This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Corn picking day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corn picking day
    Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 8:28am
Met  a gentleman from the Red board about a month ago at a corn picking day in IL. We talked quite awhile and he told me he has one of these at his place. Mechanicsville Ia. at the end of October. Figured if I was done with harvest, I'm in! So, another friend of mine from the Red community,Aaron, and I made the trip.

Dan is pretty much all Red, his buddy Kevin offends all colors, his words. From what I can tell, he lives up to that. They had pickers mounted on everything from an F-20 to an 806 with M&W turbo! The 806 with 234 picker will run down the row at 6 mph and not even break a sweat! The last 4 rows they installed a 'grinder' husking bed on the 234. Makes ground feed as you go. Pretty rare attachment and it made the 'ol 806 work a little.

Kevin is in need of a rear main seal for an early D-17 diesel. I posted a want ad in the classifieds.

Here's a few pics from the day. The first one is Aaron running the 806, I ran this thing too but don't have a pic.

Forgot to mention the 315 combine with 3 row narrow head, they unloaded on the go like the big boys do!

Sponsored Links

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 9:39am
I love the corn crib picture. Don't know what my obsession is with corn cribs, but I loke em. I want to turn an old grain bin into one, and then make a patio/gazebo that resembles a corn crib out of another old grain bin.
Thanks for sharing the cool pictures.
Darrel
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 1:50pm
Neat stuff Mike! I see no shortage of rear wheel weights on that farm. Thanks for sharing.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 5:02pm
There's a bunch of drone vids on F'book. Really neat .
Learning AC...slowly
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

I love the corn crib picture. Don't know what my obsession is with corn cribs, but I loke em. I want to turn an old grain bin into one, and then make a patio/gazebo that resembles a corn crib out of another old grain bin.
Darrel
My FIL made a cook shack using an old round corn crib roof. Used maybe 10 treated wooden poles spaced around the outer perimeter with 8’ heights to support the roof. About 4’ inside the outer perimeter, he built a circular bar (wooden counter outfitted with bar stools) for guests. He put all his grill/cookers/smokers/frig/sink in the center. Mounted a hood/chimney pipe up & out middle of roof that drew up any smoke. Lots of great memories.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 6:55pm
My favourite thing to do is pick corn. Never used an over the top allis but used most of the rest and that ih 234 is a great picker. Many of the older timers say the ford pickers were the best. My corn is still two weeks away. Late killings frost
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by dr p dr p wrote:

My favourite thing to do is pick corn. Never used an over the top allis but used most of the rest and that ih 234 is a great picker. Many of the older timers say the ford pickers were the best. My corn is still two weeks away. Late killings frost

der p, don't know about the Ford pickers but those 234's would be hard to beat! Especially with the horse power you could put under one. Friend of mine's Dad ordered a 1066 with Narrow front end and put a 234 on it. That's a LOT of tractor for a 2 row picker!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

Darrel

Cool idea Darrel, I just store excess tires in mine.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by exSW exSW wrote:

There's a bunch of drone vids on F'book. Really neat .

Yep, there was a guy flying a drone, sure he got lots of good video. If I can find some links I'll post them here. I'm not on f-book.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 7:43am
Favorite thing to do is pick corn?  Man.....haven't put in too many good days of that.  Always see the potential for it to be fun, then, ya know, reality.  Then, shoveling the stuff into the feed grinder.  Had enough of that between ages of 10(? or <) and 40 something.  
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 8:08am
In 80's on home farm we had same picker with sheller unit mounter on a 706
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 8:11am
Again, brings back memories before combines.  For an A C farm doing some corn picking the old fashion way-check out you-tube Iowa Country Girl for more corn picking video.  For fun, remember the old ear corn storage with snow fence going 3 or 4 rings high.  Also, on you-tube, another corn field fire and combine lost on a neighbor of Laura Farms out of NE. No injuries but some serious $ loss.  Farmers just naturally know how to pull together when something bad happens.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 8:32am
Kevin asked me if I was coming back next year? Well, yeah, why not? He has a 33 that he's working on getting mounted on a WD, said it would be ready for me to run next year. I look forward to that.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 9:31am
Mike,
Harvest time In the corn fileds! Yes I remember picking with Dads WD45's and a New Idea single row picker. Droping hard ear corn into a rattle bottom gravity box. Was good going in dry field. Not so much fun when the mud was axle deep.
Thanks for the great pictures!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 9:54pm
Dad ran a New Idea single row picker with his D15 series II. He made 2 ft sides for our hay wagons, and then added extensions when he realized they could hold more! My 2 brothers and I would get home from school and pitch it in through the old window frames of a old poultry house. Once we got one end down to the floor then we could start using the corn fork. Could move some corn with it for sure but it would whip your butt pretty quickly. And if the picker didn’t get it fully shucked, he wanted that taken care of also. Lol, looking back it was hard work. I remember using snow fence as well, 2 high. That didn’t last long, mice and raccoons caused way too much damage. Later, he finally bought and built a big wire corn crib. Finally, we could shovel it into the new elevator, later came 2 gravity wagons. Awwwww now we’re talking.....lol. Good times on the farm and great memories. Used the corn to grind for feed for the cows and hogs. Also sold some as well. Guess what? Yep, we had to load the buyers truck or wagon also. Ugh
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
only AC orange View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote only AC orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 3:51am
I pick 3 gravity wagon loads for our local tractor club (Warren Area Antique Tractor Club) which we will shell next Summer at our show 4th July week end. Waiting on corn to get drier before I pick with D-15 ser. 11 and Oliver no. 5. Picker butt shells a lot because these newer hybrids are bred to shell easy. We shell with an old resurrected MM sheller, don't know model.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 5:50am
I miss picking’ too. Usually 25 to 40 acres every fall according to how much was left after filling 4 silos with silage. NI 2 row I believe a 325(?) with our 180 gas and later Case 970 and IH 966. Those smells will never be forgotten!
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 8:30am
My buddy took and posted a lot of pictures on Red Power, I poached this one because you don't see these pickers very often. New Idea No. 301, mounted on Farmall M. My uncle Dan had, and his son may still have, a David Bradley wagon just like the one pictured.

Edit; Glad you guys like the pictures.

Edited by IBWD MIke - 02 Nov 2022 at 8:30am
JSHIVERS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSHIVERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 11:13am
I did not grow up on a farm.  My father did and he sparked my interest by taking me to farm/tractor shows as a kid.  I remember seeing this type of equipment being used on small farms around Northern Indiana where I grew up as well as bigger combines.  These pics take me back to that time.  Thanks for sharing them.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 11:23am
Very good thread going on here; I love it!
Darrel
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 2:41pm
Thanks guys!
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 8:45pm
The old Allis 2 row mounted pickers got a bad rap from competition because they had no husking bed, but generally from what I remember they weren't that bad at husking.  I didn't operate one but my Dad & Uncle's did the picking, and I did a lot of hauling.  Mud was always a challenge and remember them having to wait for the ground to freeze.  Not a lot of clarence for the mud build-up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic