This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

190XT will not go in high gear anymore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youngorange2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 190XT will not go in high gear anymore
    Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 6:48pm
a while back I bought a 66 190xt with a smoked turbo, before I bought it I drove it around in all the gears and they all went in well and stayed. The only problem was it had a very slight want to creep in PD neutral in 1st gear only. I put a good turbo on it and had been using it with out problem, the other day I was disking and about 5 mins in I smelled hot/burning oil coming from the rear end so I checked the trans stick and it was empty and smoking... the tractor has a slight rear axle leak and in the past 9 hours and out of that 4 were disking it only used maybe a quart. I had checked and it was full only 20 mins before I started the tractor. I'm wondering if the seals got hot and finally gave out lost the oil and welded/bound something? 45 mins later I came back to the tractor and filled it again and started to drive home, got on the road and it will not go into 7/8 it sits and starts to engage then pops out and grinds. high/low rpm always at a dead stop oddly enough all other gears shift perfectly. I have sense put 146-85 in the transmission and it seems to be staying but I have only run the tractor only about an hour and a half and have already had to add another quart Question #1 is what do you think is causing it to not want to go into 7/8 #2 is it possible to replace the axle seals without removing the whole axle housing
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 7:24pm
Each of the axles belong to the left/right final drive compartment. Their oil level is a check plug under the lift arm cylinders on the 3-point hitch. The oil level is to be at the centerline of the axle shaft itself. I think you have a final (or both) waaaaaay overfull of oil and the transmission is waaaaaay low on oil and you have fried the pinion bearings in the transmission.
youngorange2000 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youngorange2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 8:20pm
mine doesn't have a 3 point so would those plugs be below the sediment bowls? why would olny one gear set go if the main bearings are gone in the transmission?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 6:07am
You didn't say how much transmission oil you had to add to get it back to full after this getting "hot" incident.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 7:44am
Pinion bearing could be so loose that shift collar don't line up with input shaft.             MACK
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:38am
This is why everyone who has a tractor should have an owners manual....and read it.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote youngorange2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 11:15am
I have read my parts,service, and opporators manuals about 3 times when I rebuilt my series 3 this spring
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 11:18am
You still haven't said how many gallons low the transmission was on oil.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youngorange2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 11:21am
I added just under 5 gallons to the trans mission, what I don't get is where it all had to go between starting and driving to the field and started disking? kinda odd for almost 5 gallons to go within 20 mins? and let me guess you cant get at those barings without pulling the pinion gears out the back and top and splitting at the rear end?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 11:26am
My theory is this.....the axle that is leaking oil is overfull. That sides axle cover plug inside the rear end has fallen out of place allowing the transmission oil to drain into the final drive. The bolt on the end of the axle inside may have backed off forcing the cover plug out of place. If you check both final drives oil levels I'll bet you'll get 5 gallons of oil out the fill hole. Pinion bearing failure could be very expensive, and I can't say I've ever had that happen on a mighty One-Ninety. The whole rear end must be torn down after you split it away from the torque housing.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youngorange2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 11:32am
I guess the first step will be draining the finals and measuring what comes out. thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic