This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skunks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neal (scMN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skunks
    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 1:36pm
Is there anything that I can put in a live trap that will attract a skunk but not cats? I have good luck attracting raccoons with marshmallows, I even caught 2 at one time.
A skunk was up by our hose eating cat food so I didn't want to shoot it there and  when it left it stayed tight  to the side of the house and got away into the dark.
If I can't find anything else to put in the trap I will use cat food and move farther away from the house where I don't normally see the cats.
Sponsored Links

JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 1:46pm
I use cat food, caught one with apple slices. You will only catch a cat once, let it go and he won't go in it ever again.  Wooden box traps work best, skunk won't spray if he can't see you, just don't take long looking in the wire end to see what it is.Wink
Maximum use of available resources!
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 6:53pm
Not true I got the same Cat twice he was realy mad. Caught a couple of the other cats once.
Neal (scMN) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neal (scMN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 6:58pm
I also caught the same cat 3 times.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 7:35pm
Y'all gots some dumb cats.LOL  Maybe you didn't leave it in there long enough.
Maximum use of available resources!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 7:53pm
spray kitty with a hose, prior to release, to smarten him up.  With skunks in live traps, (when you got it in the trap), wrap trap with a tarp.  A skunk can't spray, if he can't raise his tail, so keep the trap on the smallish side...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 8:05pm
I have got them in empty traps.---cat food works best, but have to set trap far away from cat territory, and yes cats will go in more than once! ----makes skunk trapping hard!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 9:53pm
Peanut Butter
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 9:43pm
Set the trap where you can see whats in it from a safe distance. If it's too close to the house, have a long piece of rope tied to the trap so you can pull it to a safe spot. A .22 will do the job.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 11:44am
I may trade you for the coons and bear that I am having a run in with right now.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Neal (scMN) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neal (scMN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 2:35pm
I got 4 coons one night. Two were in the trap and 2 were outside the trap trying to get in. That made 5 for this summer.
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 12:22am
Maybe use a raw egg for bait.
 Cats don't eat raw eggs but I've seen skunks go for them in the barn.

Ammonia will keep most of those pests away for up to 3 weeks.
 just pour some around areas you don't want them.
 I'm not sure how the cats feel about it,... or bears.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic