This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

373 AC Snap Coupler Plow 4 forrow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 373 AC Snap Coupler Plow 4 forrow
    Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 8:54pm
I heard AC made a 4 furrow lift plow that lifts right up on the snap coupler with only a depth control wheel on the back. This plow was reinforced with an extra beam on the top.
Was this just a 3 furrow model 373? plow with an extra furrow added to it with the beam across the top for extra strength. Does anyone have any pictures of this type of plow....and what tractor used plow 45's and 17's? did this plow do a good job?

Jim
Sponsored Links

Jason(OH) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 9:19pm

AC made the 70 & 80 series plows in 4 bottom fully mounted. I've never seen one mounted on a 45 or D-17. I don't think they had the lifting capability for that size plow. Our #83 fully mounted plow makes the front of our WD-45D light just moving it around the yard. My dad had a #74 fully mounted plow when I was a kid. He pulled it with a D-19D and still had to have 2 or 3 slab weights on the front.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I think it would be awfully hard on hydraulic pumps on a 45 or D-17 (at least a Series I or Series II with the cam driven pump in the torque tube).
Chris/CT View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris/CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 9:32pm
Brochure shows fully mounted #64 and #74 [ listed for D17] with the sq. beem mounted on top of plow frames.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 9:52pm
This is Mike's (AKA Skihighballoon) four bottom behind his D17 ser-4 with Rick C. at the wheel. I have seen it at work, the D17 handles it A-OK.
Don
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 10:08pm
Here's Ted's WD45-D pulling a four bottom semi mount.
Don
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 10:26pm
It would be a 73, not a 373. But they made a similar 63 and 83, the differences being that the 73 and 83 frames are adjustable for width, and the 83 has trips on the shanks that the 63 doesn't have.

Gerald J.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 10:28pm
Or a 64. 74, or 84. Some of those frames were bolted together of bent iron pieces, virtually the same pieces whether 2 or 5 bottom. The bigger plows got the trailing wheel and the brace beam on top.

Gerald J.
Jason(OH) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 11:36pm
I guess everyone misunderstood me. I wasn't trying to say that a 45 or D-17 wouldn't pull a 4 bottom plow, they were both rated as such in certain soil conditions. I was questioning weither a 45 or D-17 ,especially a 45, would be able to lift a 4 bottom fully mounted plow without having to have a bunch of weights stacked on the front. I would think a 4 bottom fully mounted plow would make a WD-45 pretty light in the front, as I said our #73 makes our WD-45D light in front. In this area our heavy, sticky clay soil works the a** off of a 45 or D-17 (gas or diesel). We have to drop back to 3 bottoms if we don't want to tear something up.  
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 6:23am

A WD45 never would have been offered with a 70's series plow, only 50 or 60 series which were a little lighter and shorter coupled. The 70 series was born during the D17's era.  Yes, both WD45 and D17 needed some kind of front end weight added (fluid in tires, frt wheel donuts, stack weights, etc).

Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 6:28am
I pull a 70 series 4 x 14 fully mounted with a series 1 D17 without a problem but I have 5 suitcase weights on a bracket from a 190 or 200. Hydraulics lifts it just fine. It's a head turner at the local threshing show when an 880 or 70 John Deere have a tough time pulling a 3 x 16 pull-type and I walk right by in 2nd gear low range with that fully mounted 4 bottom.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 7:26am
Yep - I pull that 4-14's 74 plow in 2nd with my Series IV.  I made my own simple weight bracket out of 3 inch channel.  I have four 75 lb Hundred series slab weights out front for 300 lbs plus the front tires (6.00X16) are filled with -20 washer fluid for another 100 lbs...400 total and it's just barely enough.  I found a Hundred series slab weight last year for $50 so I may pull off the slab weights, put on the base weight and then put 2 of the 4 slabs on it....should get me another 100 lbs.   But I may rework the front end pivot bushing first before I do that...it's getting pretty loose.  Mike
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 7:54am
Some seem to do it -- to make it worthwhile, need the right weights and the right soil.
Man, I love listening to Teds WD45-D under load. She really growls sweet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic