This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

vegetable gardens

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vegetable gardens
    Posted: 30 May 2019 at 12:39pm
Ours are doing great, even with all the rain.  The raised beds are producing best because of good drainage.  A 4X50 Raised Bed of Blue Lake Snap Beans made nearly 2 bushel in two times over.   The third pick will be pull them up and strip off what's left.
    Plenty summer squash of all kinds, Salad Peppers, Cucumbers,  Beets and carrots to go with the last two little pigs I butchered last Sunday
    Wife and I have a bunch of green  beans to snap and blanch for freezing right after lunch. Then she plans to bake Zuchinni Bread
Sponsored Links

FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 1:07pm
I am sittin here eating lunch and imagining that taste of fresh peas... and the slight sweetness of the Z bread... 

Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 1:49pm
Wow Ken, your garden is that far along? I just put my peppers and tomatoes in the last 2 weekends over here in Midland. Hope it does better than last year.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 2:16pm
My back garden that I plant sweet corn in is so wet I haven't been able to till it, hope we don't have a early fall. My other garden has two rows of early corn in tomatoes, peppers, peas, acorn squash and Spaghetti squash and sweet potatoes. Behind the railroad ties along the drive, they're about 3' high, we have green beans, strawberries, Asparagus, Zucchini and some red beets so far will plant more green beans later.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 3:18pm
JC, Ted you guys got any icicles up yet, or are you going for vegetable soup. Going to try and get everything in by the end of this weekend.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 9:25pm
Planted our tiny patch today.  Ground was almost too wet to do it.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 6:01am
still too wet here,sigh, haven't had THREE days in a row without rain....arrgh...
Bridal's wreath Spirea isn't up so can't plant tenders....too wet to till...NOW I KNOW firsthand the lament of true farmers....
If this keeps up then I'll shoot myself for NOT buying the 30*120' greenhouse('some assy reqd') last fall.

Maybe I should tear 'Troy' apart  fix the leaky diff seal ? With my luck Mr. Sun will come out and I'll need the D-14 PDQ.
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 8:51am
Most of our garden drowned out. --- NOT gonna replant, too late for most stuff here. When hot weather hits, the tender plants can't hack the heat. If plants are big/tuff they are ok, but seedlings don't stand a chance.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 9:41am
Spose to get to 88 today then drop down to low 70's for a couple then creep back to mid 80's mid week. What a roller coaster, I smell trouble.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 12:49am
it's getting harder to find gardens where I can ste....uh...borrow produce from!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 8:53am
Shammers, that called forbidden fruit. Wink
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 2:28pm
And Shamer that will get you lead posionin 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 7:32pm
I finally tiiled twice before noon and wife got onion sets in, then it rained....arrgh, just lighly but long and more on the way.
Someone grab the 'machine's ' keys so Shameless can't run it anymore, pleeeeeeze.
jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 9:00pm
I put taters in the ground April 16th. Haven't been able to walk in the garden since. I did get down there last week and hoe around the Kennebecs from the edge of the grass.
 I may get it tilled again yet Monday and plant my special heirloom green beans if it doesn't rain tonight.
 I have blossoms on my "patio" tomatoes, but just got one of my heirloom Red Brandywines out in my sand patch Thursday. It's only about a month behind last years.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 9:20pm
Way down here along I20 we plant Irish Tater seed pieces on Presidents Day. Feb 15th. I dug my Kennebeck whites and my Lasota reds between soaking rains last week. Nothing to brag about tater crop this year. Time to find some new tater ground for next year.
      C Tuck tell me more about the heirloom green bean you grow. Is it a pole or bush variety?  I presume you save some bean seed so not to loose the something special about them.   

Edited by Ken in Texas - 01 Jun 2019 at 9:22pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 4:09am
we planted our taters in old stock tanks this year. put broken bales of straw in the bottom, potting soil and de-smelled cow chit on the top. they seem to be growing good as of yesterday!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Ken in Texas Ken in Texas wrote:

C Tuck tell me more about the heirloom green bean you grow. Is it a pole or bush variety?  I presume you save some bean seed so not to loose the something special about them.   

Almost 40 years ago, Dad found a tenderpod stringless bush bean that he liked. Mom liked them too and found if she french cut and blanched them for the freezer, they were nearly as good a s fresh. They are great for canning too, they way I like em.
 Anyway, Dad couldn't get that seed the next year, so he pick some stragglers from what was left in the garden. He kept them going till his last garden in 2008 and my brother and I have been keeping them going, saving some for seed every year.
 I call The RST beans, Dad's initials Wink or Roberts Stringless Tenderpod.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 5:33pm
Roberts String-less Tender-pod.   RST Beans for short.   It's fun to hear stories like that. I guess to keep the strain pure you must isolate your patch to keep your RSTs from being cross pollinated by other bean varieties.

I guess you know what Cowpeas are. We grow several cowpea cultivars for the green shell market. There are a few families I know that have their favorite and let 1 row go unpicked for shelling dry for next year. Names like Black Eye. Pink Eye, Creams and Crowders are a few we grow every year. Actually not a Pea but a Bean
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 9:16am
I have never grown any other variety of bean since I've been keeping these seeds back and there aren't any green beans within a mile or 2 of me in any other gardens.
 From a google search on bean pollination, "Most beans do in fact self-pollinate before they open, and for many varieties of beans cross-pollination is indeed a rare occurrence."
 That being said, about 5 years ago, I had one plant that produced the same looking bean, but it had the burgundy color on the whole seed. All the others have white seeds with flecks of burgundy around the germ. I kept those separate, just to see what grew from them, but never ended up planting them. They are still probably tucked away somewhere? I assumed it was a throw back to generations before, but don't know.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic