours, it would at least be getting preserved. Hes just letting it rot. What a shame. Obviously doesnt mean that much to him. He just doesnt want anyone else to have it. Thats his choice. I just dont agree with it.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 3:30am
Glock, "sound to negative but I hate owners like that", You would hate me too if I had that 220 sitting here... LOL
  It kind of sucks to see some fellow that has something that you want and he doesn't do anything with it, but it is not yours, it is his to do with as he pleases.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 11:36pm
 Sentimental Value of this unit PRICELESS , I respect the Owner for that  !!!!!

allis4ever View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 10:34pm
Don't know what Oliver used for axles but these have Rockwell ones in them. Parts widely available new. Just bring along that bushel basket of cash depending on what you need. Lol

mm1468 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mm1468 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 8:38pm
He know how to get ahold of me if he changes his mind. I doubt he will though. He has had 20 people try and buy this tractor over the years he said. He is aware of its value even in its condition.  He is a very sucessfull farmer and does not need the money. I will be seeing him at some meetings at the end of the month. Maybe after some time to ponder the idea of it getting restored he will re consider.....
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 7:47pm
Talk about paying the price for ego. I went to an auction around 1990 and there was a like new seat back with the spring for a WC on a rack wagon that I thought I'd bid on.

The auctioneer got to the rack and the story was that the farmer got a new WC and took off the seat back and hung it up in the lean to on the corn crib and it had been there high and dry untill it was taken down and put out to sell.

Well I started the bidding at $20 and it was just me and another fellow boom, boom, boom quickly to $50 when I figured if he was that determined he could have it. Well going once, going twice when another guy started bidding.

It brought $180. According to the neighbors the guy that showed up a few minutes late (and won the bid) owned the tractor that the seat came off of. The other guy bidding was a family member and they some kind of grudge going, and he didn't even own a tractor.
AGCO My Allis Gleaner Company
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 5:27pm
You might want to work the sentiment side by suggesting how nice the tractor would look once your son restored it.   
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 5:12pm
HA!! good one terry
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic