This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When to pull the plug on corn planting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When to pull the plug on corn planting
    Posted: 31 May 2019 at 6:15am
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

gotta remember back in the day, crop rotation was normal, along with livestock of some sort on most farms where I grew up. we knew in the fall what fields the next spring were going to be planted for silage, they manured heavy early fall, then the following year corn again for grain,and fodder, fall plow, next spring oats-alfalfa.
the hybrids were Kaltenberg, Renk, and Spangler for silage. Pioneer, Dekalb, Crows, and Northrup King for grain.

Our crop rotation was corn/corn/corn for at least 18 years in a row back then LOL!!  dad farrowed to finished 100's of hogs back then and relied on the corn for feed. Robinson/Price, O's GOLD and a little Jaques(?) over the years 
Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 8:16pm
gotta remember back in the day, crop rotation was normal, along with livestock of some sort on most farms where I grew up. we knew in the fall what fields the next spring were going to be planted for silage, they manured heavy early fall, then the following year corn again for grain,and fodder, fall plow, next spring oats-alfalfa.
the hybrids were Kaltenberg, Renk, and Spangler for silage. Pioneer, Dekalb, Crows, and Northrup King for grain.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 8:06pm
more than likely 90-95 day. 30 years ago 100 day was very rare, only the very daring would plant a bit of it.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

I remember more than once, planting in mid-June and still getting a decent crop. Maybe not a 'bin-buster', but still very good. Those years nearly everyone was 'diversified' in what their farming operation was.

Do you recall the maturity by any chance? Dad planted corn on June 9 in 1972 as my mother and then 1-day-old sister were still in the hospital after sis's birth and dad HAD to get the corn in the ground, it was harvested for ear corn back then Smile
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 1:53pm
I remember more than once, planting in mid-June and still getting a decent crop. Maybe not a 'bin-buster', but still very good. Those years nearly everyone was 'diversified' in what their farming operation was.
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 8:29pm
Plant more soybeans......LOL
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

We got hit with more flooding the last couple of days, also high winds.--some of the corn that did get planted came up.---IF it produces anything or not is the next problem!----it's not in the bin yet!
There are an awful lot of bare fields in this area right now. ---The biggest problem here is the greedy guys that have ousted us little guys, and can't cover the 40,00 acres they farm!--in a way it serves these guys right!---course they are the ones getting govt. handouts, so it would make them more money if they don't plant!---A bad deal for the little family guys and getting worse every year! -- Really sad!

I don't even want to comment on the "BTO'S" issues, a little truth to your "serves right" statement Confused
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 11:30am
Lots of small acreage plots around here managed to get planted between rains, most of those on terraced hillsides, bottoms are still a mud pit and will remain so until we get a full week of sunshine AND the river goes down, that is looking as some time NEXT month.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 10:48am
Some corn got planted in this area yesterday.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 9:25am
We got hit with more flooding the last couple of days, also high winds.--some of the corn that did get planted came up.---IF it produces anything or not is the next problem!----it's not in the bin yet!
There are an awful lot of bare fields in this area right now. ---The biggest problem here is the greedy guys that have ousted us little guys, and can't cover the 40,00 acres they farm!--in a way it serves these guys right!---course they are the ones getting govt. handouts, so it would make them more money if they don't plant!---A bad deal for the little family guys and getting worse every year! -- Really sad!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

June 10 is absolute deadline, even then you end up with late super wet, un-mature grain.

I ma a bit North of you and on the west side of the State. I talked to the neighbor Saturday, and he is swapping out his full season corn that didn't get planted, for some shorter season corn and will  plant up to the 15th of June.
 We have more than half of his corn in and it's up, but the rest of the patches that were going to be corn all have ponds and wet spots we will have to work around IF it ever dries out again
 My best guess is, it will be the 15th before we can get back in the field if it stops raining now. We have rain in the forecast for all but 1 day for the next week. Ouch
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 4:02pm
I sure feel for you guys that don't know if your coming or going anymore. I am currently trying to cut a grass hay crop that got way too much water. Wet years are a real pain  Embarrassed.

Wink But then deal 3 or 4, or 7 or 10 years that are all below normal. It's not that bad dealing with weeds that didn't die, or that there are more things I didn't plant than things I did..................because there is plenty to keep the cows. Maybe dream of buying some more.

When I was young I think we would have some "normal" years.It seems evey year is "special" anymore.LOLLOLLOL

I pray you see any opportunity that mite pop up and not miss it as I did when dealing with the most non normal year in my farming. 
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 12:02pm
I planted corn April 19-20-21, little earlier than I would have liked. The forecast at the time had rain starting on the 22nd for the rest of the 10-day, so I wanted to get it in the ground. Well, we didn't get all that rain but the cold came in. Took about two weeks for it to come up, missed a frost that would have killed everything so the slow germination was good. Looks great now, feel kind of bad even posting that with all the problems people are having this year. Planted my beans on May 16th, only dry day we had in that time-frame. The beauty of a small operation and a 12 row planter! Only had the tractor in the shed about 5 minutes before the rain started!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Brian F(IL) Brian F(IL) wrote:

$!**#@B____
Well said right there.  I'm about 85% done with everything I intended to do.  And on hold for at least 5 days I would guess given the rain that went through Sat morning and this morning.  High of 53 for today.  I feel somewhat lucky I got the corn and beans in that I do.  My biggest concern right now is my hay fields, they look terrible!  Newest seeding got about 10% winter killed thanks to ice laying on it for weeks, what isn't killed they all are way behind due to cold weather. 
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 11:16am
Tbone, mine was in the ground for 9 days, but we're probably a little warmer than what you are.  A little less than 1/2 of mine is planted.  The remaining ground may get switched to soybeans.  We're still 4-5 days away from being dry enough to get back in the fields.  That's if, we don't get any more in the next 2-3 days, which we are!!! $!**#@B____
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 9:06am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Well , as of this evening, 5/27/'19, my hopes of at theast of planting our corn by this weekend is literally a wash, no pun intended Cry. After tonight's deluge, we won't even be able to walk in the field let alone drag a planter for at least another week Stern Smile.
Well, mine has been in the ground between 7 and 11 days, and no sign of it yet.  We have missed some of the very heavy rainfalls, but it's dang cold up here. 
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 1:01am
FYI     I put 2 more of those feral green corn choppers in the freezer Sunday.  There are a plenty more of a suitable size to make for good eating still out there.   My front yard within  10 feet of my front door got all rooted up real bad last night.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 11:20pm
It's no consolation but remember you are not alone....
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 6:19pm
Well , as of this evening, 5/27/'19, my hopes of at theast of planting our corn by this weekend is literally a wash, no pun intended Cry. After tonight's deluge, we won't even be able to walk in the field let alone drag a planter for at least another week Stern Smile.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 11:52am
Me and my Uncle Ambrose had planted silage corn as late as July 4 th and came out alright, but for silage
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 2:31pm
Just keep catching and eating the hogs Ken
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 3:41pm
I'm pulling the plug on planting corn until all Feral Hogs around here are dead and gone. They found both my plantings of Truckers Favorite  Yellow and White and  rooted it out one row at a time during the night.  These patches were both knee high and are no more in just two nights.    They acted like all they were interested in was what was left of the seed.  Very few actual stalks were chomped in two. Sorta like what the Crows do when it first sprout.    This leaves nothing for Roastin Ears or Corn Meal for my hard work.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:49am
"no yield" - hahaha, well that's a relative statement, isn't it?  May be a waste to throw 300 lbs. of Nitrogen on it, that's for sure.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 8:43am
Short season kind is a waste of time.--no yield, at least not in this area. June 10 is absolute deadline, even then you end up with late super wet, un-mature grain. Best to go all beans, or whatever else would grow in your area this year. Not a good year this time for sure!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 7:26am
Since I only plant sweet corn for myself I put in 4 rows of 75 day and 4 rows of 100 day. When I've planted early they both ripen at the same time . If I plant after Memorial Day the 75 day gets a head start. It realy depends on the sol temp when you plant. I'm pretty far north 60 to Canada to early and you will be replanting.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 7:23am
I've got 91 day corn in the ground up here, finished Sat night.  Still have some silage corn to put in, but I've done that on the 4th of July before! LOL  Everyone here talking about it knows this, but let's say it, it all depends on the fall.  Labor Day rolls around, and it's still tickling the 70's or more, you can make it.  Get a cold September and you're screwed.   I've had both of those scenarios up here within the last 3 years. 3 years ago, the end of August and September were so cool, we had terrible test weight.  The feed mill I usually sell to wouldn't buy anyone's corn from the area, as when dried, there was nothing left.  Then 2 years ago, was a bit late as last year we had freezing temps and snow well into May, was nervous about maturity in Sep, Sep was in the 70's plus and things finished out nicely. 

Up here, there is no way I'd ever mess with maturities over 100 for grain corn.  Some do, but I don't have the risk tolerance for it.  I've yielded 175 on 89-91 day, and that's profitable.  So many other factors, rainfall, heat, the fall.  Think about your most typical frost date, use the calendar, and count back.  The insurance dates are established for a reason.

I was able to get on my fields alright, which was somewhat surprising.  I guess my farm missed some of the bigger rains.  I'm just worried about soil temp, it's still pretty cool.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 6:56am
short season corn does not yield as well as the longer season hybreds.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 6:24am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

OK, I'd like to ask, would it not be better to always plant 'short season' corn ? I've almost got the wife reading labels for the veggies as we can't plant until June 1st, so 3 months later ...Sept, I FINALLY get fresh veggies...
With a shorter season, it'd allow the field to be fallow and recoup better ?

Curious Canuck Jay

When it came order time, I had 2- 100 day #'s picked out and got shot down by both dad AND the salesman Geek
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 5:37am
OK, I'd like to ask, would it not be better to always plant 'short season' corn ? I've almost got the wife reading labels for the veggies as we can't plant until June 1st, so 3 months later ...Sept, I FINALLY get fresh veggies...
With a shorter season, it'd allow the field to be fallow and recoup better ?

Curious Canuck Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:08pm
YOUNG CORN SEEDLING COMFORT usually prevails, along with a IT’s uniform plant density. For this reason, PLANTING patience & timing is so IMPORTANT!
After planting, it’s anyone’s guess what Mother Nature has in store for the remainder of the growing season. But with that being said, many modern day corn hybrids exhibit better performance characteristics.

To that end, I’d take a comfortable June 1-15th planting date versus most cold wet harser earlier April or May planting date. However, if your soils are darker & well drained (field grid-tiled), then an earlier cold wet weather may be better tolerated, thus establishing better seedling comfort.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic