This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Corn shredding pictures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corn shredding pictures
    Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 8:51pm
Last weekend we went to our friend Dave's farm and helped him shred some corn.  Due to the drought the corn yield was not that great be we all seemed to enjoy ourselves plenty.  Dave does own a couple wonderful A-Cs unfortunately he did not have them out.  None the less we did have a fun time!

The sights at the farm were a true step into the past.

How often do you see farm fields divided by lanes like this anymore?

We used some tractors to pick up the bundles along with some real horsepower!  This is Dave's team Daisy and Dolly. 

A Case DC powered the Rosenthal model 80 shredder.

I still consider the shredder one of the most dangerous farm machines to run.
Heres Dave at work.  He is very cautious with it and does a wonderful job.

Yes we do have alot of fun here in Iowa!
Hope you enjoy!
Jim

Sponsored Links

Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 8:59pm
Great photos!!!! Thanks for posting!! Ryan
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 9:10pm
I did some of that with my wife's family last weekend, except that we did everything by hand (no tractors or horses).  Our shocks weren't quite as big and pretty as those, and the corn wasn't as nice either. Thanks for sharing, even if the orange isn't persian!
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 9:15pm
Neat...would be nice to go back to times like that when people worked slow and hard....not! Where was the silage going?
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 9:30pm
Operations like this are truely getting to be a lost art in itself.
Thanks for posting!
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 9:36pm
Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos Jim! I wish I lived closer to you! You have too much fun! I have never seen nor heard of a machine like you were running there that husked the corn and shredded the stocks..
Very NEAT!
Mike in Iowa
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 10:31pm
Thanks guys. 

These were an interesting machine.  They basically have a set of snapping rolls like those of a combine corn head that you feed these bundles into.  The person feeding the machine would cut the twine on the bundles and feed them in while being careful enough not to get caught in it.  The shelled corn is separated out and comes out the back of the machine where you can put a wheelborrow or something to catch the shelled corn.  The stalks are blown out the back, here Dave was piling them up so he could use them for bedding for his sheep.  This model is actually a large machine and could handle two men feeding the machine, although I think it would be close quarters there! 

I have been told that Rosenthal was actually in West Allis and these were built a few blocks away from A-C.  They built shredders way into the 50s and tried to get into the pull type chopper market with a special device they designed.  I have only seen one of these.  When exactly they closed their doors I am not sure. 

Such jobs were hard work.  But at that time all of the neighbors worked together, most farmers could afford new or newer equipment with farms that averaged around a 100 acres, the small towns were full of jobs and businesses, there were more than 3 major tractor manufacturers, there were jobs in the cities due to the larger amount of tractors and machinery that was needed to be built..........maybe it would be nice to go back to these times!  As long as we keep the internet so I can still talk to all of you! lol

Jim
Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 7:07am
Reaaly great pictures -- looks some work involved, but a fun day.
Bob-Maine View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob-Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 7:28am
Jim,

Thanks for sharing. This is something we don't see a lot in the northeast. Bob@allisdowneast
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not sure.
Armand(AZ) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armand(AZ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 7:47am
Hi Jim, neat pictures.   Was the wagon manufactured in Wheatland, IA??   Never seen one around there so it just caught my eye.    Say hello to your mom and dad for me.   Armand
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 8:17am
A #40 pictures .

Fifteen-year-old August Rosenthal, the son of German immigrants, began toying with the idea of a corn husker on his parents’ farm near Reedsburg, Wis., in 1882. It took him seven years to get a good, working horse-operated model, with Prince, the family workhorse, powering a circle sweep. “Before long,“ says Brian Wayne Wells in the May/June 2001 issue of Belt Pulley magazine, “a steady stream of ears of corn began sliding down the hopper of the machine into a waiting bushel basket. Meanwhile, the corn stalk was discarded intact on the ground behind the machine.”After that, young Rosenthal added chopping and shredding capabilities to the machine. By 1894, Cyclone Model 1 was perfected, and the modern corn husker/shredder was born. Despite sudden competition from other companies manufacturing corn husker/shredders, the Rosenthal Corn Husking Machine Co. continued to successfully manufacture and sell its models, each with increased improvements. Four-roller and eight-roller models were manufactured, eventually called the Rosenthal 40 and Rosenthal 80. By 1920, the company, then named Rosenthal Corn Husker Co., had begun to manufacture silo fillers. The company went out of business in the 1950s. FC

Read more: http://www.farmcollector.com/equipment/young-inventor-develops-first-husker-shredder.aspx#ixzz28cQpSHe4

I found a great article on this company and history and posted part of it in the Political section but a link to it is here .

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 07 Oct 2012 at 8:37am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 10:09am

In the late 1920s, the Rosenthal Company introduced its new all-steel version of the Big 8husker/shredder.  Just as with the Steel 4, the all-steel construction of the Big 8 was accompanied by enclosed gearing on the machine.  There were so many other improvements made to the new eight-roll all-steel corn husker that the Rosenthal Company thought a new name would be appropriate for the machine.  Consequently, the Model Steel 80 corn husker/shredder was born.  At the same time, the Steel 4 was renamed the Steel 40.  Improvements continued to the Steel 40and the Steel 80 into the 1930s.  Timpkin roller bearings were added to both models in 1931;Alemite grease gun zerk fittings for cleaner lubrication were added in 1934.    

The Rosenthal Company had just introduced the new all-steel version of the model Steel 80corn husker/shredder when the Great Depression upset the United States economy in 1929.  As with so many other companies, the Depression drastically curtailed sales for the Rosenthal Corn Husker Company.  For years following the onset of the depression, sales of corn huskers/shredders virtually dried up, forcing the company to re-evaluate its line of five different models of corn husker/shredders.  Thus, as the company economized, it limited its line of corn husker/shredders to only two models–the four-roll Steel 40 and the eight-roll Steel 80

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 10:12am
Makes it easier to see why OSHA injury figures were listed as "non farm" for so many decades and I have read previously that the farm injury numbers were not included with overall US work numbers as it would have raised them considerably, plus they were hard to document.
Neighbor lost an arm in a Papec corn wagon down the road when I was a teenager.
Uncle (who became an A-C dealer later) lost his arm in a left hand delivery A-C chopper.
Nieces husband, well, all they found were his lower legs (slinger spreader) just before Christmas two years ago.
If we were sent to tell our father lunch was ready when he was unloading at the silo, he kept rocks on the silo foundation that he would throw at us if we came within 50' of him while unloading.
We still joke with him about all the hand signals we used as he would not allow us near rotating equipment until 15  16 years of age, and then it was only to learn as he still did everything.
Be safe . . . . .
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 8:22am
Thanks for posting the pictures Jim. We have a very late model IHC 2 roll that we run a few loads through each fall at our show. It is a tiny machine as compared to that 4 roll.  I have been told that the design was actualy stolen from Rosenthal who sued and lost.
MikeinLcoMo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeinLcoMo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 8:57am
Was lucky enough to grow up in a community that enjoyed having the old folks live with them at home and let them continue with the old ways along with the newer technology. I witnessed threshing and shocking wheat, picking corn behind a team and the first self propelled combine on the same farm. Had to widen all the gates because the 10' header wouldn't fit through the fences. LOL. Mike
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 9:40am
Growing up in the 40-50's there were a lot of guys that couldn't count to ten on their fingers. One or two had a hard time getting much above a five! By the 60's there was a lot less injuries, and by the 70's with the advent of self-propelled combines hand injuries became a lot less common!
We had an 8600 White xombine with a 704(I think) cornhead. On each side, facing forward there were decals stating in fairly large distinct letters, THIS MACHINE IS FASTER THAN YOU ARE!
Also, I remember when we had to make gates wider too. And looking back today, it's hard to believe that when you were told to use the big tractor, it was probably the Farmall M. Today they look sorta "little"!  
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 10:01am
What's the black frilly things on the horses for?
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeinLcoMo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 12:45pm
Keeps the flies off.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeinLcoMo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 12:52pm
Looking back at the pictures of Dave working, I'm surprised he is wearing gloves. That was a big "no no" around feeders due to getting caught and pulled in. Looking back, a lot of the old timers couldn't order 10 beers in a noisey bar. I thought we'd need a step ladder to get on that Farmall 560 when they unloaded it. Mike
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by MikeinLcoMo MikeinLcoMo wrote:

Was lucky enough to grow up in a community that enjoyed having the old folks live with them at home and let them continue with the old ways along with the newer technology. I witnessed threshing and shocking wheat, picking corn behind a team and the first self propelled combine on the same farm. Had to widen all the gates because the 10' header wouldn't fit through the fences. LOL. Mike

It's funny to listen to you guys, and the memories it brings back.  While I am not old enough to remember shelling corn, I have helped widen our hill farm gates three times over the years, and from what I am told, I just barely missed a forth, just before I was born.  The old CII had a 3 row head on it, and it fit the orriginal gates after some "modifications"  then when we got the LII I was a young kid, but helped with that one, then the N7 with an 8 row head in the early 80's helped with that one, this last time when my uncle bought the R72, with a 12 row head, I told dad, let's make the #%#$% thing 75' wide, so we won't be doing this again.  He chuckled, and said I should be thankful all we have to do is widen the gate, and not pick the corn and shell it too!! 
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 9:29am
Im surprised at how much discussion these pictures have brought up! 

To answer the question/comment on Dave wearing the gloves, with this machine you have to wear gloves or your hands would be bleeding terribly after the first load from all of the leaves on the corn.  I didnt wear gloves and my hands were cut up from just loading the bundles.  Dave is wonderful and safe operator of these machines.  He never holds onto the bundles, he just cuts them and lets loose and lets them fall into the rolls. 

I am 33 now and I remember alot of people picking and shelling, but most people just picked and ground the ear corn.  Some of us still do that as well. 

I do remember one guy in our area that still threshed!  Never owned a combine!

Jim
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 10:03am
One time my kids were talking to my Mom about "the good Old Days". Mom replied that in that time they washed clothes and dishes by hand, carried the clothes out to the line, hung them up and waited for them to dry, regardless whether the temps were 100 or 0 degrees, carried them back in. Used a hand pushed carpet sweeper, butchered when the fall weather set in, and smoked and salted the meat, hoping like heck it would keep and not spoil from the bone out.
Harvested the crops, and loaded/carried them to a thresher/corn sheller/fodder chopper, then carried or pitched it back out as feed.
In short; everything was manual, backbreaking labor!
She then told the kids; "I have a dishwasher, clothes washer, clothes dryer, in the house, the clothes are made with fabric that does not require ironing. I do not have to go outside, thaw out the waterpump, handpump a bucket of water, carry it in the house. We have machines the process the crops and dump clean grain in a truck to go to the elevator. In other words, These are the "Good Old Days". "All we did back then was work our butts off from daylight to dark"!
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeinLcoMo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 10:27am
Jim, great pictures. As Bob Hope used to say, "Thanks for the memories". Looking back sometimes softens the reality of how it used to be I guess. I wish I could come up with some sage advice but nothing I can think of would make sense after watching the talking heads on Fox, CNN,and the like. I'm just glad I was there "when". Mike
Dennis IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 10:00pm
Jim, Thank you very much for sharing these pictures. I really enjoy looking at stuff like this. Ya know if these were black and white photos it would be hard to tell they were not taken 70 years ago. Neat stuff Jim, Thanks!    Dennis.
HE WHO KNEELS BEFORE GOD CAN STAND BEFORE ANY MAN
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 11:18pm
Wish Goodyear still made that tread. Second set on the WD(early 80's) and super traction.
Dutchboy Johan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchboy Johan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 3:41am
Very neat pictures. Impressive to see how things been modified to the modern times.
---> Better by Design <---

Johan Straver, Almkerk/ Netherlands

Allis-Chalmers 190XT Ser.III #26829XTD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic