This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flashing the GEN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flashing the GEN
    Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 6:27am
OK, So after you pull an old DC generator off or have the battery unhooked for extended periods of time, you have to "flash" the GEN at the VR to get it back charging again. In technical terms, what is actually happening when you do this? Are you providing that initial residual magnetism? 

All you electrical engineer guys, this is your time to shine LOL
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 9:34am
You buy a regulator that is positive or negative ground... You have to match the generator to the regulator... The generator can charge either way depending on the residual magnetism inside... With the key off, you touch the BAT and GEN or "A" terminals of the regulator to send the BAT signal to the generator.. That sets the magnetism inside so the generator knows which way to charge............... at least thats the way i was taught.

Generators should retain their magnetism when off for some period of time.. If this is a old generator or has set for months, it is a good idea to FLASH or POLARIZE .. normally do this when you get a new regulator or do bench overhaul work.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 10:49am
Thats kind of what I thought too, but I am in the process of making an educational video and I wanted to be sure before I told someone the wrong information

Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Flyer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 2:02pm
A generator that has been used recently will have enough residual magnetism in the armature to initiate voltage output when the generator starts rotating.  I think the term is "remanence".  A generator that has been off for an extended period (or has never been in service) will no longer have enough magnetism to start the process so it has to be initiated from an external source.

Edited by Flyer - 03 Nov 2022 at 5:49am
An optimist sees the glass as half full. The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The engineer sees a glass with double the required capacity.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 3:35pm
Yup. Flashing the generator does two things: it establishes the residual magnetism, and also establishes the polarity of the residual magnetism.

I was just a lad back in the 1960's and I clearly recall my Dad and other adult men voicing their distrust of those newfangled alternators because you could not push-start a dead battery vehicle equipped with an alternator like you could a vehicle that had a generator.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 4:06pm
I remember it by Boy to Girl but never to Female! Now if I could remember key off.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic