This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need forklift starter nose machined in NE IL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broncobilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need forklift starter nose machined in NE IL
    Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 9:50pm
Anyone in NE IL or SE WI, know of any reputable machine shops? The starter on my 70's Allis Chalmers FPB 2024 1-ton forklift died on me. The starter (I found out) was from a 1930's/40's automobile - made by Autolite, and should never have been on the lift by DownloadNSave">to begin with? Probably a previous owner change-out? Anyway; I acquired a working used starter on Ebay, from a late 60's 4 cylinder AC forklift. The starter bolt holes line up with the Waukesha ICK bellhousing - however, the cast metal starter nose is too fat (about 1/8"), and won't fit in the hole on the engine bellhousing. I need the starter nose turned down (lathe/mill), in order for the starter to fit into the bellhousing hole. Any suggestions on a machine shop is much appreciated!
TIA!,
Broncobilly
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 8:21pm
Getting the right starter might be cheaper, in the long run.  Might be other differences that could cause failure, even if you get it to fit.
Allen Dilg View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allen Dilg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 9:00pm
Hello Broncobilly!!    I live in Gurnee if we can't machine it or have a starter there is a good machine shop in Zion.    Allen Dilg   847 v244 7257
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 10:06pm
are you sure the teeth count and size are right, and the protrusion length into the housing is going to be right ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Broncobilly View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broncobilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 11:57pm
Thanks all for the replys folks!  I will have to take note of the teeth count, and protrusion length etc., before I decide to go the machining route.  I got ahold of a few vintage car starter rebuilding outfits (on the web), who say they can rebuild the old Autolite starter I have for the Allis.  The prices are not cheap, but they claim the starter will last as long as I have the lift? 
All the Delco-Remy starters I have found listed online (listed for 70's 4 cylinder Allis forklifts), seem to have a wider OD nose, than what the starter OD hole size is fpr my Waukesha ICK powered forklift?  Anyways; thaks again for all the input everyone :)
TIA!,
Broncobilly
Broncobilly View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broncobilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 11:59pm
Allen,
Thanks for the reply to my starter problem post!  I have to take some measurements with my caliper (to make sure this used starter I have will work on my forklift), and will get back to you.  Probably after Thanksgiving.

Regards,
William Sharp
Wilmette, IL
TIA!,
Broncobilly
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic