This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 series 1 power steering temperature??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpar55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 series 1 power steering temperature??
    Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 6:32am
I finally got a chance to use my tractor a bit yesterday, as it has been out getting hydraulic lines for the loader. I have the separate pump for the power steering on this tractor, and replaced the belt and fixed the leaks last fall which made the power steering work right again. Or so I thought. I had the tractor running for a couple of hours going through the new hydraulic system and when I went to put it back in the barn the power steering was gone! Any suggestions on why the power steering would quit after the tractor has been running a while?
1959 AC D17 Gas with some updates
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 8:24am
Better re-check it this morning to see if it fixed itself. It takes pump flow (up to 8 GPM full throttle) and a pump capable of making 1600 PSI if required to, to make the system work. Then, the control valve has to be functioning correctly, sending oil to either end of the steering cylinder when commanded to. Also has to be 5 quarts of hydraulic oil in the sump under the radiator being able to get to the pump.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 8:17pm
you replaced belt. What pump do you have for steering? Could have sheared key on pump pulley, sheared key in pump or lost oil.                        MACK
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 8:23pm
You have a 1959 D17 with belt drive power steering pump
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 10:12pm
Was there different choices? My 59 has the power steering pump attached to the rear of the generator. One belt driving the generator which turns the power steering pump.

Edited by AC720Man - 26 Oct 2022 at 10:13pm
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 6:32am
All pre-series 3 diesels were driven thru the generator, which wasn't a great idea by the pretty high failure rates of the connection splines. All early gassers were driven thru the governor. Again, not the best of designs as the governor gear works loose ruining the gear and shaft. Somewhere in that series 2 ?? gas vintage they came up with the belt driven pump. The series 3 diesels also got a belt driven pump. But, any power steering "kit" from A-C would have been old or new style design by what year the kit was put together. So, you could have a 1957 model with the newer belt driven pump if it was added on later in life.  Remember, power steering was always an OPTION, not standard equipment. Kind of like the 4-bolt WF on an old WD tractor.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 7:58am
Didn't know it was a diesel. Yes it could have sheared the coupler.           MACK
Morpar55 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpar55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 8:18am
Nope, it's a gasser. I checked the fluid level and belt tension (easy checks) and they are both fine. And when I first fire the tractor up the PS works as it should. Just once it has been running a while the power steering goes away and it's Armstrong steering! Which sucks since I have PS getting out of the barn but not putting it away which is when I REALLY need the assistance.
1959 AC D17 Gas with some updates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic