This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

185 / snap coupler plow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 185turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 185 / snap coupler plow
    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 8:51pm
Got a 185 and got a old 3/14 snap coupler plow. I want to put them together so i can plow my garden. Has anyone got any experience or pictures on converting a snap coupler plow to 3pt ? I want it to work right thanks
185 turbocharged w/ 500 loader , WD
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:05pm
I'm junking a older AC plow Plow with a AC three point on it. In Missouri.
185turbo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 185turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 5:07pm
Has anyone converted a plow from sc to 3pt? Thanks
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 5:31pm
Which snap-coupler plow do you have ??   You say 3 x 14's, so is it a plow for a WD-45?? which is a 50 series model.  Not sure A-C made that series in a 3 pt version ??
185turbo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 185turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 8:03pm
Not sure what model it is i guess. I had it on a early d17 diesel. How do you tell what model it is? Didn’t see a plate on it
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 8:20pm
The plow I have was a SC converted to 3pt.       MACK
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 9:17pm
Go to the Home page. Next section down from Farm Equipment is Farm Equipment-Knowledge Base. Click into this and scroll down to "AC Plow Parts 101".  Down near the bottom of this section is a very good 20 minute video of all the different plow frames.
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 7:41am
Look in the Classifieds section.  There's a fellow in Kansas wanting to sell a #83 3-point plow.  
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 5:35pm
Sadly, I just can not envision a "true" snap coupler plow being able to "engage" with the underbelly of a 185 ?? The "lift arms"  possibly, but not the "underbelly hoop" Wink
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:07pm
Look fer the plow # on the top of the frame rail on LH side.
185turbo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 185turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 4:57pm
The plow has 60 stamped on the top lh frame. I watched the video on the knowledge base and according to that it is a 50 series plow because the arms that go down to the shares are at a 90 degree angle instead of a forward angle. Can anyone explain that?

Does anyone have a picture of a plow converted from sc to 3pt?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 5:25pm
If you watched the good video, and have 90 degree (straight up and down) vertical beams, it is a 50 series plow and that pretty much settles it. To convert over to a Category #2  three-point hitch would require custom fabrication because, when this plow was built (1950's) the Category #2 three-point hitch hadn't been designed by anyone just yet. Your tractor is category #2, that can be narrowed up to Category #1, which did exist in the 1950's on Ford and Massey Ferguson tractors.  I don't believe A-C ever offered a 50-series plow in any type of 3-point hitch configuration, so that leaves you to fab it up yourself or hire someone to do it. Can it be done ?? Sure it can. Bring it to me and I'll do it for you. Or, just find another plow that is correct.
185turbo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 185turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 6:57pm
I got a welder and metal so thats no problem.
One question... should the pins that hook to the lower 3pt arms be inline or should they be offset ( lower on the right hand side) ?
Thanks
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 7:09pm
Lower on the right side (sitting in the seat) by about 2 inches would work. As long as your lifting links on the tractor are adjustable up and down. The goal is have the plow level side to side and front to back while plowing AFTER the first round (opening) is made so the right drive tire is in the furrow. Wheel tread needs to be out a little bit so the front bottom is making a full cut.  I think your tractor owners manual may have a page that shows the front of a plow and the hitch dimensions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic