This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Off Color Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off Color Question
    Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:09pm
I had a malfunction with my 7740 new Holland today. I was bush hogging and looked back and noticed the bush hog was no longer turning. This tractor doesn't have a PTO lever, it has a knob to turn to engage the PTO ( it's electrical). I noticed the indicator light wasn't on, so I thought it come disengaged somehow. I tried to engage it over and over and no luck. Then I noticed the cab was getting warmer. I felt the air coming out of the vents and it was warm, the AC was gone. Then I noticed the alternator light on, and then the temp was climbing way high. At this point I suspected the fan belt broke, so I rushed back to the barn. Sure enough, the fan belt was broke. That explains everything except the PTO stop working.

After the tractor cooled off, I removed the old belt and checked all pulleys. I started the tractor and it cranked right up (battery's not dead). The PTO still wouldn't engage. So what's up? My only answer is a blown fuse. I do have to get a new belt, but I'm afraid that won't fix the PTO, or will it? I know the alternator can't be working without a belt. Maybe that will make enough current to engage the PTO, or will it? I'm lost when it comes to electrical problems, so any help appreciated.    
Sponsored Links

Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:06am
Replace the belt. It will fix your pto
Jon NW Iowa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon NW Iowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 1:17pm
I had the belt go in the middle of the field while chiseling this fall. Water pump caused it. Check that before ruining another belt.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Jordan(OH) Jordan(OH) wrote:

Replace the belt. It will fix your pto

Just curious. What does the belt have to do with the PTO? Hydraulic pump maybe?
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 9:02pm
Just guessing, but the alternator may need to be putting out voltage in order for the pto to work. The electric clutch may work directly off the alternator output and not the battery. New belt will probably fix it. 
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 6:50am
Originally posted by AC720Man AC720Man wrote:

Just guessing, but the alternator may need to be putting out voltage in order for the pto to work. The electric clutch may work directly off the alternator output and not the battery. New belt will probably fix it. 
I'd say that's a very logical guess!
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by AC720Man AC720Man wrote:

Correct
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic