This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

maple syrup filtering with milk?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: maple syrup filtering with milk?
    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 4:01pm
Year one for me is winding down. Had a very good time and learned alot. My question is-I have read about people filtering their syrup with milk to get super clear syrup. Has anyone tried it? I read where someone said to mix the milk when cold so you can mix it better and the milk won't cook as fast. I did this on one batch and got the cloudiest syrup ever. Even tried adding some later when it was boiling. Any idea how I messed up?
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Sponsored Links

Randy WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 6:21pm
I have heard of people doing that  but I haven't tried it I think a maple syrup filter is easier. I new an old guy that told a story about him and his dad buying maple sap from the Indians  they had a big cooker going boiling sap he went and looked in it and they were cooking muskrats in the sap this was in the very early 1900 s so don't know if I would believe every thing you hear. Randy
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 6:56pm
I took it and cooked it to just boiling, all kinds of gunk on top. skimmed it off and filtered again through cloth. It is now lighter and alot clearer. I gained alot of respect for you guys that are doing hundreds of gallons! Randy what do you use for a filter? 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Randy WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 7:18pm
WE use a syrup bag  when we are pouring off works good. I think the way milk is supposed to work when you pour milk into hot sap it curdles and picks up the crud in the syrup I think you do this just before the syrup is done. Randy
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 8:04pm
I have never tried milk to clean syrup. Guess I was always concerned about getting the milk and the syrup separated? I would suggest a cone filter and several prefilters. Most syrup equipment will have these.
We have moved from the cone filters to a power filter system to allow more syrup to be filtered quicker. We are small and only make 100 to 150 gallons per season.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Snowvalley Dairy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowvalley Dairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 8:38pm
I've never even heard of using milk to filter syrup. I have always used cone filters they work great. i make 75-100 gallons a year.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 6:11am
Sugarmaker that is what happened. I mixed it into cold sap and it never cleared up. We decided to refilter it and put it on the stove to heat it up. Ooops started to boil. Removed the heat and the junk came to the top. If you guys are small at 100+ gals I am micro. I am going to really look more into filtering next year.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 10:23am
When it get's good and roiling initially, crack an egg into the kettle/vat/pot and all debris you missed in the original filtering will adhere to the egg as it solidifies (cooks). Scoop it out with a colander and you will be pleasantly surprised at the small particles attached to the egg. Sounds funny, but it works.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 4:34pm
Tim We bring it home and finish in a pot. We then filter it and have it around 180 deg and jar it up. Do you mean to add the egg when it starts to boil when finishing? I for some reason am confused about the time to add the egg. Do you beat the egg first or just put the whole egg in? I had added the milk just before starting the final cooking. 
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 5:36pm
If filtered well as added to the vat for initial "boil", bring it up to temp, crack an egg into a bowl to ensure it does not have a broken yoke from cracking it open. Pour/drop the entire egg into the sap while it is "boiling". The movement of the hot sap at that temp will allow the egg white to catch any remaining fine particulate and we used to joke that it looked like a little "afro" as the egg "cooked", trapping the particles. Egg will come out covered in small specs and does not take long to firm up so you can scoop it out in one piece with a colander. It will actually be firmer than a poached egg done in water.
To see how it works for a smaller batch, heat up a canning pot of unfiltered sap on the stove, add the egg and you will see how long it takes to grab any particulate.
Enjoy, and "go thick" as we used to say as nothing worse than runny thin maple. Ruined a few batches when young and left to tend the fire, "but Dad, I only left for a minute".
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 4:05pm
Maple syrup: Yes much to learn and continue to learn. I need to get out to the sugarhouse and work on replacing spouts and drop-lines. Only about 1/2 done to be ready for next year.
Filtering is always a challenge.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 4:37pm
Sugarmaker if you were closer I would love to see your setup. (I know Ted J would also) But it was fun to do and will be alittle more informed and prepared next year I hope. Thanks to all that shared their info with me!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by mdm1 mdm1 wrote:

Sugarmaker if you were closer I would love to see your setup. (I know Ted J would also) But it was fun to do and will be alittle more informed and prepared next year I hope. Thanks to all that shared their info with me!

You guys are always welcome! A good source of maple syrup information in another forum www.mapletrader.com
See you there!
Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic