This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Identify this Car Please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Identify this Car Please
    Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 6:39am
Can anyone identify this car?

This is a crop of a much larger picture.

A relative found and sent me the picture, thinking it was my father; however, I believe my father took the picture of one of his Army buddies.

I sort of thought Mercury, possibly a Mercury 8, but am not finding any Mercurys quite like it, nor any with that hubcap.

I can't quite make out what the fender trim says, nor can I make out what it says on the hubcap.

My father was a Mercury man for his first three cars and then he became a Pontiac Bonneville man and owned at least five before getting a new Grand Prix in 1975.

Notice the heavy-duty tire; no junk radials on that baby.
Sponsored Links

BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 6:54am
After looking at several more examples, I am leaning toward 1949 Mercury Eight

He did have a '49 Mercury when he came back from Korea/Japan; it had a spinner on the steering wheel and he was quite famous for taking the Columbia Square on two wheels and sliding a big old broad-bottomed gal out on the blacktop when she slid against the door and it came open. 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 7:15am
The fuzzy first letters of MERC do stand out. I too agree on a Merc 8
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 8:24am
You can see the writing on the hubcap, reading upside down.
On the bottom, MERC(URY) and at the top is EIGH(T).
Judging from the hood ornament, to me it looks like a 1949 Mercury Eight Deluxe Coupe.
HTH......
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 8:42am
The hood ornament, the grill, the turn signal and headlight.1949 Mercury Eight

Edited by Ted J - 13 Mar 2024 at 8:44am
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 11:31am
The fender definitely says Mercury. The hubcap sure looks like E I G H upside down, and first few letters of Mercury on the other side
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

it looks like a 1949 Mercury Eight Deluxe Coupe.

Thanks to all of you guys !

I looked and looked and looked and those letters on the hubcap were just Chinese arithmetic to me until you guys pointed it out and now it just jumps out at me.

I am going to say that is my father's car, as he did have a '49 Mercury.

The people that found the photo are just bound and determined that the guy in the photo is my father, but he was miles from being that guy; he never looked like that a day in his life.

Although no photographer, he did pick up a super-nice 35mm camera for next-to-nothing while he was in Japan and took lots of photos.

Alas, his second wife, before the ink was dry on their marriage license, burn-barreled every photo in the house; the only reason this one survived was that it was in someone else's house and escaped the fiery death.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 4:49pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Did I hear a request?Wink

I haven't even clicked on that yet; but, I bet it is going to be that song "Crazy 'Bout a Mercury"

Let's see if I am right...
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by BuckSkin BuckSkin wrote:

Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Did I hear a request?Wink

I haven't even clicked on that yet; but, I bet it is going to be that song "Crazy 'Bout a Mercury"

Let's see if I am right...

I was right --- I was right --- Thank You - Thank You - Thank You

and he ain't singing about just any old Mercury; he definitely specifies a 1949 Mercury Eight
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic