This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis B: Installing Distributor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joemckna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis B: Installing Distributor
    Posted: 18 May 2018 at 12:15pm
Had a lot of issues trying to get my 48 B in time. Noticed a lot of play in the distributor and remove it to check gears. No oil in the reservoir and the the gears were chewed. Found a rebuilt DELCO REMY 1111411 (cross reference 1111735) on e-Bay that I picked up. Was just looking for a few tips in terms of re-installing this distributor correctly. Want to make sure I cover all of my bases. Thanks in advance! 

Sponsored Links

B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 4:29pm
When you say rebuilt and e-bay in the same sentence makes me tremble.  If I were you I would take the plate the points secure to off and make sure the advance works. I would also look at the gears and see what that all looks like as far as lube.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 8:26pm
basically you need to point to open when the motor is at TDC on #1 cylinder.. When the advance kicks in, it will go to the FIRE mark.

So you rotate the motor over with your finger over the #1 spark plug hole and note when it is coming up on compression... continue to rotate about 90 degrees until you see the TDC mark in the timing hole ( flywheel mark).... OK, this is where the distributor is about to open the point...  turn the distributor shaft until the point starts to open, ( look at the pointer on top and put toward the plug wire you want to be #1) ...then slide the distributor into the hole.. after the teeth engage, rotate the distributor slightly to see that the point is just starting to open.. if it don't open, pull up a couple inches then rotate the dist shaft slightly and reinstall in the next tooth.. Do this a couple times until you get the distributor point just starting to open... then lock the bolt in place..

another test is to rotate the motor around 2 revolutions, then come up to FIRE mark instead of the TDC mark... now you can turn the distributor shaft against the advance springs to the ADVANCE position, and the point should be starting to open.. This will happen when the motor is running, and the centrifugal weights throw outward.

Edited by steve(ill) - 18 May 2018 at 8:28pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 9:17pm
If you can't see the timing marks; remove plugs and place finger over #1 hole. Rotate engine until you feel compression. Insert length of wire, or electrical tie in cylinder until it contact the piston. Rotate engine until piston is at TDC. Install distributor so the rotor is pointing where you want #1 spark plug wire to be. Install cap and the wires (Firing order is 1-2-4-3 Clockwise). Fire the old gal up, run at 1/2 throttle and fine tune the timing by rotating distributor clockwise until it loads up, then rotate it CCW until it loads up again, rotate the distributor 1/2 way between the two points and tighten it down.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 8:28am
The reason why the mainshaft gear on the Distributor was shot was because the Distributor Oilite bushing was worn out. When the wobble starts, the gear wears. Also as the wobble continues to get worst, the points rub block also wears which drastically changes the dwell on the points, which it turn makes the engine worst as time goes on. When servicing the drive unit itself, remove the three 5/16" bolts, coil bracket and coil, and clean out the old grease. A little Brakekleen does a great job in cleaning out the "muck" in the drive cavity. Refill the drive cavity with Lubriplate No.105. This is a nice creamy lubricant grease that stays in the gears and will last for a loooong time. I use it in our rebuilt Distributor drives we offer. Make sure the Distributor you purchased isn't worn like the one you already have. You'll wind up with the same problems. We offer rebuilt Distributors exchange if interested.....
Steve@B&B
bb-customcircuits.com
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 9:48pm
joemckna,  Listen closely to all that is said above.  You are very fortunate to have received advice from some of the best mechanics on the Forum.
Take good care of my favorite.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
joemckna View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joemckna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:50am
Originally posted by B26240 B26240 wrote:

When you say rebuilt and e-bay in the same sentence makes me tremble.  If I were you I would take the plate the points secure to off and make sure the advance works. I would also look at the gears and see what that all looks like as far as lube.

I'm also fairly cautious when it comes to rebuilt parts, particularly on e-Bay, but the part was rebuilt completely, and properly. Seller included pics of disassembly, reassembly, as well as pictures of each individual internal part. It was a good buy, and after inspecting it myself, I got a great deal on it. so now worries there. Thx!
joemckna View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joemckna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

The reason why the mainshaft gear on the Distributor was shot was because the Distributor Oilite bushing was worn out. When the wobble starts, the gear wears. Also as the wobble continues to get worst, the points rub block also wears which drastically changes the dwell on the points, which it turn makes the engine worst as time goes on. When servicing the drive unit itself, remove the three 5/16" bolts, coil bracket and coil, and clean out the old grease. A little Brakekleen does a great job in cleaning out the "muck" in the drive cavity. Refill the drive cavity with Lubriplate No.105. This is a nice creamy lubricant grease that stays in the gears and will last for a loooong time. I use it in our rebuilt Distributor drives we offer. Make sure the Distributor you purchased isn't worn like the one you already have. You'll wind up with the same problems. We offer rebuilt Distributors exchange if interested.....
Steve@B&B
bb-customcircuits.com

Thank you for the information and the part resource (if needed). I appreciate it!
joemckna View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joemckna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:53am
Thank you all! I'm looking to get some time in on the B over the weekend and will report back. Glad to be on the forum, and thanks again for the information. Greatly appreciate it!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic