This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

185 front end differences

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 160 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 185 front end differences
    Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 6:17pm
Have 3 185 tractors and the last we bought a couple days ago has the front end that looks like it is sitting up higher. Upon closer inspection the front axle is lower down where the center pin is at the back but all looks factory. The front part of the axle where the slide out adjustments are is about 6 inches wider than the other 2. Is this factory or is this a front axle from a different model?? It is after the serial number break and has the factory crank driven oil pump but i wasn't sure if all the front is factory for the tractor. Can anyone fill me in on this? Tractor serial number is 18512942. Thanks
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 7:59pm
The crank driven oil pump requires the front axle be dropped down two or three more inches to clear the oil pan. You must have the optional narrow width axles (50 inch minimum tread) under the other two tractors and the newer one has the wider tread settings, which was standard equipment.
160 allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 160 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 8:14pm
Ok thanks, I wasn't sure. I know it has the braces at the spindle and the others don't and was lower to clear but wanted to make sure it was factory. I don't like cobbled up thrown together stuff so wanted to make sure before I went further. Another issue is I believe the power director in the low side is slipping but high side seems ok. Is there any upgraded power director clutches available? I've heard of people saying to use 7000 clutches but I don't know what I need really but I want it to hold. Also I've got a problem with the steering as it is hard to steer and only gets slightly better with over half throttle. Any ideas on what to do or what the problem is? Any ideas on where to get a really good manual that has everything in it to rebuild the tractor front to back?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 8:30pm
I don't use "clutches" from a 7000, I use the clutch discs from a 7000 power shift clutch pack. They are stronger and will never break in two like the old discs could do. They are also capable of holding more HP, which wasn't an issue but is a nice improvement. Until you do some pressure testing, you really can't make an honest assessment on what the problem is in low range, if there is a problem. Power steering pump also provides oil for the Power Director and PTO clutches, so maybe you have a hydraulic pump output issue (lack of output).
160 allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 160 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 8:42pm
Dr, how do I test for pressure? Is the power steering pump part of the hydraulic pump?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 9:00pm
Pressure testing of the Power Director is down at the brake pedal lock. Power steering/Power Director pump is the front section of the hydraulic pump, which is a triple pump all bolted together.
160 allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 160 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 9:08pm
Ok, I guess I'll start with checking output pressure of the pump. I don't have a manual, do you know what the pressure should be coming out of the pump? And what should the pressure be at the power director by the brake lock?
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 11:13am
You CAN'T proper diagnose a problem without experience unless you have a proper service manual. Anyone working on anything they haven't done before SHOULD get a service manual first instead of shooting in the dark. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 1:19pm
The manifold that the brake lock mechanism is mounted on, has two 1/8" allen head pipe plugs. One is for LOW range the other is for HIGH range. The pressures should be the same for each, say 250 psi or maybe 275 psi, but they should be the same at half throttle or more. The steering is another issue and lack of pressure may or may not be your problem. Check the Power Director first as it uses the same pump as the steering.
160 allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 160 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 7:01pm
Ok thanks Dr. I had a buddy bring a manual over for his and hooked up to the t under the instrument panel. I'm getting way too much pressure! It says run it at 2000 rpm after hooking up the the t fitting. Says the relief pressure can be checked with power director and pto controls in neutral position. I'm supposed to have 280-295 psi but mine is bouncing from 1000 down to almost nothing then 3000 back and forth. My control rod for the power director is set correctly at 1 1/2 inch so that's correct but I've got too much pressure. Anyone ever had this problem?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 7:27pm
I told you where to start and it wasn't there. Sounds like it's 3 gallons low on hydraulic oil.

Edited by DrAllis - 06 Jan 2022 at 7:31pm
160 allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 160 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 7:52pm
Sorry Dr, it's full of fluid but I didn't have the fittings to hook up to the ports that you told me. I'm getting those in the morning sometime. I gotta do some cleaning on the relief valves as I found junk in there and stuff but I'll clean and hook up like you said and go from there. Also, would different weight or wrong weight fluid give issues? Looked like different fluid than what is in the other 185 and looks heavier but not sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic